Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

Can I restore back to the stock 2.07 firmware?

Flashing the firmware from Lenovo gives the error "The version of rom file isn't newer than version of bios."

Thank you.

EDIT: I fixed this and shared a tutorial on how to do it.

My post is currently awaiting a mod to approve it.

(My fix was submitted on Nov, 19, 2013 at about 9PM EST and should appear after this one.)

Am I allowed to post a reply yet?

If so, I will edit this post.

If not, I will PM you.

Ok, forget my last post that still hasn't been "approved".

I am not allowed to PM or post a reply.

If I am ever allowed to communicate, I will get back to you nicholas0444.

This is really stupid, forum admin!

UPDATE EDIT WITH THE FIX:

(Oct 26, 2015)

Here's the solution:

Open platform.ini in notepad.

Find the line number 3: "SwitchString=ACEN DCEN CPVER:[1] FHRST RESSEN"

Change the "RESSEN" to "RESSDIS"

Save the file then launch InsydeFlash.exe.

Sorry for it taking 2 years.

None of the many posts and updates I made ever got posted.

Reason was basically that they didn't make it to the server.

Everything I do is pending admin approval and admins don't have anything pending for me, so I don't know what happened.

Ridiculous restrictions.

Flashing the firmware from Lenovo gives the error "The version of rom file isn't newer than version of bios."

bioserror_zps5e3ec4bd.png

Thank you.

(My fix was submitted on Nov, 19, 2013 at about 9PM EST and should appear after this one.)

How did you make it? I was confused by this problem for months, looking forward your guideless.

Hope it should be save and easy to be performed.

Thanks.

If not, I will PM you.

Please just PM me,I need flash from V8.01 back to V2.07 to verify something,

Thanks for your help

@ xNotta Sorry, but we can't make it visible as there is no post, neither pending nor deleted, I don't know why, maybe the Internet connection or lost during server update, but it never reached.

So please simply edit your original post and make it useful instead of making additional useless ones in which you tell people that your post isn't showing. wink.png

Thank you.

If not, I will PM you.

how did you do this?

I can confirm (as others have) that this modded bios works.

Y580 with windows seven, had bios version 2.07.

Had to change RESSDIN TO RESSEN on line three of platform.ini file to get it to work (as OP has informed us).

Thanks slv7!

I can confirm (as others have) that this modded bios works.

Y580 with windows seven, had bios version 2.07.

Had to change RESSDIN TO RESSEN on line three of platform.ini file to get it to work (as OP has informed us).

Thanks slv7!

Flashing with modded 2.07 ROM yields:

IHISI: Flash write error in SMI!

SMI: Return Code 0x25

Laptop is locked and fan is on full blast. Will need to disengage the battery to reboot it.

Thank you.

If not, I will PM you.

Please, i need to know how you did this

Anyone got a solution to the "The version of rom file isn't newer than version of bios?" error? I keep getting that.

Any help appreciated

Answer to that is below, and in many other posts in this thread (and if you scroll up a bit, you'll see it there too), search is your friend.

I would like to flash the BIOS back to the original "locked" version 2.07. How can I do this?

NOTE: before you take my word for it, let someone confirm that what I am saying is correct, which I believe it is.

Anyway, you could go about this three ways. I'll list them from most to least ideal methods.

1. Boot to DOS, and using the same method used to flash svl7's 8.0x unlocked BIOS (located on the first page), only you will be skipping the "BIOS Fix" part and you'd use the BIOS from Lenovo's website instead of thee unlocked one.

2. Download the BIOS from Lenovo's website, and run the .exe file. If you get the "This version of rom file is newer blah blah.." What you want to do is use winrar (or any preferred compression/extraction software) to extract the BIOS file you originally downloaded from Lenovo's site. Then, change RESSDIN to RESSEN in the platform.ini file in line three (as stated multiple times in previous posts) and proceed as normal.

3. Use the FN+B (or whatever your recovery key combination is) BIOS recovery method to flash it. I have a step by step how-to mini guide on how to do this a few pages back.

EDIT: @ svl7, if you're reading this, just wanted to say sorry for calling/referring to you as slv not svl, seems to be a common mistake lol

Hey guy, does anyone mind explaining to me how to flash a BIOS? I'm new to all this stuff, and hardly know any of it.

I need to know more about this because I want to get an Intel Ultimate-N 6300 for my Y580 but just learned that you have to flash a modded BIOS for that.

Any links given would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Hi I have a quick question about the different bios version numbers, currently I'm using a 5DCN89WW(V8.00) bios however that is not one of the options for download, however the 5DCN90WW is an option, is this a mistake and if not does it matter if my bios number doesn't match that of the one I'm upgrading to (89 to 90). Thanks

Hi I have a quick question about the different bios version numbers, currently I'm using a 5DCN89WW(V8.00) bios however that is not one of the options for download, however the 5DCN90WW is an option, is this a mistake and if not does it matter if my bios number doesn't match that of the one I'm upgrading to (89 to 90). Thanks

There is a typo in the filename. You can safely use "Lenovo Y580 - Y480 BIOS v8.00 (5DCN90WW) - Mod.zip"

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello guys!

I just did some tweaking in @svl7 's unlocked BIOS v2.07 for better CPU-performance. Everyone with the unlocked BIOS can do this.

You only have to start your Y580 and press ''F2'' for accessing the BIOS.

Then go to ''POWER'' -> ''Advanced CPU Control''

Now change the ''Turbo PWR Limit MSR Lock'' from ''Enabled'' to ''Disabled''. This allows you to change the Package Power Limit #1 and #2 with Throttlestop. (I raised it from 45W to 56W)

Then also change the ''Long Duration TimeWindow'' from ''28'' to the maximum of ''56''. This maximises the stock Turbo Time Limit for Limit #1 to 56 seconds.

post-10385-14494996778341_thumb.jpg

Press ''F10'' to exit the BIOS and saving your changes.

This settings gives you a better clock stability for the CPU of your Y580.

Hello guys!

I just did some tweaking in @svl7 's unlocked BIOS v2.07 for better CPU-performance. Everyone with the unlocked BIOS can do this.

You only have to start your Y580 and press ''F2'' for accessing the BIOS.

Then go to ''POWER'' -> ''Advanced CPU Control''

Now change the ''Turbo PWR Limit MSR Lock'' from ''Enabled'' to ''Disabled''. This allows you to change the Package Power Limit #1 and #2 with Throttlestop. (I raised it from 45W to 56W)

Then also change the ''Long Duration TimeWindow'' from ''28'' to the maximum of ''56''. This maximises the stock Turbo Time Limit for Limit #1 to 58 seconds.

[ATTACH]10071[/ATTACH]

Press ''F10'' to exit the BIOS and saving your changes.

This settings gives you a better clock stability for the CPU of your Y580.

Does this negatively effect the thermals at all? My laptop runs hot as it is