Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

Hi I'm new to bios unlocking but pretty experienced with building computers and computer in general. I have a Lenovo Y480 and a 640m Le in it. I would like to overclock it. Do I need to unlock the bios in order to do that or can I just use nvidia inspector or msi afterburner? I have 5dcn40ww which I understand is version 2. What is the best option to unlock the bios? Upgrade to 8 or stay at 2 and how would I do that. Is this unlocked bios compatable with 640m le and will I be able to set my own clock speeds, memory, etc? Thanks in advance for the help.

The confusion around SSD caching in Y580/Y500 (same chipset) is big, since there are several technologies involved. There are Intel Rapid Storage, Lenovo RapidDrive, Lenovo Expresscache, Lenovo RapidBoot and Intel Rapid Start. (Some may not be avaible on HM76) I have no idea which are differences beetween them or how to configure any of them. It would be nice to understand how to use aany of them with my 32GB SSD.

Pretty confused :ambivalence: ...

Thank you !

As for Lenovo RapidDrive there is an instruction at Lenovo web-site: http://78.9.150.202/pub/RapidDrive.pdf which explains what RapidDrive technology consists of and how to enable it after fresh install or reinstall on Y580.

Thank you all for anti-help! All done without your help.

Thank you so much, svl7 for your efforts! Good work!

Good day to you! I suppose we have the common problem. At first I also was angry since there where no reactions when I call for advice. I think we can help each other. As I have read you have BIOS v.8.00 (5DCN89WW), right? Me too. Can you precise what is configuration of your Lenovo Y580 (CPU model, OS Installed)? And if it is possible can you explain in what way you have been able to solve the problem. Also I'll interesting to know about licensing information in BIOS, is it rest untouched after flash or not?

REDRagnarok (and for everyone who does not speak English), i have Lenovo Y580 with i5-3210M, RAM 6Gb, HDD 1Tb, preset Windows8, BIOS v.8.00 (5DCN89WW). I did so:

1. create a backup of your bios (BiosBackup.bin)-see the first page.

2. Put the files in a single folder (Y580-Y480_BiosFix.exe, BiosBackup.bin, v800.bin (from the archives of "Lenovo Y580 - Y480 BIOS v8.00 (5DCN90WW) - Mod.zip") and do fix for their version of the BIOS.

3. Flash BIOS with v800Fix.binpost-12050-14494995007484_thumb.jpg

If you used fparts.txt file from the folder "'Error 104' - fixed", the same file to use when flashing a new BIOSfix. Before flashing a new BIOSfix necessarily run the prr.exe!!!

licensing information in the BIOS is still intact!

Hi

im new here and so glad for registering in this forum

i want to flash unlocked bios for first time and i have some questions

1 i have the old config of y580 with windows 7 and 2.x bios.so can i use the 8.x version?

2 if the first answer is yes : any problem or unstability after doing that?

3 you told that the graphic clock is tweaked to 1GHz so what about the lenovo energy management software?! is it always 1GHz or only when we use the "dynamic graphic" option in the lenovo energy management?

tnxxx

1 - Not yet, but I'll see that I can upload a proper v8.01 update soon. Most things are ready, just need to find some more time.

2 - Newer bios - less bugs (usually, lol) which means more stability. Though you might not even notice a difference.

3 - You don't need that software, really. The card will only run at 1GHz when running 3d applications on the system.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well something went wrong, My notebook Y580 now doesn't POST (Only starts the backlight led, cooler but blackscreen) And I don't know how to roll back to my Bios Backup ( I have the v8.00 version) with Win 8 preinstalled. Please someone help me , I wasn't able to recover it from the Fn + B with no battery method ( It reads my pen drive but just once , no copy or any signal after . I don't know the correct name it has to be , to restore it).

Please help ! Thx in advance

yeah, got the BIOS v2.07.

i'm interested in the update to v8.01

I've already update the Bios from V2.07 to V8.01 and everything goes well since now.

The EC version would remain V2.07 while the Bios version is V8.01.

Also the Win8 License is Invalid as there is no license in the original V8.01

You can just find the solution in the old post of this topic.

You just need modify the file platform.ini and try again.

The Notebook runs for only a few seconds, then it restarts and then it turns off. I don't understand how to use this solution.

