Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

Do you have a link to the original 8.01, or would you be willing to upload it? If not, I'll just google it some more.

Also, by flashing via DOS, I'm assuming you mean the fpt.exe (as described in slv's 8.0x bios mod instructions)?

EDIT2: Remove whitelist check / add ID's to break hardware restrictions mod requests. - Page 324

This is what I need and was looking for right?

Yes, you can use the FPT.exe in Dos to flash the Bios.

But I am not sure if the attachment is the one available, the comments says DOES NOT CONTAIN EC,but the size is incorrect, Full version(Bios+EC)=6MB but if I remember well,the only bios version should be 4.5MB

Please be careful and make sure to valid every bios file before you take action.

Yes, you can use the FPT.exe in Dos to flash the Bios.

But I am not sure if the attachment is the one available, the comments says DOES NOT CONTAIN EC,but the size is incorrect, Full version(Bios+EC)=6MB but if I remember well,the only bios version should be 4.5MB

Please be careful and make sure to valid every bios file before you take action.

You seem to have a good, working procedure at your disposal. Could you please, for everyone on the forum, write a step-by-step guide?

I've already changed my WIFI card from intel N2200 to Ultimate 6300AGN then to 7260AC and now I am using the 7260AC in my Y580.

I can have the 450M bandwidth while using the 6300 AGN in the three 3x3 mode but it will be only 300M while using 7260AC because there is only the 2x2 mode for this card no matter how in 802.11A/N/AC.

So my point is:

It is necessary to install the 7260AC only if you have the 802.11AC router as you will have up to 876M bandwidth.

But if you only have the 802.11N or A router, maybe 6300AGN is a good choice because the only advantage I see 7260AC under A/N mode is lower-power consumption and lower temperature.

Thanks.

Thanks! You mentioned having the 6300AGN in a 3x3 config, so where did you place the third antenna within the housing?

I'm leaning more towards the 7260 for the lower power consumption and temps. I am in college and am not sure on my school's wireless setup so I don't think the connection speed could be a major difference between the two.

Plus, I would have a Wi-Fi card that will last a few years until the next latest and greatest Wi-Fi standard comes out.

You seem to have a good, working procedure at your disposal. Could you please, for everyone on the forum, write a step-by-step guide?

He already did a few posts back.

My Y580 was with the factory bios version of V2.0x and I updated to Syl7's V2.07 GPU Overlocked and no whitelist at first time while it was released.

Then I saw a version of 5DCN87WW on another Chinese Forum and flashed it smoothly,but this version is not a unlocked nor whitelist removed version.So I wanted to swith back to the V2.07 mod version.It went well during the downgrade to V2.07.However the MC version is missing and there is only the EC version V2.07 after the flashing.

Then I just tried to only flash the MC to V8.01 using the 4.5M's file version,it works again.Now the MC is V8.01(Locked) and EC V2.07.

The last step is to flash the V8.01 to unlocked version following Syl7's procedure.Succeeded again.

So I just want to share with you the sequence about how I finish this unexpected job by accident.

V2.07(Origin)--->V2.07(Mod)--->5DCN87WW(Beta version)--->V2.07(Mod)--->V8.01(Origin)+V2.07(Origin)--->V8.01(Mod)+V2.07(Origin)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9399[/ATTACH]

That's not a guide. Steps involved, links, etc. It's the curse of the noob but I don't know what MC, EC, where to find them, or how to flash them (separately). I do know when I looked at my stock BIOS last, I only saw one version: 8.00. I already bricked my computer, presumably because I did something wrong, and I'm awaiting delivery back from Lenovo. I am determined not to fuck it up again.

Did you try bios recovery? Meaning, format a USB to FAT or FAT32, put the bios you want to recover with (modded, or official) and hold fn+b / fn+r / fn+windows / whatever the combination if right for your laptop. The file name also has to be correct and is sometimes different, such as mine is QIWY3 but someone else who has the same laptop and stock bios version as me could have a filename QIWY or QIWY2. That aside, the short flashing steps nicholas0444 posted is for those who have a stock bios v2.07. Meaning, when they bought their laptop, unmodified, their bios version is 2.07.

Since you say your bios is 8.00, that probably means you have Windows 8 and should just follow the guide in the first post, unless that's what caused you to brick your laptop and in which case you should thoroughly read/search the thread to see what others with stock v8.0 bios did.

I did everything in my power to repair it myself. When booting in any mode the screen never activated, not even the backlight. The unit never searched attached flash drives (they never blinked), but there was bus power. Something was severely ruined, possibly the bootblock. The only misstep I can identify was my using svl7's 8.01 mod when my BIOS was 8.00. I was using Windows 8.1 but Lenovo has not released an update on their site. I don't know what EC and MC are.

When I get my laptop back next week I'll be sure to check in here before doing anything.

EC = Embedded Controler = firmware (i think... 95% sure)

MC = the actual BIOS

When you flash slv's modded bios, that is EC + MC

Did you flash the modded bios using the instructions in the OP verbatim? I know some people bricked their laptops trying to use the 8.01, maybe try the 8.00 this time?

EDIT: When I (semi) bricked my laptop (flashed 8.01 modded from 2.07 modded), my screen didn't come on either. The fan would (quietly) start for 1-2 seconds and then shut off. The backlight on my keyboard would stay on and then nothing from there. Initially when I tried to do bios recovery. I was just shutting it off, and holding fn+b (this key combination is specific to your laptop, most Y580s have the same combination, some don't) and that didn't yield any results. Then I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the proper procedure is:

*Shut off laptop

*Remove power cable

*Remove Battery

*Plug USB in

*Hold power button for 10 seconds

*Press and HOLD Fn +B (whatever your key combination is)

*Plug power cable in

---- DONT RELEASE FN+B YET ----

*Press the power button and continue to hold fn+b, if the key combination is correct, the fan should start at full speed.

