Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

Hey guys, whenever I change the energy management to the 'Lenovo Dynamic Graphics' and play a game, it just freezes after a few minutes every time.

This didn't happen prior to flashing the unlocked 8.01 BIOS.

Is anyone else also having this issue?

check your temps, that could be an overheating-issue... (do you have overclocked the gtx 660m?) or it's just a driver related problem. update your graphic-drivers if you haven't got the newest.

Hey guys, whenever I change the energy management to the 'Lenovo Dynamic Graphics' and play a game, it just freezes after a few minutes every time.

This didn't happen prior to flashing the unlocked 8.01 BIOS.

Is anyone else also having this issue?

I uinstalled the program lenovo dynamic graphics.. I find it useless and balance or high performance is already enough. not sure if this will help but it's worth a try!

check your temps, that could be an overheating-issue... (do you have overclocked the gtx 660m?) or it's just a driver related problem. update your graphic-drivers if you haven't got the newest.

Don't think it's a heat issue as it happens before the comp even has a chance to heat up. It freezes before I'm even out of the main menu screens. I'll just uninstall, thanks for the help guys.

Sorry n00b question here: How can I keep the command prompt screen from instantly closing after running the backup.bat file?

I'm running windows 8 and I currently have BIOS version 5DCN90WW installed. I was getting Error 284 for a while, but once I started running backup.bat as an administrator, the error has disappeared (there's no red text in the command prompt when it's open for a fraction of a second). I disabled Windows Defender and my separate antivirus program and the command prompt continues to close very quickly on it's own. Also, where does backup.bat spit out the backup file that is created (i.e. how will I know when the process has been successful)?

Not sure why it closes the windows... that's probably the default behavior when a .bat is run. Instead of running it by double clicking the .bat try to call it from the elevated cmd prompt.

The output should be in the same folder as the .bat file.

Not sure why it closes the windows... that's probably the default behavior when a .bat is run. Instead of running it by double clicking the .bat try to call it from the elevated cmd prompt.

The output should be in the same folder as the .bat file.

Again, my apologies (I really don't have any experience flashing a BIOS or using the command prompt, I'm just trying to get respectable wifi reception and speeds with my y580)--I think I've called up the .bat through the elevated command prompt and this is the message I receive:

C:\windows\system32>fptw64.exe -d-BiosBackup.bin -bios

'fptw64.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

You need to navigate to the folder where you have the fpt tool and other files. I doubt they're in system32 ;)

The easiest way for this is navigating to folder where those files are, press and hold shift and then right click on the folder and choose "open cmd window here".

Else you can use the cd command from within cmd to navigate to your folder. E.g. if you have the fpt stuff saved in "C:\Users\username\Desktop\fptw" then enter

cd C:\Users\username\Desktop\fptw

and press enter to change the working directory of the cmd prompt.

• Thumbs Up 1

Excellent, I was able to create a backup of my BIOS. I have a question about the Y580-Y480_BiosFix tool: following the on-screen instructions, I typed the name of my backup BIOS (BiosBackup.bin in my case), pressed enter, then typed the name of the modified BIOS file (v801.rom, in my case, obtained from the attachment named "Lenovo Y580 - Y480 BIOS v8.01 (5DCN90WW) - Mod.zip" from the first post) then pressed enter. A file named v801Fix.rom was created; however, v801Fix.rom has a size of 0 KB. Does it sound like everything was carried out without issue? Will this 0 KB v801Fix.rom file be the one that I eventually put on my DOS-bootable USB drive?

Also, in the next step (copying the fixed BIOS, the prr.exe tool, the fpt.exe, and fparts.txt to the USB drive), I understand that fixed BIOS is the file that was created using the Y580-Y480_BiosFix tool, the prr.exe is from the "prr tool" attachment (from first post), and the fpt.exe is from the "DOS version" flash tool attachment (from first post), but which fparts.txt should I use? From the attachments I've downloaded, I can see that there are three potential fparts.txt files: one that came with the FPT DOS attachment, one from the FPT Win64 attachment, and one from the 'Error 104' attachment.

------------Edit---------------

Actually, I just ran the Y580-Y480_BiosFix tool again and this time it created a file that is the same size as the the modified BIOS file before it was put through the tool (4,608 KB). I will proceed to copy this v801Fix.rom file to my DOS-bootable USB drive. However, I still don't know which fparts.txt file to use...

Hi svl7, I'm currently using Y480 with gt650m gddr5. As far as I know the only difference between gt650m d5 and gtx660m is core clock. So I'm wondering if you can also make an overlocked version of bios for gt650m users. I don't expect it to be overclocked that much to equal gtx660m,of course.

Thanks for your work !

just a short update from my side :3

post-10385-14494994627215_thumb.png

wish i could change the clocks in the bios to these ones and a VDDC of max 1,115 V or 1,125 V... crysis 2 runs great, even with Maldo HD-Textures v4.0 Final... never goes under 40 fps... i made the screenshot of gpu-z after two hours playing crysis 2 with this mod

post-10385-14494994626983_thumb.png

post-10385-14494994627937_thumb.png

Hi svl7, I'm currently using Y480 with gt650m gddr5. As far as I know the only difference between gt650m d5 and gtx660m is core clock. So I'm wondering if you can also make an overlocked version of bios for gt650m users. I don't expect it to be overclocked that much to equal gtx660m,of course.

Thanks for your work !

What's your vbios version? And bios?

I will proceed to copy this v801Fix.rom file to my DOS-bootable USB drive. However, I still don't know which fparts.txt file to use...