Hi Svl7,

I am still not able to backup my bios. I have not attempted it for a while (had given up) now I came back to it because my network speeds are horrible with this stupid stock wifi card. I was able to do it before but then had to ship my laptop into Lenovo because the hard drive controller fried out. When I got my laptop back they had replaced the mother board with a similar one and I attempted to hack the bios again this time with no luck.

Whe

I did everything like the instructions stated and now came across a new error. I got ERROR 360: Invalid Block Erase Size value in "fparts.txt".

I have no idea what to do next. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Update

I am back to getting Error 103 again!

hello sir,

what happened is that i am on 2.07 unlocked bios (Y580) , so what i did is that i tried to flash my lab with v8.01 i did all the steps that u said at the end it said process completed so i removed the usb and pressed ALT+CTRL+DEL , and thats it am fucked , when i try to power on my labtop nothin happen only blackscreen and my backlight labtop still works , can u help me sir please

UPDATE:-

I Fixed it through recovery using FN+B :))) , its working now

Is it correct that BIOS V2.07 doesn't support my CPU i7 3630QM and V8.00 does?

I think that's the reason why i can't use the recovery BIOS from the lenovo page?

Where can i find a recovery BIOS for V8.00?

Ahh... one little problem. I successfully flashed 8.01, but then messed with something in the unlocked menus, now only get black screen. No POST, or hard drive access after initial spin-up, it's stuck before the bios.

I've read about recovery, and I'm trying some solutions now. I have a y580 with windows 8 preinstalled, trying to recover my old bios. I did back it up, and I have tried to find the filename I need for insyde recovery, but I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. Any help would be very appreciated!

Update: Fn+B seems to put the laptop in some recovery mode, the fan goes crazy and it does seem to have some effect, but I'm not sure which BIOS version/ROM version to try to restore.

Try QIWY3.bin as filename and use your backup file if possible.

Or if you think the system still boots then you could try to blindly boot into Dos and flash it blindly back.

I'll try that, as soon as I can get it to turn back on at all. I tried to take it apart to remove the CMOS battery, but realized it's pretty deep in there. Putting it back together right now, wondering if there's a screw that needs to be in for it to power on...

Update: I've managed to put it all back together, reset the CMOS, and I tried using my backup rom. It didn't work, I'm going to try a few more bios versions, but I do know Fn+B is the correct recovery method. I've tried the backup file and the windows 7 bios, and neither seems to be working. Really hoping to find a solution soon >:

I've tried QIWY.bin/rom, QIWY3.bin/rom, QIWY4.bin/rom, and none seem to work.

I'll try that, as soon as I can get it to turn back on at all. I tried to take it apart to remove the CMOS battery, but realized it's pretty deep in there. Putting it back together right now, wondering if there's a screw that needs to be in for it to power on...

Update: I've managed to put it all back together, reset the CMOS, and I tried using my backup rom. It didn't work, I'm going to try a few more bios versions, but I do know Fn+B is the correct recovery method. I've tried the backup file and the windows 7 bios, and neither seems to be working. Really hoping to find a solution soon >:

I've tried QIWY.bin/rom, QIWY3.bin/rom, QIWY4.bin/rom, and none seem to work.

First Download Phoenix Award BIOS Flash Tool.

Second Open It And Choose Your Bios It Will Give You Your Bios Name That You Shall Use For Recovery After Phoenix Award BIOS Flash Tool Loads.

Third Format A Flash to fat16.

Fourth For Example My Recovery bios name is "QIWY3.bi?" As We Know "?" Character Is Invalid So You Use ALot Of Extension.

Fifth Downlaod The Bios From Lenovo Site.

Sixth Copy the bios to your usb and name your extension as following "keep trying every extension tell it works"

"QIWY3.bi , QIWY3.bi.ROM , QIWY3.bin , QIWY3.fd , QIWY3.rom" Until It Works :)) , I ALready did this in my y580 :)

EDIT:- To Enter Recovery Mode 1st:- Remove AC AND BATTERY

2nd Insert Your USB TO THE RIGHT USB PORT

3rd Keep Pressing FN+b.

4th While You Are Pressing FN+b Power On Your Labtop and plug your AC.

5th if you hear a beeb remove you fingers from FN+b

6th you will hear 12 beebs or more it wont stop so you have to wait and hold your ears for 1to3 min after that you manually shutdown you labtop and you are done :))