*Wait until laptop shuts down, or restarts by itself

*If it shuts down, plug battery back in, and remove USB, then power on and pray for your BIOS to be recovered to the one from your USB

The key part I missed when I tried it from before was to unplug the AC adapter and and plug it in while holding the recovery key combination.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shouldn't the key combo be the same for the Y480/Y580? I don't suppose this info is published anywhere. I have tried that procedure Fn + B as well as R and I got what you described: the fan blew at 100%, no keyboard light, still nothing onscreen. Sometimes it would reboot itself after doing that. I've tried with the variously named QIWY(3, 4, 3207)(.rom, .bin) and it would never work. I tried it also with the file from the BIOS upgrade Lenovo has on their site. It seemed not to even try the flash drive. Thanks for trying to help me. Here's hoping I don't brick it next time because the Centrino 2200-N card blows.

Nothing is supposed to come up on the screen when you start it with the keys pressed, or at least mine didn't. The light on my USB also didn't turn on when I started the laptop, but after 2-3 min it lit up, at which point I released fn+b and let it do its thing, I don't really remember if mine rebooted itself since I went outside for a smoke after I stopped holding fb+b. Were the fans still blowing full speed after it reboot itself or was it nonresponsive (screen black, fans off)?

No I didn't hold the buttons that long. I was under the impression it was more immediate. After the reboot it was back to its vegetative state. So you were able to unbrick it this way? I also wonder where people learned about Fn + B/R since it's not on Lenovo's site or manuals.

If I will do this I will change wifi card for a Atheros AR9280 and everything will be ok?

Your question can be answered by reading the first, and if that's not clear enough you could also search this thread's posts.

But, to answer your question, if you're asking about slv's v2.07 / v8.01 / v8.02 modded BIOS on the first page, then you would be alright. That is, if you flash it properly and flash the one with the whitelists removed (which is all but one I think).

Hello, I flashed beta chineese version bios and then 8.01 unlocked - reboot and everythink was ok. But today i powered on laptop and saw blackscreen((( I tried recovery bios (named it QIWY3.bin and press fn+B) fan started spining up with 100% power and nothing....

Hello, I flashed beta chineese version bios and then 8.01 unlocked - reboot and everythink was ok. But today i powered on laptop and saw blackscreen((( I tried recovery bios (named it QIWY3.bin and press fn+B) fan started spining up with 100% power and nothing....

It seems like a lot of people are having trouble with recovery and 8.01 in general. What was your previous BIOS version? Also, since you did receive some sort of response when trying fn+b (fans going full blast), then that likely means it entered recovery mode but something was off on your USB, like a filename, etc. Did you try different variations of the file? When I had to do this a while ago, I put several different copies like: QIWY3, QIWY, QIWY2, QIWY6; and all with different extentions, I had a couple different variations for each filename, I used: .bin .bi .rom .b (used some others too but I forgot). That last part was probably unnecessary, but I was in a panic during that moment. :S

Also, try to:

*use one of the USB ports on the right side

*unplug charger, remove battery

*hold power button for 10 seconds

*plug in USB

*press and hold the recovery keys (the whole time!!)

*plug in charger, then while STILL holding the keys, push the power button

*keep holding recovery keys!!!

*hold the keys for about 5-6 minutes

At this point if nothing happens (meaning, it doesn't restart/shutdown itself, or the LED on your USB doesn't light up/respond), then you might want to explore other options and read up on some of the other posts on this thread. Or maybe slv/someone else can shine in on your issue, but I think a lot of people had issues with this. You may also want to try reformatting your USB (FAT/FAT32 and making sure that the BIOS you're trying to recover to is either your previous stock BIOS version (not modded), or the one from Lenovo's website. If your previous BIOS version was something other than 2.07, then you could try and search around on this forum or google for the right version. Hope I helped.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi All,

My current lenovo model Y480 has bios version 8.0 (5DCN89WW) I found MODs from Svl7 for 5DCN40WW and 5DCN90WW but no clarity on the 89WW. Is it safe to apply the 90WW mod to my laptop? Is there a way to backup my bios and try this step?

Regards.

My current lenovo model Y480 has bios version 8.0 (5DCN89WW) I found MODs from Svl7 for 5DCN40WW and 5DCN90WW but no clarity on the 89WW. Is it safe to apply the 90WW mod to my laptop?

Regards.

I think more people are having trouble with 8.01 than the 8.00, so I'd say yes, but then again, I didn't have the stock v8.00 bios.

Is there a way to backup my bios and try this step?

• Prepare an USB stick which can boot DOS. If you don't know how to do this, follow this short guide:

Guide by @StamatisX - thanks!

• Download the flash tool, for flashing you'll need the DOS version, but for creating the backup of your current BIOS the Win64 version will do as well, and it is faster. Get the prr tool as well.
  • Grab the modified BIOS you want to flash and the Y580-Y480_BiosFix tool.
  • Create a backup of your current BIOS using the flash tool you downloaded (first step) by runing the included backup.bat, or by using the Win or Dos version flash tool with this command:

-d BackupBiosY500.bin -bios

If you get and 'Error 104', grab this fix and replace the original fparts file with it.

This is quoted directly from the first post by slv