Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

well dangit i dont even have a usb to use..my phone iphone wont let me use it as a usb drive at all....i just want to do this so i can use the dang card time now to hunt for a usb stik just to do use the card and maybe clock my memory to proper specs

USB drives are less than $10 and pretty handy to have.

Got my 104 error fixed, flashed like a pro. I still can't get my msata ssd in sata port 0 to be bootable(formats and stores data in windows 8 when booting off of HDD.) but in the very least I got numlock fixed. :D I bow to greatness.

Hi svl7,

I followed the instructions to the dot and now the computer is not booting up. I know that the bios works because the keyboard lights up and FN + spacebar key that controls the keyboard illumination works… I am not able to do anything else. I have tried an external monitor and resetting the cmos by removing all power and holding down the power button for 30 seconds. I am stuck and could really use your help.

Thanks,

Hi svl7,

I followed the instructions to the dot and now the computer is not booting up. I know that the bios works because the keyboard lights up and FN + spacebar key that controls the keyboard illumination works… I am not able to do anything else. I have tried an external monitor and resetting the cmos by removing all power and holding down the power button for 30 seconds. I am stuck and could really use your help.

Thanks,

After about 50 attempts I was able to get the system to boot into dos and was able to restore the backup bios that I had created. For me the USB stick that was used had to be in the same USB port for the system to boot.

I used FreeDOS to do the flash (prr.exe and fpt.exe) and surprisingly it worked fine. Also, the latest versions of Rufus already contain FreeDOS so no external files - it will just blank the drive, install freedos and then you can copy over the additional bios / flash files. Main plus of this method is no installs are required.

Also, holy crap I am not used to this many frames per second. It's almost uncomfortably smooth.

Hello svl7,

Many thanks, Win 8 and 801 bios mod and working like a charm. Laptops are usually a let down in the bios but your mod makes my Y580 look like a desktop! I've read the entire thread and I'm being really cautious on changing anything. I wanted to mod for a reason I haven't seen. I just wanted to have higher fan speeds as I figured there was too much heat when gaming. Is there anything you know of that might cause trouble in the thermal settings?

You can do it old-school and use a CD...

Well i dont know how to do that ..

Along with when i try to do a backup for my current bios of 8.01 it does not show up in the folder nor anywhere on my computer....

with the windows one at least..

unable to do the dos one because well i dont have a blank usb nor cd with dos bootable where i can put my own programs on it not that of stuff i dont know what it is....

Im not great at this just would like to use a 50 dollar peice of sillicon to get dual band that is all and clock memory...thats all icare for...not any software stuff pretty annoying that its a pain with everything i try to do

Got my 104 error fixed, flashed like a pro. I still can't get my msata ssd in sata port 0 to be bootable(formats and stores data in windows 8 when booting off of HDD.) but in the very least I got numlock fixed. :D I bow to greatness.

You need to disconnect all storage cables except dvd/pendrive and ur ssd.

First post revised, added modified v8.01 bios (unlocked, whitelist mod, 660m @ 1GHz core 3d :P).

Took me a while, but 'Error 28' when trying to flash is solved. Don't know what to do about 'Error 104' at the moment. I'm waiting for feedback, especially regarding the GPU mod.

All important things are described in the first post, I will here repeat the most important points:

Currently we can only flash the modified v8.01 BIOS, not the whole firmware image. Therefore I advise you to only flash the modified v8.01 when you're already on factory v8.01. While updating from 2.0x to the v8.01 might work, I can't guarantee success. The new bios comes with a different EC version, using the new bios with the old EC could lead to issues. If someone is going to test this, please keep us informed!!

In case Lenovo puts a new bios version on their support site, let me know. For 2.0x users I currently recommend only using the 2.0x mods. Once an official 8.0x update is available you can update to it and then flash the modified bios provided in the first post.

Bios flashed now, thanks a ton svl7! I now can use my 6205 and use my 5ghz N network. Works flawlessly.

Expect a beer soon for your hard work.

I was able to do this in the original BIOS. All you need to do is under Boot you change Boot Mode from UEFI to Legacy Support. You also should change Boot Priority from UEFI First to Legacy First

- - - Updated - - -

svl7, any chance of an unlocked 2.07 BIOS with no whitelist for those still using Windows 7?

