Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

I think the issue could be, that I have a Y580 with Windows 8 preloaded, so I would need the windows 8 preloaded BIOS to be able to successfully recover it. I can't imagine the windows 7 bios working for a windows 8 Y580, certain checks would be failed and it just won't flash. I can get into recovery mode, and I did follow ErYani's instructions (thanks for replying btw), and still no real results. I've submitted a service request and I'm sending it in, hopefully they won't figure out that I tried to flash the bios. If they do, I could end up paying quite a bit.

I can see the flash drive being accessed, but nothing happens after, as if it's finding files but rejecting them. I read that the backup file i created for 8.00 isn't a full backup, and therefore not a fully restorable image. I'm going to try using the backup file one more time, then I'm sending this laptop out for repair. Y580's with windows 8 preloaded should be very cautious when doing this. Don't change settings you don't know about :)

I also called in to ask if they have the preloaded win8 bios anywhere for download, and the guy didn't even understand me until i explained that I'm not an idiot and that the BIOS actually has a recovery method, I just need the right files. He didn't help at all. Chat didn't work either, nobody was helpful.

I think the issue could be, that I have a Y580 with Windows 8 preloaded, so I would need the windows 8 preloaded BIOS to be able to successfully recover it. I can't imagine the windows 7 bios working for a windows 8 Y580, certain checks would be failed and it just won't flash. I can get into recovery mode, and I did follow ErYani's instructions (thanks for replying btw), and still no real results. I've submitted a service request and I'm sending it in, hopefully they won't figure out that I tried to flash the bios. If they do, I could end up paying quite a bit.

I can see the flash drive being accessed, but nothing happens after, as if it's finding files but rejecting them. I read that the backup file i created for 8.00 isn't a full backup, and therefore not a fully restorable image. I'm going to try using the backup file one more time, then I'm sending this laptop out for repair. Y580's with windows 8 preloaded should be very cautious when doing this. Don't change settings you don't know about :)

I also called in to ask if they have the preloaded win8 bios anywhere for download, and the guy didn't even understand me until i explained that I'm not an idiot and that the BIOS actually has a recovery method, I just need the right files. He didn't help at all. Chat didn't work either, nobody was helpful.

I Found Two Bioses you can give them a shot "as same method as i told you"

Downlaod Link Bios.rar

Thanks, but I've already sent it in. I guess if they want to charge me like 400 to fix it, I'll say no and have them ship it back, but chances are I'm just going to accept however much they want. I need my computer for work, I'm losing money by not having it. I did download the file though.

hi svl7

I know this is Irrelevant to topic subject.but sorry I cant find answer anywhere!

I just want to upgrade from 2.07 to 8.01 and unlocking is not important for me.as the lenovo didnt publish any 8.x bios how should i update to 8.x !?

I googled it and i found a Chinese forum:

Google Translate

here some one published a 8.01 bios that work with "insyde flash" exactly like the official bioses .as the forum is in Chinese i just want to know your opinion about it .is it safe to use that for update from 2.x to 8.x?

tnx

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Y580 came with a V8.00 BIOS and thanks to svl7 I have successfully flashed an unlocked v8.00 BIOS. I would like to install and activate Windows 7/Server 2012 and have tried to add a 2.2 SLIC using the PhoenixTool 2.14 but even though it says it has inserted the SLIC I cannot activate. Looking at the SLIC information in RWeverything after flashing would suggest the PhoenixTool did not insert the SLIC correctly. I am curious if anyone has successfully done this yet and how they did it.[h=2][/h]

Is there a whitelist for display panels?

I have a auo b156hw01 v4, and at first i thought i just have only 2 brightness levels, and there is a imcopatibility.

But now i have found something: If i plug in the original LG panel, shut down with the button, plug in the b156hw01 and start up again, i have full brightness control!

I can now shut down (button) and go in stand by (close notebook), but as soon as i use the windows restart function, i will only have 2 brightness levels again.

Aida 64 then has the auo b156hw01 v4 listed as scrren, so i think is disables the brightnes control as soon as it recognizes a different panel -.-

Is there anything known about a panel whitelist, or any way i could fix this? Not using restart is not really an option, as i wouldn't be able to install updates and drivers correctly then :/

Hey all,

I read through nearly all of the posts and I'm rather confused as to which bios I am able to (safely) flash. I already flashed the 2.0X (when I check msconfig for my bios version, it says 2.06, although I think I've seen 2.07 on some other sensor software, gpuz/nvidia inspector or something ~anyway). I want to flash to the 8.0X unlocked bios and what confuses me is, I've seen some posts saying it's okay to go from 2.0X to 8.0X bios, and some posts I see that it's not okay. Would someone mind giving me insight as to what the risks are, if any, for flashing TO 8.0X, FROM 2.0X unlocked bios? I'm not too familiar with what an EC is (referring to the original post), so please, explain/answer my question like I'm 5! :05.18-flustered:

• Thumbs Up 1

1. in short you will brick your gaming laptop

2. you will cry here "what to do next" - go to lenovo service pay extra money for being stupid

3. do you read the first post?

