Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

then update your firmware... Sold State Drive (SSD) Support

select on this page your product, the ''Crucial m4 mSATA SSD''

then scroll down to ''Firmware Update 07MH''

download the firmware ''Manual Boot File for Windows and Mac''

under the download button is a simple installation guide, step by step for updating the mSATA SSD in DOS.

*the update should also works if the BIOS doesn't recognise the ssd.

I already tried it when I read your first message but the DOS utility is unable to detect the SSD ...

I tried disabling the UEFI and using the SATA Compatibility mode but it's still not working ...

Then there are three options in the Boot Manager: 1. My hard drive, 2. EFI network 0 for IPv4, and 3. EFI network 0 for IPv6. I don't know what options 2 and 3 are, so I chose my HD and then the computer boots as it normally would.

did you made your USB drive bootable?

did you made your USB drive bootable?

Yes, prepared it so that it's DOS-bootable exactly as described in the first post

-----------Edit----------------

Seeing En-TACT's success on page 37, I also tried making a different USB drive DOS-bootable, but I still get the same "System doesn't have any USB boot option" message

I already tried it when I read your first message but the DOS utility is unable to detect the SSD ...

I tried disabling the UEFI and using the SATA Compatibility mode but it's still not working ...

hm :disturbed:

some people had also this problem: Y580 msata problem - Lenovo Community

-> try a reset like here Why did my SSD "disappear" from my system? - Crucial Community

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, prepared it so that it's DOS-bootable exactly as described in the first post

I'm sorry, please wait about the opinion of an expert like @svl7 !

hm :disturbed:

some people had also this problem: Y580 msata problem - Lenovo Community

-> try a reset like here Why did my SSD "disappear" from my system? - Crucial Community

I decided to let the computer without the battery for 10min : the m4 was detected when I booted in the BIOS so I was able to perform the firmware update.

Now it's working flawlessly :encouragement:

But I really don't understand what happened ... :suspicion:

Thank you for your help !

Update :

I tried to flash the unlocked BIOS but unfortunately, as I already have the stock v2.07, the InsydeFlash utility keeps telling me that the BIOS i'm trying to flash is not a newer version ...

:blue:

Do you know if I can do something ?

Hi! I'm new here sry for my bad english

I bought an used y580 after Lenovo warranty repair (fan + keyboard).

I did get it for 660$ included shipping.

The config. was i5-3210M 4GB(one DIMM), 1TB HDD, GTX660M, 15,6" Full HD, NO OS preinstalled.

Firts upgraded to 8GB ram

Second i have upgraded the cpu to i7-3610QM

then installed the modded bios to get a better OC of the GPU.

4GB was 15$

i7-3610QM was 92$, sold the old i5-3210M dor 83$

I'm getting blue screens with no particular message in Battlefield 3..

I tried stock clocks 835/2500 still blue screens..

I want to install the old original BIOS.

I can't revert to original 2.07 bios... it says that my modded is newer..

I have a Win7 Y580 and the flash to svl7's BIOS 2.07 was completely painless and I quickly upgrade to an Intel 6300 WiFi

(I actually ordered a 6205, but they sent me a 6300 in package labeled 6205)

HOWEVER, the graphics card's overclock doesn't seem to be working.

BIOS settings reset to default.

660m 2GB, with the latest 314.22 drivers

(the only option in the Nvidia control panel is "3D Settings")

post-7929-14494994882369_thumb.png

GPU-Z's "Graphics card" tab says GPU: 1000 MHz and Memory: 1250 MHz

GPU-Z's "Sensors" tab only shows GPU: 885 MHz and Memory: 1249 MHz

GPU-Shark says 885 MHz for the GPU and 2499 MHz for the Memory

MSI Kombustor & Furmark agree with GPU-Shark

and they both display "GPU Throttling: -480 MHz"

jdeMTteHFThUk_xs.png

MSI Afterburner has no effect on the GPU or Memory settings.

Any thoughts on why I'm throttled at a max GPU clock of 885 MHz and a max temp of 63 degrees?

Edit: I'd be happy to provide more information as necessary.

I have a Win7 Y580 and the flash to svl7's BIOS 2.07 was completely painless and I quickly upgrade to an Intel 6300 WiFi

(I actually ordered a 6205, but they sent me a 6300 in package labeled 6205)

HOWEVER, the graphics card's overclock doesn't seem to be working.

