Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

Is it possible to back flash my bios to 2.06 or 2.07 from 8.01 on the Y580 with InsydeH20 rev3.7?

Im curious because i just really want to use my centrino 6300 for dual band

Also whenever a bios hack comes for 8.01 lets hope it lets me clock my memory (yes overclocking is possible if your able to keep it cool like i can cold house cooling pad and cold winter temps outdoors budled up in a jacket and wool socks good to go

I do not know whether it is possible to use a 2.07 BIOS on the models that ship with 8.01. I have also been led to believe that modifying the 8.01 BIOS is not possible unless it is made available to download from Lenovo (using a tool to backup the BIOS does not get the entire image, leading me to question the usefulness of such a tool.) I tried calling Lenovo support today to get them to post it online, but I didn't have much success. I found it difficult to convey to them what I was even requesting. Perhaps others can try too.

i can safely confirm that the BIOS works with my Y580 (windows 7 version). BIOS shows v2.07. No whitelist for WLAN cards (using an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235, same as above), but BIOS is not expanded (i.e. no unlocked hidden functions), just basic BIOS functions as default. Have not tested with any 3D games yet to see what the BIOS has fixed, but so far my system is running fine.

Can you or anybody else who has installed the 2.07 BIOS (modded or not) use this tool to create a backup of your BIOS and post it here?

I updated the Centrino 2200 driver first. Then upgraded to Windows 8 Pro. It was after upgrading and downloading all the O/S required updates that I saw a solid connection. So whether you update the WLAN driver first or WIN 8 Pro first, it does not matter. But in my case how I went about, I would have to say the WIN 8 Professional version must have done the solid connection.

I tried Windows 8 for a little while but found the metro interface a little...discouraging. I was just wondering if the card with the Intel update will stop dropping connections.

I updated the Centrino 2200 driver first. Then upgraded to Windows 8 Pro. It was after upgrading and downloading all the O/S required updates that I saw a solid connection. So whether you update the WLAN driver first or WIN 8 Pro first, it does not matter. But in my case how I went about, I would have to say the WIN 8 Professional version must have done the solid connection.

I tried Windows 8 for a little while but found the metro interface a little...discouraging. I was just wondering if the card with the Intel update will stop dropping connections.

Upgrade to WIN8 PRO and the latest Intel 2200 drivers.. from that, I have been receiving a solid connection!

I think that lenovo has released the BIOS for 8.01 on the site as an .exe

But i think you can go into 7zip and find the bios file there...

not sure though

Im not to good about this bios thing with how to unlock things and what not just know Memory benching and overclocking and such :D

Thanks I'll try it out!

Has anyone been able to succesfully flash bios v8.01 yet??

No. Version 8.01 is not available for download from Lenovo support. If you want a modded 8.0x BIOS, you will need to wait until Lenovo releases one (to fix some unrelated issue). You could try flashing a modded 2.07 BIOS by changing some of the options in the InsydeFlash tool, although the results of doing that are uncertain and I wouldn't recommend doing it. Your best bet is to request the original 8.01 BIOS from Lenovo on their forums or through their phone support, or to find some BIOS bug so that they will upload an updated 8.0x version (which would then be modified to remove the whitelist.)

Also, to other users (someone with a Y580 that shipped with Windows 7). There is a [backupROM] option in the InsydeFlash tool. I have been unsuccessful at getting this to dump the BIOS currently on the laptop (it only creates a backup of the BIOS you are about to flash). It is supposed to do both, although this may be because I haven't actually tried to flash any BIOS (since I don't have a modded 8.01 to flash, or any 8.01 for that matter.) It would be nice if one of you (the users with the 2.0x) could try turning the backup option on and flashing the stock 2.07 bios or any of the modded 2.0x bios to see if the tool will actually dump your bios upon a flash attempt. If it does, then it may allow 8.0x users a way to obtain a modifiable 8.01 bios allowing us all to remove the whitelist.

No. Version 8.01 is not available for download from Lenovo support. If you want a modded 8.0x BIOS, you will need to wait until Lenovo releases one (to fix some unrelated issue). You could try flashing a modded 2.07 BIOS by changing some of the options in the InsydeFlash tool, although the results of doing that are uncertain and I wouldn't recommend doing it. Your best bet is to request the original 8.01 BIOS from Lenovo on their forums or through their phone support, or to find some BIOS bug so that they will upload an updated 8.0x version (which would then be modified to remove the whitelist.)

Also, to other users (someone with a Y580 that shipped with Windows 7). There is a [backupROM] option in the InsydeFlash tool. I have been unsuccessful at getting this to dump the BIOS currently on the laptop (it only creates a backup of the BIOS you are about to flash). It is supposed to do both, although this may be because I haven't actually tried to flash any BIOS (since I don't have a modded 8.01 to flash, or any 8.01 for that matter.) It would be nice if one of you (the users with the 2.0x) could try turning the backup option on and flashing the stock 2.07 bios or any of the modded 2.0x bios to see if the tool will actually dump your bios upon a flash attempt. If it does, then it may allow 8.0x users a way to obtain a modifiable 8.01 bios allowing us all to remove the whitelist.

if you want to do a backup try this insydeflash utility posted in lenovo support web page decompressed it and from the windows command prompt use this command line "InsydeFlash.exe anyname.fd /g"

best regards

hp:adoration:

if you want to do a backup try this insydeflash utility posted in lenovo support web page decompressed it and from the windows command prompt use this command line "InsydeFlash.exe anyname.fd /g"

best regards

hp:adoration:

Thank you for this advice. It seemed to work, although it does not copy the EC portion of the BIOS file. The InsydeFlash tool has an option to disable EC flashing and no size errors are thrown when attempting to flash the BIOS I dumped. I believe this should be safe to modify, although I am not an expert. It would be nice to have someone take a look at it. I uploaded it here.

