Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

Well, you should be concerned about the temps, as they alone can cause the throttling problem. That is also extraordinarily warm for a graphics card. It's bad for the hardware as well as a hindrance to performance. GPUs tend to be a little more fragile than an Intel CPU when it comes to temps. You may want to consider applying a high quality thermal paste, such as IC Diamond and using a utility like HWiNFO64 to force the fans to run full speed under load. If the air intake is on the bottom, simply elevating the back of the laptop may be very beneficial to bring the temps down.

svl7, I had the error Error 104. I FIX it, that is to replace the file fparts.txt, made ​​a backup, FIX your bios, gave up the files to a bootable USB flash drive. And now, I want to flash the biosfix.bin, but don `t know which version of the file 'fparts.txt' used for firmware: from folder "'Error 104' - fix" (207 bytes) or from folder "FPT_DOS" (7,51 KB))? My Bios 5DCN89WW(V8.00).

Well, you should be concerned about the temps, as they alone can cause the throttling problem. That is also extraordinarily warm for a graphics card. It's bad for the hardware as well as a hindrance to performance. GPUs tend to be a little more fragile than an Intel CPU when it comes to temps. You may want to consider applying a high quality thermal paste, such as IC Diamond and using a utility like HWiNFO64 to force the fans to run full speed under load. If the air intake is on the bottom, simply elevating the back of the laptop may be very beneficial to bring the temps down.

I was thinking the same thing about the thermal paste, looks like I have to get my hands dirty! I did try elevating the back of the laptop, that seemed to help a bit. I will see how the temps are when I get the fans to go full speed, see if that helps. Thanks for the ideas.

Hey guys, I have been following this thread and was looking for what advanced menus were unlocked with this hacked bios... I am looking for a solution to turn off optimus... In the stock bios we can turn off the Nvidia card but I was looking for the opposite if I could turn off the integrated so that the video signal just passes through it to the Nvidia!

Anyone with this unlocked bios installed want to upload pictures of the screens?

Thanks!

Thanks, I forgot to upload the latest version... Actually the problem isn't the tool itself, only the parts file.

I am getting Error 103 also. The hard drive controller on my laptop went out and I had to ship it back to lenovo to replace the main board. Once i got it back i attempted to reflash the bios as I had done so previously.

I can not get past the backing up of the current bios due to ERROR 103: There are no supported SPI flash devices installed.....

Is there a new FParts file?

I decided to run BF3 and Bioshock Infinite with a bit better ventilation for the bottom of the laptop, raising the rear about an inch and a half off the table. Saw a drastic improvement in temperatures and no more GPU throttling! Seems that my 660 does not like about 90 C. Temps were in the lower 80's for this test, seemed to run fine. Just need to get a laptop cooler to help out.

Yeah, lifting helps a lot, no need for a cooler imo. If you want lower temps then lift your system and repaste it if you feel up to the task. Also make sure that the cooling fins are free of dust. If you want to go hardcore you could slightly modify the heatsink in order to increase the pressure on the die.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you try the whole procedure with the original parts file? (Not tht 'fix' one)

I can not get past the backing up of the current bios due to ERROR 103: There are no supported SPI flash devices installed.....

Is there a new FParts file?

svl7, I had the error Error 104. I FIX it, that is to replace the file fparts.txt, made ​​a backup, FIX your bios, gave up the files to a bootable USB flash drive. And now, I want to flash the biosfix.bin, but don `t know which version of the file 'fparts.txt' used for firmware: from folder "'Error 104' - fix" (207 bytes) or from folder "FPT_DOS" (7,51 KB))? My Bios 5DCN89WW(V8.00).

Hello! As my problem is close to you can you tell is you laptop comes with i7 3630Q processor and win 8 preinstalled? I have the same BIOS 5DCN89WW(V8.00) and BIOS utility ver 3.7. Earlier I ask slv7 and others what version from the yop post can be used to flash, but have no reply. It seems newcomers are not welcome there, as there is no attention paid to their questions at all ...

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know my performance tweak with the modified bios.

I've upped the short duration time for the cpu from the default 28 seconds to 56 seconds (the max the bios allows me to enter), i've upped the max wattage for the short duration timer from 46 to 56 watts, and changed the max watts for the long duration from 56 to 60.