BIOS settings reset to default.

660m 2GB, with the latest 314.22 drivers

(the only option in the Nvidia control panel is "3D Settings")

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6767[/ATTACH]

GPU-Z's "Graphics card" tab says GPU: 1000 MHz and Memory: 1250 MHz

GPU-Z's "Sensors" tab only shows GPU: 885 MHz and Memory: 1249 MHz

GPU-Shark says 885 MHz for the GPU and 2499 MHz for the Memory

MSI Kombustor & Furmark agree with GPU-Shark

and they both display "GPU Throttling: -480 MHz"

jdeMTteHFThUk_xs.png

MSI Afterburner has no effect on the GPU or Memory settings.

Any thoughts on why I'm throttled at a max GPU clock of 885 MHz and a max temp of 63 degrees?

Edit: I'd be happy to provide more information as necessary.

Are you using the Lenovo Dynamic Graphics power profile?

If not, the GPU will not clock to the higher performance profile set by SL7 in the custom video bios.

Don't use Furmark - problem solved.

Hey slv7 would you have any idea why turning on the lenovo dynamic graphics causes my games to freeze about a minute in?

It seems to corrupt something, I hear sound but video is frozen and can't pull up task mgr to close it. When I hit reboot the comp just sits on restarting screen and I have to hold down power to manually shut down, not sure what's wrong :(

Are you using the Lenovo Dynamic Graphics power profile?

If not, the GPU will not clock to the higher performance profile set by SL7 in the custom video bios.

That fixed it!

My GPU temps are now peaking at 66 degrees.

Thanks svl7 for your work and thanks ilal2ielli for showing me my error.

/GPU-Shark & MSI Kombuster still think I'm running at a memory clock of 2500+ MHz

Where the hell did you managed to get i7-3610QM for 92$ ? :D

Anyway, to flash older bios edit platform.ini at the third line and change RESSEN at the end for RESSDIS.

As you could find it here

I bought the i7-3610QM on allegro - polish ebay. The CPU has a cracked corner:

Galeria zdj?? aukcji Allegro - Galerie Allegro.pl

But the CPU is working 100% ok, in games like COD 4, Crysis 3 or tests like 3Dmark 11, 06 or Intel Burn Test.

You did not understand me.

I want to flash the original BIOS, while flashing the modded BIOS I did change to RESSDIS (btw. why not correct it and upload it again to techinferno?)

The original BIOS is one FILE and I can't change anythink.. only way is edit thru Notepad++ I think :)

I just did this bios unlock so that I could overlock my 660m and I have a couple points and questions to make. I had heard on a few posts here that we should not put our battery on lenovo dynamic graphics otherwise we would not get the 1000mhz and be stuck at 880, but the opposite was true for me, only lenovo dynamic graphics power setting kept my 660m at 1000 and the others I was stuck at 880. Any idea why?

Also, right off the bat I tried to do an overclock while playing bioshock infinite using msi afterburner, I was at a spot in the game where I get 26 fps, so I minimized to msi afterburner and did a core overclock to 1250mhz which increased my fps by 6 frames, and increase my mem speed from 2500 to 2800 only saw an increase in 1 frame. The problem is that when I did this and went back into the game after a couple minutes my computer would lock up, my driver, and the game crashed, and then I went to msi and reset to regular settings and I would be fine.

So I guess my couple questions to this is, is it even worth it to overclock the mem speed if I only see a 1 fps boost? And how come others on here claimed to do 1250 mhz core clock stable while it caused mine to crash after 2 minutes?

Thanks everyone I'm very new to the overclocking business and just trying to learn the ropes, also thanks to op for the bios unlock!

Yes, it is one file, but after executing, it extracts all the files to the temp directory, so you can copy them from there.

Here it is.

Thx :)

I did it by myself yeasterday. Just changed to RESSDIS or sth like that.

Still getting blue screens..

Is there a problem with the power cord?

When I turn Prime everythink is ok CPU is about 80°C.

But when I turn in the same time Furmark the laptop is restarting immediately.

That is a shame.. I cant play more demanding games like BF3 Far Cry 3 cause its bluescreening

1.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

Any IDEAS?