Thank you for this advice. It seemed to work, although it does not copy the EC portion of the BIOS file. The InsydeFlash tool has an option to disable EC flashing and no size errors are thrown when attempting to flash the BIOS I dumped. I believe this should be safe to modify, although I am not an expert. It would be nice to have someone take a look at it. I uploaded it here.

appears that the link is dead

{"error": "Service Unavailable"}

also take a look at this, maybe could be of your interest. third post

good luck

best regards

hp:friendly_wink:

appears that the link is dead

also take a look at this, maybe could be of your interest. third post

good luck

best regards

hp:friendly_wink:

That link was helpful. I extracted every module from the stock 2.07 BIOS and the one serg008 modified and then hashed all of the modules to see which ones had been changed. The 11D378C2-B472-412F-AD87-1BE4CD8B33A6 had been changed (referenced in the link) as well as the 4082D1D0-1744-4EE3-803E-B8EE3F07B2FE module. There may have also been a difference in some padding. I don't know why the second module has modified, but the presence of the first module seems to agree with the link. I removed the module from the 11D378C2-B472-412F-AD87-1BE4CD8B33A6 BIOS I ripped. I then opened the BIOS with an application and explored its memory space with a hex editor. The message about detecting an unauthorized wifi card had been removed (you can find it if you do the same thing the unmodified version.) I am convinced that deleting the module should remove the whitelist. The only problem is that I can't get the BIOS to flash. I get an SMI 0x25 error when flashing (with EC disabled.) The same error is thrown even when trying to flash the BIOS I dumped using InsydeFlash (although it seems to get about 2/3 the way through flashing before the error is thrown instead of immediately with my modified BIOS.) Not quite sure what to do at this point.

Also, I was able to download the BIOS from the link, but just in case, here is another. filehosting.org - download page for QIWY3.bin

i Need HELP!! i Mess UP my Bios, i have y580 with bios 5DCN40WW, then i flash 5DCN90WW with some error (cant remember) now in my bios the appear like this :

bios version 5DCN90WW

EC Version 5DCN40WW.

I tried to reflash back with 5DCN40WW but getting error: flash write error in smi

Help me pleae anyone!~~:cry_002:

Today I installed the Intel wifi card 6300. Although I did not notice any increase in performance or stability, the card works without a problem. Bios did not show any errors. I replaced the card intel 6200 to Intel 6300. So the BIOS in the first post work with both cards.

• Thumbs Up 1

i Need HELP!! i Mess UP my Bios, i have y580 with bios 5DCN40WW, then i flash 5DCN90WW with some error (cant remember) now in my bios the appear like this :

bios version 5DCN90WW

EC Version 5DCN40WW.

I tried to reflash back with 5DCN40WW but getting error: flash write error in smi

Help me pleae anyone!~~:cry_002:

Where did you even find a 5DCN90WW BIOS to flash?

Some of You wrote that you have installed intel 6300 wifi card. So I assume that you have added 3rd antenna to your Y580. Please tell or better show me where have you installed it?

I installed my in TV card place. I have to come really close to my router (ASUS RT-N66u) to get 450Mbit/s. I wonder if I installed my 3rd antenna correctly.

post-9054-14494994250197_thumb.jpg

That is just an image of the bios, it doesn't contain the rest of the firmware.... you can't use it to safely upgrade when you come from an older, non-win8 bios. Do you have any issues now? From reading your post it seems that you can still boot your system, access the bios and all... Generally it doesn't really matter when you have an older EC... as long as it works :)

That is just an image of the bios, it doesn't contain the rest of the firmware.... you can't use it to safely upgrade when you come from an older, non-win8 bios. Do you have any issues now? From reading your post it seems that you can still boot your system, access the bios and all... Generally it doesn't really matter when you have an older EC... as long as it works :)
i know,, soo silly, but now problem is my nvidia driver always stop working and recover , before this no problem at all

Well, you can easily downgrade to your old bios... do you have a backup of your old bios? The driver problem could be caused by the vbios... It's possible that they updated the vbios in the new bios. Are you using the latest nvidia driver?

i know,, soo silly, but now problem is my nvidia driver always stop working and recover , before this no problem at all

Use InsydeFlash to backup your BIOS image and post it here for looking at.

InsydeFlash backup.fd /g

Use that through the command line after you've navigated to the folder that contains InsydeFlash utility.

Anybody do anything with 8.01 bios yet for later models

just curious because might just sell the 6300 card and go with getting a caddy and a larger 2.5 ssd if that is the case found a 256 GB for 50 bucks samsung 830 on craigslist :D (something has to be up with it prob just going to fix it and do firmware updates to it for reassurance)

If nobody has or will i will just sell and get some things that are a must

Coming soon, most is ready, need to add some stuff to the first post. Can you post a GPU-Z screenshot showing your 660m? Also I could use a second dump of the v8.01 bios.