Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

Hi Guys and thanks svl7 for his awesome work. i got a y580 with a 3630 and a 256gb m4 crucial ssd with win 8. everything works fine, but like the most of us, i want to made it a little bit better ;) so i did a little research and found this side. it wasn't the first time of flashing bios on a computer, but the first time flashing a laptop. so i did the woman way and tried the version 2,0x. everything in the bios works fine, but now i couldn't boot my m4 any more. also it isn't shown in bios. i'm bagging you for some advice :/

Hi Guys and thanks svl7 for his awesome work. i got a y580 with a 3630 and a 256gb m4 crucial ssd with win 8. everything works fine, but like the most of us, i want to made it a little bit better ;) so i did a little research and found this side. it wasn't the first time of flashing bios on a computer, but the first time flashing a laptop. so i did the woman way and tried the version 2,0x. everything in the bios works fine, but now i couldn't boot my m4 any more. also it isn't shown in bios. i'm bagging you for some advice :/

did your system come shipped with win7 or win8?

did your system come shipped with win7 or win8?
it was shipped without an os. I installed win7 and upgraded it to win8. The SSD was installed by myself, without any bios update.

Well, all I can say is that this has been discussed... This way of flashing is not meant to go to a different version. You don't have the EC firmware which is required by BIOS v8.01. Either try blind flashing back to your backup or use the usb recovery method.

Well, all I can say is that this has been discussed... This way of flashing is not meant to go to a different version. You don't have the EC firmware which is required by BIOS v8.01. Either try blind flashing back to your backup or use the usb recovery method.

What You mean by USB recovery method???

Not sure if it will work in your case, but try this:

Put your backup on a FAT formatted usb drive and rename it to "QIWY3.bin". Remove the battery and AC adapter from your system, plug in the prepared USB drive (I don't know in which port, you need to try, most likely an USB 2.0 or eSata if there is one).

press fn+b and keep it pressed, then plug in the AC adapter, system should start, beeping probably, just wait until it reboots. Might take quite a while.

Sorry if this was covered but I'm an uber noob and tried reading thru the thread..

I just ordered a Y580 with the i7 3630qm chip and Win8 preinstalled. Will the the modded BIOS be applicable with Win8? Also how do I actually check the BIOS version that's on my system?

Thanks!

Sorry if this was covered but I'm an uber noob and tried reading thru the thread..

I just ordered a Y580 with the i7 3630qm chip and Win8 preinstalled. Will the the modded BIOS be applicable with Win8? Also how do I actually check the BIOS version that's on my system?

Thanks!

It should not affect windows 8 at all

the license key is in the bios yes but was not changed whatsoever on my side...will have to test again...

I can say this though

i have finallly updated the 8.01 with whitelist and wow thank you gaming experience is so much better (dualband at local game shop where three of us have the same computer lol )

we are in love with this ...

just have to really sniff through to see if i can get more from the memory and get better clocks with it for a snapier feel

Again i thank you for all the work you guys have put into this and the help you have provided...

Way to cool (lenovo why you hate people who want more from the machine-cant be warranty)

Not sure if it will work in your case, but try this:

Put your backup on a FAT formatted usb drive and rename it to "QIWY3.bin". Remove the battery and AC adapter from your system, plug in the prepared USB drive (I don't know in which port, you need to try, most likely an USB 2.0 or eSata if there is one).

press fn+b and keep it pressed, then plug in the AC adapter, system should start, beeping probably, just wait until it reboots. Might take quite a while.

Ok I tried it, but when I put AC it doesn't boot so I push power holding fn+b, it boots and vga cooler starts spinning faster and faster but after a while nothing happens. I suppose that the name is wrong. In stock I saw sth like INSYDEH2O

No, this won't work. With the method I described in post #1 you will only update the BIOS, but not the EC firmware, which is a problem. Don't do it. Wait until Lenovo provides an official update, then you can use the official tools to update your bios, and after this you can use my method.

Going from 8.00 to 8.01 by the way I described in the first post won't work either.

@triggaz: Did you try different USB ports? Also did you make sure your drive is FAT formatted?

@triggaz: Did you try different USB ports? Also did you make sure your drive is FAT formatted?

I tried with FAT32, all my pen's are above 2gb but today I got one and formatted with FAT, will try after my work and report. Hope it will do the trick coz sending to lenovo will last a week or more ;(

Alright so i have the USB now formated with DOS and win98 files..

I am now trying to get my current back up

I have the Fptw64 folder with the backup.bat file and yes the Fptw64.exe

NOW

how do i go about backing everything up im lost

You have stated to run the tool with cmd so i go to cmd

and get to the folder where Fptw64 is located and type start

this is with admin privaleges...it does not do anything..

I have no errors other than error 200 invalid perameter ...

Ok, I failed also with fat format :( what I think is that name of recovery file is different than from 2.7 bios. I also tried Alex tool to get the name but it gave 8 letters mixed wih strange sings. I also tried QUIWY4 name with no luck. Anyone is willing to post a bios image from hidden recovery partition? Maybe it will help to get a correct name...

Alright so i have the USB now formated with DOS and win98 files..

I am now trying to get my current back up

I have the Fptw64 folder with the backup.bat file and yes the Fptw64.exe

NOW

how do i go about backing everything up im lost

You have stated to run the tool with cmd so i go to cmd

and get to the folder where Fptw64 is located and type start

this is with admin privaleges...it does not do anything..

I have no errors other than error 200 invalid perameter ...

Seriously... follow the instructions in the first post. The Fptw64 is a Windows application, and not a DOS program. Do the backup in Windows (with fptw64) and the flashing in DOS (with FPT). That's the easiest way.

@triggaz: No idea, the recovery name should be ok. Just make sure you tried all possible ports. If it still fails try to download the stock bios 2.07 from Lenovo, extract it, rename the bios file to the name I told you and try it again.

Curious.. svl7 what do you mean by blind flashing back to the backup? and triggaz have you tried this method?

@triggaz: No idea, the recovery name should be ok. Just make sure you tried all possible ports. If it still fails try to download the stock bios 2.07 from Lenovo, extract it, rename the bios file to the name I told you and try it again.

But wouldn't it be a bad idea to flash Win7 version to win8 version of Y580???

Curious.. svl7 what do you mean by blind flashing back to the backup? and triggaz have you tried this method?

Basically updating your Bios back to the original without seeing anything on the screen 'blind'

You will have to figure out the correct keys to type in the correct order