I did some tests and the settings seem to have stuck (confirmed with throttlestop) and performance seems a lil better, but it could just be a placebo

If anyone has any ideas of anything else to tweak in the bios for more preformance i'd be happy to test :)

Yeah, lifting helps a lot, no need for a cooler imo. If you want lower temps then lift your system and repaste it if you feel up to the task. Also make sure that the cooling fins are free of dust. If you want to go hardcore you could slightly modify the heatsink in order to increase the pressure on the die.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you try the whole procedure with the original parts file? (Not tht 'fix' one)

Yes I did. Then I would get Error 104. Both Fparts files did not work. I did not want to flash the fixed file that i had created from the other motherboard because it may cause issues.

Thanks,

- - - Updated - - -

Hello! As my problem is close to you can you tell is you laptop comes with i7 3630Q processor and win 8 preinstalled? I have the same BIOS 5DCN89WW(V8.00) and BIOS utility ver 3.7. Earlier I ask slv7 and others what version from the yop post can be used to flash, but have no reply. It seems newcomers are not welcome there, as there is no attention paid to their questions at all ...

Hi Guys,

To test what f-parts file worked. Just make a new backup! This time remember what fparts file worked to create the backup and use the same fparts file again to flash. Sometimes one file works other times the other works. This way you will know what file works for you for sure! :)

Hello!

I have one question for svl7:

Enabling RST on the mSATA drive requires configuring the SATA PCH to RAID through the system BIOS, a function that Lenovo apparently does not allow on the Y580. Such a setup is likely done at OEM, meaning end-users will not be able to install an mSATA drive for use as RST system cache.

Do you think it's true that there are two types of BIOS out there, one for units with stock SSD and another for units without it? Even if you buy a SSD and install it afterwards, it will only work as a separate drive and cannot be used for RST due BIOS limitation.

Thanks!

I do everything right? :

1. create a backup of your bios (BiosBackup.bin)

2. I put the files in a single folder (Y580-Y480_BiosFix.exe, BiosBackup.bin, v800.bin (from the archives of "Lenovo Y580 - Y480 BIOS v8.00 (5DCN90WW) - Mod.zip") and do fix for my version of the BIOSpost-12050-1449499499782_thumb.jpg

3. Flash BIOS with v800Fix.bin

Hello!

I have one question for svl7:

Enabling RST on the mSATA drive requires configuring the SATA PCH to RAID through the system BIOS, a function that Lenovo apparently does not allow on the Y580. Such a setup is likely done at OEM, meaning end-users will not be able to install an mSATA drive for use as RST system cache.

Do you think it's true that there are two types of BIOS out there, one for units with stock SSD and another for units without it? Even if you buy a SSD and install it afterwards, it will only work as a separate drive and cannot be used for RST due BIOS limitation.

Thanks!

Hello! May be I am wrong, but there are easy way to verify are there two different BIOS for Lenovo Y580 (with RAID and without) or not. The users who own Y580 with stock SSD+HDD option should see what drivers and software their systems use - Intel Rapid Storage or Lenovo Rapid Start. These two technologies do the same but in different way, so I suppose the drivers should differ.

Hello! May be I am wrong, but there are easy way to verify are there two different BIOS for Lenovo Y580 (with RAID and without) or not. The users who own Y580 with stock SSD+HDD option should see what drivers and software their systems use - Intel Rapid Storage or Lenovo Rapid Start. These two technologies do the same but in different way, so I suppose the drivers should differ.

Hello! I've found that Lenovo only has one BIOS (contrary to the popular belief), because HM76 doesn't have hardware RAID. Lenovo users with stock SSD+HDD have Intel Rapid Storage driver installed and the manager software barely configured. Not sure how well it performs, since I wasn't able to found any feedback from a user with such configuration.

The confusion around SSD caching in Y580/Y500 (same chipset) is big, since there are several technologies involved. There are Intel Rapid Storage, Lenovo RapidDrive, Lenovo Expresscache, Lenovo RapidBoot and Intel Rapid Start. (Some may not be avaible on HM76) I have no idea which are differences beetween them or how to configure any of them. It would be nice to understand how to use aany of them with my 32GB SSD.

Pretty confused :ambivalence: ...

Thank you !