Use the one included in the FPT folder, if you end up with an error then use the one I provided (error 104 fix).

wish i could change the clocks in the bios to these ones and a VDDC of max 1,115 V or 1,125 V... crysis 2 runs great, even with Maldo HD-Textures v4.0 Final... never goes under 40 fps... i made the screenshot of gpu-z after two hours playing crysis 2 with this mod

What's the current max clock you can set? I guess I can increase the voltage a bit, but temps will increase.

• Thumbs Up 1

1300 mhz gpu and 3125 mhz mem.. but i'm running gpu at 1250 mhz and mem at 3125 mhz for maximum stability... just want a bit more voltage, so that these clocks are even stable for future

it would be nice, if these clocks are set in bios

i know that the temps will increase... but I still have the option to re-apply the thermal-paste

big thanks for your help!

1300 mhz gpu and 3125 mhz mem.. but i'm running gpu at 1250 mhz and mem at 3125 mhz for maximum stability... just want a bit more voltage, so that these clocks are even stable for future

it would be nice, if these clocks are set in bios

i know that the temps will increase... but I still have the option to re-apply the thermal-paste

big thanks for your help!

wow 3125 memory.. not with stock voltage right?

my max was 1250 core/2900 memory and got 3,43* on 3dmark 11 and 13,000 3dmark vantage.

btw you were able to dismantle the y580 and re-apply fresh thermal paste on both CPU/GPU's.

I am afraid to take my apart as I have no experience in laptop hardware especially one that's soo tucked in tight.. lol u had to remove the keyboard right? :)

- - - Updated - - -

I am unable to clean the gpu/cpu fans without dismantling the laptop right? I tried pointing my compressed air can through the gpu airflow but it's too small )=

it is with stock voltage!

ny 3dmark 11 score was just a little bit higher then yours.. around 3,47* or something

haven't done it.. but i will buy some thermal paste and do it then

you have to remove nearly everything, like with the Y500.. take a look in this thread http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2773-y500-disassembled-pictures.html

What's the current max clock you can set? I guess I can increase the voltage a bit, but temps will increase.

ah, what i forgot to say... if you would extract the VBIOS for me, i could try to mod it! if you find time you could repack the VBIOS in the BIOS and i would test it on my laptop!

ny 3dmark 11 score was just a little bit higher then yours.. around 3,47* or something

you have to remove nearly everything, like with the Y500.. take a look in this thread http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2773-y500-disassembled-pictures.html

lol +400 over original core and +700 over original memory... how long do u think our laptops will last with proper cooling/whatnot's lol I'd say 1.5 year tops..

btw ya I'm really scared I might break something when i try to take it apart... i'm screwed and none of my friends are techies..

If you ever decide to replace your thermal paste will you please make a video on how to take apart the y580? : )

Hi everyone :surprise:

My Y580 doesn't recognise my mSATA SSD since this morning ...

I tried on an other computer and it's working perfectly so I'm pretty sure that this issue is BIOS related ^^

Yesterday I decided to get back from the unlocked version of the bios (2.06) to the stock 2.07 because I had no need of the advanced fonctions.

It worked well and I was able to use my computer all the night before turning it off.

So I thing the stock BIOS can't handle the mSATA SSD.

But, since i can't boot on windows anymore, I was wondering if it was possible to flash the 2.07 unlocked bios using the DOS flash tool ?

The only problem i see is that the 2.07 is a .rom file whereas the flash tool need a .bin file ...

Any help apreciated ;)

Thank you !

I tried on an other computer and it's working perfectly so I'm pretty sure that this issue is BIOS related ^^

what is that for an msata SSD? A Crucial M4?

if yes, it's definitely a driver-issue and not bios related. because crucial had a bad firmware.. but you can solve this problem, if you install the newest fimware ''07MH''

• Thumbs Up 1

You're right : it's a Crucial m4 with the original firmware ...

The problem is that as the BIOS decided to not recognise it anymore, how am I going to update it ?

There is really no option to perform a bios update from DOS for the v2.07 version ?

You're right : it's a Crucial m4 with the original firmware ...

The problem is that as the BIOS decided to not recognise it anymore, how am I going to update it ?

There is really no option to perform a bios update from DOS for the v2.07 version ?

then update your firmware... Sold State Drive (SSD) Support

select on this page your product, the ''Crucial m4 mSATA SSD''

then scroll down to ''Firmware Update 07MH''

download the firmware ''Manual Boot File for Windows and Mac''

under the download button is a simple installation guide, step by step for updating the mSATA SSD in DOS.

*the update should also works if the BIOS doesn't recognise the ssd.

yes, you can update the bios from DOS. you need a bootable USB-drive

but i would recommend you to get your Crucial-SSD working before updating your BIOS.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, so I'm just about on the last step of flashing my BIOS, but I have a problem. I'm unable to boot from my USB drive in order to flash the BIOS. I prepared the USB drive as described in the instructions on the first page and then attempted to boot from the USB drive by holding down shift and clicking restart in Windows 8. Then, I click on the "Use a device" option and then the only option is "EFI USB Device." I click on "EFI USB Device" and then I get the message "System doesn't have any USB boot option. Please select other boot option in Boot Manager Menu." Then there are three options in the Boot Manager: 1. My hard drive, 2. EFI network 0 for IPv4, and 3. EFI network 0 for IPv6. I don't know what options 2 and 3 are, so I chose my HD and then the computer boots as it normally would.