Embedded Controller - EC that controls the peripheral access ports like usb, hdmi, and etc.

Just for the info, the last firmware for Windows 7 versions (2.07) may trigger a bug where the notebook won't return from suspend (like described here: Y580 Windows 7 won't come out of Sleep FIXED SOLVE... - Lenovo Community). The problem is reported on Windows 7 but I can confirm it happens on Windows 8 and Linux too.

Like said on that thread, you can fix it returning your BIOS to verion 2.06.

svl7, THANK YOU for your hard work on getting the 8.01 BIOS up. The install process was relatively easy, the tools you created to make that tricky process happen were great! A donation is forthcoming eventually! THANKS!

Has anyone with the y580 that came with the Bluray drive had any success in enabling the SSD caching? I added a 32GB mSATA drive in the available mSATA port, and the Intel RST software sees the drive, however I do not have the option to "accelerate" with my drives.

In svl7's updated BIOS, I do see IDE controller options for RAID mode, but when I save and restart the system, this gets automatically reset to AHCI mode, which RST cannot operate on. Any thoughts?

Yes,I have lenovo Y480 with 650M D5.

How could I overclock my GPU?I use nvidiaInspector to overclock my gpu clock to 880MHZ ,but its current clock is 405MHz(while i'm running furMark).

Do you have 650M overclock mod? or how should I make mods myself?

thx

You didn't try the usb recovery method yet? Not sure whether it's implemented in your bios, but worth a try I'd say.

I would let the USB recovery method as a last resort option as things may go very wrong for newbie users .... i got a quicker and better solution (certified procedure)

:feel_good:If you guys somehow made a mess-up in the MODIFIED Y580 bios and changed that tempting option you considered it was gonna be the "real deal" in your computing experience... and now the laptop does not display any video or self-shutdown just seconds after you turn it on ... i got big news for you ;:feel_good:

PROCEDURE:

:GB_bonesrock:Unplug the AC adapter unit from the laptop , detach the battery from the unit as well (no power from any source to the system ):GB_bonesrock:

1. Hold the POWER button for 30 seconds ( this time frame must be precise, more seconds wont hurt BUT NEVER less than the specified amount, )
  2. Release the power button and then hook up the AC ADAPTER into the system , hold down the FN KEY while pressing the power button momentarily to turn the system on, but keep the FN KEYpressed until the computer self-reboots a second time, by this time the computer will start again and you will see the LENOVO logo on screen , everything is fine now .... you just performed a RESET CMOS to wipe clean your previous epic fail...
  3. Let the system boot up and reach the OS , then restart the system again, enter the BIOS and adjust system time and other regular settings, as we always say ... DO NOT CHANGE SETTINGS THAT YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH , and even if you know what you doing , your system may hang up with undesired behavior, locks and bricks, keep it quiet guys... not all the options made available work !

if this detailed procedure DOES NOT WORK for you ... service the laptop with Lenovo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Has anyone figured out which EC registers control the fan on this thing? I flashed the unlocked BIOS in hopes of the thermal control options having some effect, but no go--they do nothing. So, I'm attempting to figure out which EC registers control the fan speed so I can control it directly. It looks like register 06 holds the current fan speed, and register AB seems to be part of the determination in whether the fan speed is automatically controlled or not... AB goes from a value of 08 to a value of 00 when trying the fan dust extraction function in the Lenovo energy management software, and manually programming the value as 00 seems to stop the fan speed from changing MOSTLY, but it still trickles downward slowly (no automatic speed increases at all with a value of 00 in AB).

However, I have not yet found which register to write in order to actually set a fan speed myself. Does anyone know what EC this laptop has so I can possibly look for a whitepaper specifying which registers do what? Sorry if this is the wrong thread to be asking this... this is my first post here.

Edit: OK, I guess I've made 2 posts previously that I have no recollection of. ;)

Just for the info, the last firmware for Windows 7 versions (2.07) may trigger a bug where the notebook won't return from suspend (like described here: Y580 Windows 7 won't come out of Sleep FIXED SOLVE... - Lenovo Community). The problem is reported on Windows 7 but I can confirm it happens on Windows 8 and Linux too.

Like said on that thread, you can fix it returning your BIOS to verion 2.06.

But if I'm already with 8.01 can I go back to 2.06?

Is any of the 2.0x users interested in getting v8.01? If so I think there's a way to get this done.

But if I'm already with 8.01 can I go back to 2.06?

There's no easy way to do this. I think I know how but I can't test it myself, you'd need to do it on your own risk.

How do we revert to the stock BIOS? I have to send the computer in for a warranty issue and don't want any suspicion.

You flash your backup.

I have 8.01 BIOS that was serviced by lenovo :rolleyes:

Then follow the instructions in the first post for the v8.01 flashing.