Svl7 already had this working a long time ago. Check the first post where it says ">> For users with a v2.0x BIOS: <<" Its very short and not half as complicated.

svl7, any chance of an unlocked 2.07 BIOS with no whitelist for those still using Windows 7?

I need to fix the whitelist stuff in the 2.0x bios, there's one more thing I need to tweak. Will do when got my main system working again, my SSD died...

Bios flashed now, thanks a ton svl7! I now can use my 6205 and use my 5ghz N network. Works flawlessly.

Expect a beer soon for your hard work.

Sounds good, cheers! :D

Thanks for your work svl7 ! I'm so looking forward to flash it to use my 6300 card. By the way, could you please add a public link of the 8.01 bios? I still need several posts to download the attached file...

You're 'elite member', you have all the download rights already.

Along with when i try to do a backup for my current bios of 8.01 it does not show up in the folder nor anywhere on my computer....

with the windows one at least..

unable to do the dos one because well i dont have a blank usb nor cd with dos bootable where i can put my own programs on it not that of stuff i dont know what it is....

You will need a USB drive or CD anyway, else you can't flash the BIOS. As for creating the backup with the Win tool, you need to run it in a cmd prompt with admin permissions, also some crappy AV software might block it's PCIe driver.

Is there anything you know of that might cause trouble in the thermal settings?

I don't think anything in the thermal settings will mess up, it might just not have any effect. But I don't have a Y580, I can't test anything myself.

After about 50 attempts I was able to get the system to boot into dos and was able to restore the backup bios that I had created. For me the USB stick that was used had to be in the same USB port for the system to boot.

Well, I'd say load the default settings in the stock bios, then do the whole procedure again (including backup, fixing etc).

When I attempt to flash the V801Fix.rom file I get the following errors:

First in DOS I get:

PDR Region does not exist.

GBE REgion does not exist.

Then I get

Error 25: The host CPU does not have write access to the target flash area. To enable write access for this operation you must modify the descriptor settings to give host access to this region.

First in DOS I get:

PDR Region does not exist.

GBE REgion does not exist.

Then I get

Error 25: The host CPU does not have write access to the target flash area. To enable write access for this operation you must modify the descriptor settings to give host access to this region.

The first two don't matter, and it's correct, those don't exist.

The second one however shouldn't occur. Run the tool with -i as parameter and post the output here. (I.e. run this and then post the content of the generated txt file):

fpt -i > info.txt

I attempted to flash the v801fix.rom once again and i am running into the same bootup problems.

Here i the info from the info.txt file you requested:

Intel ® Flash Programming Tool. Version: 8.1.10.1286

Copyright © 2007 - 2012, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Platform: Intel® HM76 Express Chipset

Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---

EN25Q32B ID:0x1C3016 Size: 4096KB (32768Kb)

W25Q16BV ID:0xEF4015 Size: 2048KB (16384Kb)

--- Flash Image Information --

Signature: VALID

Number of Flash Components: 2

Component 1 - 4096KB (32768Kb)

Component 2 - 2048KB (16384Kb)

Regions:

Descriptor - Base: 0x000000, Limit: 0x000FFF

BIOS - Base: 0x180000, Limit: 0x5FFFFF

ME - Base: 0x001000, Limit: 0x17FFFF

GbE - Not present

PDR - Not present

Master Region Access:

CPU/BIOS - ID: 0x0000, Read: 0x0B, Write: 0x0A

ME - ID: 0x0000, Read: 0x0D, Write: 0x0C

GbE - ID: 0x0118, Read: 0x08, Write: 0x08

Total Accessable SPI Memory: 6144KB, Total Installed SPI Memory : 6144KB

FPT Operation Passed

This is all okay, you have write access. Make sure you type the flash command correctly. Check the first post.

- - - Updated - - -

Does any1 have any ideas to overclock the 660m on 2.0x bios? Past the 135 mhz threshold? Thank you:)

I'll get to that once I have my main system is working again, will take a couple of days until I'm back to modding.

Oh ok, thank you very much I didn't mean to trouble you. I thought it was something I could've done on my own without driving you up the wall:) Whether you get a fix out or not I hope ur system is up and running soon:)

I see that you have an m15x, I wanted to know if I do get it, is it easy (or do-able at least) to switch out the cpu and gpu?