Still getting blue screens..

Is there a problem with the power cord?

When I turn Prime everythink is ok CPU is about 80°C.

But when I turn in the same time Furmark the laptop is restarting immediately.

a few posts before you wrote ''The CPU has a cracked corner''

maybe thats the cause, i don't know

or the gpu doesn't gets enough power and needs a bit more voltage... you replaced the i5 with a i7... it seems like the i5-version of the Y580 hasn't got the same power supply.... but i don't know, please take a look at your power supply and tell us the specifications (input, output, whatever)

I just did this bios unlock so that I could overlock my 660m and I have a couple points and questions to make. I had heard on a few posts here that we should not put our battery on lenovo dynamic graphics otherwise we would not get the 1000mhz and be stuck at 880, but the opposite was true for me, only lenovo dynamic graphics power setting kept my 660m at 1000 and the others I was stuck at 880. Any idea why?

Also, right off the bat I tried to do an overclock while playing bioshock infinite using msi afterburner, I was at a spot in the game where I get 26 fps, so I minimized to msi afterburner and did a core overclock to 1250mhz which increased my fps by 6 frames, and increase my mem speed from 2500 to 2800 only saw an increase in 1 frame. The problem is that when I did this and went back into the game after a couple minutes my computer would lock up, my driver, and the game crashed, and then I went to msi and reset to regular settings and I would be fine.

So I guess my couple questions to this is, is it even worth it to overclock the mem speed if I only see a 1 fps boost? And how come others on here claimed to do 1250 mhz core clock stable while it caused mine to crash after 2 minutes?

Thanks everyone I'm very new to the overclocking business and just trying to learn the ropes, also thanks to op for the bios unlock!

1. Typically you need to test your overclocks to make sure they are valid before expecting them to run games with stability. Download stress testing programs for the GPU such as Unigine Heaven/Valley or FutureMark 3D Mark to test stability of overclocks on core and memory.

2. Changing clocks while a game is running is not typically advised and can cause crashing issues such as what happened to you.

3. Overclocking is a your mileage may vary type of thing. Not everyone can have the same overclocks even with the same settings and be stable, this is why you test your overclocks to see what works for your system.

• Thumbs Up 1

hello guys

i think i could mod the vbios with the clocks i want for the 660m

post-10385-14494994883526_thumb.png

but for some reason the core clock stays at the 1 ghz and the voltage stays at stock 1,1 V, although i changed it both in the vbios! post-10385-14494994883747_thumb.png

so i have to add 300mhz with msi afterburner to get 1300mhz core... post-10385-14494994883981_thumb.png

then it runs stable at 1300mhz..

but then i also got this?! post-10385-14494994884176_thumb.png

so svl7, why the voltage and core-clock isn't changeable? what did i wrong?

any ideas?:disturbed:

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forums so be nice to the new guy?

Brief overview of my problem: I have a brand new y480, I followed the bios flash to a T. Everything worked without error, but when I rebooted I got nothing on the monitor :( so I disassembled. I found what I am pretty sure is the watch battery with a bright blue ring around it, desoldered it, waited for 10 minutes and resoldered it. I figured this would set the bios back to original state. After reassembly I still have no picture. I'm usually pretty good with this stuff but I'm at a loss now. I hope I didn't brick it. Any ideas?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

-Matthew

Which was your original version and which one did you flash?

Dear svl7, thank you for your great works on BIOS !

There is a link of 5DCN87WW(v8.01) BIOS file seem like from Lenovo official : Y480_Y580_5DCN87WW(V0.90).rar_

So could u pls modify the full BIOS [EC+ROM] for Lenovo Y480/580 immediate updated from v2.0.7 to v8.0.1[unlocked whitelist & show advance functions] ? Thank you a bunch !

5DCN87WW(V0.90)(v8.01)

Fixed

Root cause and change descripqion

1.Fixed Windows 8 Secure Boot failed

2.Fixed Unit can't boot from USB shell when USB legacy is disabled.

3.Fixed BIOS Back Flash (setup menu/ configuration page) enables no function, DOS flash will not auto reboot when secure flash enable.

4.Fixed System will auto reboot then enter to Onekey Recovery mode after we select LAN boot w/o connect LAN cable under Legacy mode