Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

First of all what are your CPU and GPU temps? This could be caused by many things... You could run a prime95 test to see whether the CPU might be the culprit, if it isn't then a fresh installation of your OS might help.

Right now I'm running Prime for 40 mins.. Temps are 84/83/82/79°C And thats the max temp. GPU is getting after hard O/C about 80°C.

I will try installing the OS on some other HDD to NOT lose my data.

Do you think I should install a copy of Win7 from some other source/drivers from some other source?

I'd like to test something, if anyone's with a Y480 / Y580 is willing to help please let me know. Nothing dangerous, just want to try to get a dump of the complete firmware.

I have Y580 and will gladly help you :) Just tell me what to do.

Hello Svl7

I finally took the adventure to flash your unlocked V8.01 version and it works!

It is amazing that I have the bios version of V8.01 and EC version of V2.07.(None of Win8 License in bios)

I just used the dos command flashit xxxx.rom /MC /BIOS.

My machine is still in warranty and I think Lenovo customer service can just help change the mainboard if I crashed my machine.

So I get my target finally.

Anyway,thanks a lot again for your hardworking

If your system still POSTs then I'd say try to blindly flash back with fpt, else there's really only the recovery method. It's described somewhere at the beginning of this thread if I remember correctly, including key combo.

So your bios bricked my computer. I've been speaking with some people and they are telling me Lenovo uses collpsable bioses. IBM is not your average laptop company, they make sophisticated hardware. Fortunately they will repair it for some 150$ bucks...

Warning: fn-b recovery methods for the y480 may not work. Trust me I have been trying for days. Use this bios at your own risk.

Is it really sophisticated, or just crippled? I'd say if it is locked down and hard to tweak, it's crippled... not sophisticated.

It is sophisticated AND crippled. The reason they white list is for monopoly. If Lenovo can guarentee Intel that their laptop will only support Intel wireless chipsets, then they will discount their prices. Those discounted prices are how Lenovo sells it so cheap. That's why its the best cost to performance machine you can get right now. The manufacturer, the old IBM guys, are smart cookies, and they are still building these things. Ideapads are crippled... AND sophisticated.

So your bios bricked my computer. I've been speaking with some people and they are telling me Lenovo uses collpsable bioses. IBM is not your average laptop company, they make sophisticated hardware. Fortunately they will repair it for some 150$ bucks...

Warning: fn-b recovery methods for the y480 may not work. Trust me I have been trying for days. Use this bios at your own risk.

I'd rather say that your user error bricked your system... The bios itself is totally fine.

Sorry to hear that you can't recover, if you're still under warranty you should just send it in and let Lenovo handle it.

Hello Svl7

I finally took the adventure to flash your unlocked V8.01 version and it works!

It is amazing that I have the bios version of V8.01 and EC version of V2.07.(None of Win8 License in bios)

I just used the dos command flashit xxxx.rom /MC /BIOS.

My machine is still in warranty and I think Lenovo customer service can just help change the mainboard if I crashed my machine.

So I get my target finally.

Anyway,thanks a lot again for your hardworking

Seems my bios is pretty popular on the Chinese ideapad forum...

Flashing directly per Dos with flashit should work yes, but only when coming from v2.0x.

Seems my bios is pretty popular on the Chinese ideapad forum...

Flashing directly per Dos with flashit should work yes, but only when coming from v2.0x.

Yes, your BIOS is popular on ideapad.it168.com. I've been searching for posts related to installation of third antenna and accidentally found out some appearences of some modified BIOS with references to this post... Congratulations, BTW !

One question, what are the improvements of the V8.01 BIOS ? Seems like late production models with WIN8 are shipped with it but I wasn't able to find out the list of improvements since the V2.07. Anyway Lenovo should post it at official support page soon.

Thanks!

I'd rather say that your user error bricked your system... The bios itself is totally fine.

Sorry to hear that you can't recover, if you're still under warranty you should just send it in and let Lenovo handle it.

Fair enough, I bricked my system, but the fn-b bios recovery method is not something people should seen as reliable. Lenovo said they would fix it. Knowing me ill probably try and flash it again haha,

Svl, Is it true that if your default bios is 8.0 you use the 8.0 mod and if your bios is 8.1 you use the 8.1 mod? Just trying to define my error so I avoid it next time.

I wonder if anybody can help me with my problem .

I Have a Lenovo Y580 That come with version 2.x of the bios right now it have version 2.07 of bios that I get from Lenovo site . after knowing about the unlocked bios without white-list crap I wanted to use it but I face a problem . I receive an error that the ROM is not newer than the one installed and then the program exit .

Can anyone help me with this please .

Thanks

So I did everything as explained, and it the bios flash worked. I restarted the PC, changed a few things (nothing important, besides enabling the Intel Virtualization something (I can't remember the exact name)) and when I restarted again, the PC won't boot anymore: it just keeps restarting (turning on and off) before it even gets to the Lenovo screen. I tried removing the battery, without success.

Any hopes for me? Did I brick the BIOS? Should I just give it to tech support? It occurred to me that perhaps removing the CMOS Battery and rolling back the BIOS configurations would maybe work, but I couldn't find it. I read in someplace that it is below the touchpad, can anyone confirm if that's true? Thank you very much and I apologize for the desperation! haha

I got the same Problem like okaybr right now. What should I do?

Hey svl7, I'm running 8.01 and willing to do a favor. The only problem is I have yet to get your BIOS to work. I am getting stuck at the "create backup" part. Whenever I run the backup.bat file, a command prompt window flashes and that's it... I really would like to get this BIOS working but alas, I am a college student with finals coming up and can only tinker on my laptop for so long.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey svl7, I'm running 8.01 and willing to do a favor. The only problem is I have yet to get your BIOS to work. I am getting stuck at the "create backup" part. Whenever I run the backup.bat file, a command prompt window flashes and that's it... I really would like to get this BIOS working but alas, I am a college student with finals coming up and can only tinker on my laptop for so long.

Cool, I'll send you a PM with the details, stock BIOS will do the job.

you

As for creating the backup... you need to run the cmd as admin, go to the folder where fpt is, then open a cmd window with admin privileges there and then type backup.bat and hit enter, that should work. If you have a crappy AV software then you might also need to disable it temporarily since it could block the PCIe driver.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello. Anyone able to get the Intel Rapid Storage Technology working ? It was mentioned briefly on previous posts. It seems like Lenovo is using some sort of software RAID. But the process isn't very clear.

- HM76 chipset supports RST (via intel ark info)

- But there are no RAID option at original BIOS.

- Modified BIOS shows a RAID option, but not like one of chipset modes.

I just want to buy a small, cheap SSD and use it for caching the HD.

Any ideas ?

I have encountered a problem with the GPU clock staying at 1000mhz. While playing BF3, for some reason the clock does not want to go above 924 mhz, dipping low and returning up to that point, all indicated on Afterburner. Would their be a way to lock it at 1000mhz?

http://imgur.com/ovvBWZW

This shows the fluctuating core clock, the mem stays put. Could it be somehow linked to the temperature?

Hmm, I don't have a Y580 to test this... do other users encounter this issue as well? Please let me know guys, then I can look into it.

Also... is that your temperature there, the column with the 90s values? That would be pretty hot, really...