Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

I get my laptop with 6GB of RAM factory def.

Then im very upset because its 8GB RAM limit after i bought from the shop where i bought my laptop (the same day) more 4GB RAM.

Now i would like to have 16 GB RAM in my rig.

I have to sell my 8 GB kit then buy 16 kit its horrible i hate run forest run style thing im too lazy for this.

wtf why reseller not offer me first 16GB RAM kit? it's peace of cake :)

im not sure i will buy 16kit im only curious about this theme and my intuition is become true :S

About SRT:

I read on the interenet that the overall system can benefit from srt tech about 30-35%

Everybody who want SRT setup need y580 fully unlocked bios beacasue of raid is a must have requirement

BUT what people do if sofware raid0 with ssd get corrupted? everything will be gone.

MAKE a complete system backup before do this ssd+hdd mix!

If I understand it correctly, SRT works by using your SSD of choice as a cache. It does not combine your HDD and SDD into a single volume like Lenovo's cache system.

This makes it more redundant in case of SSD failure/removal.

In regards to a whitelist BIOS and this weak 2200 card. Two weeks ago I upgraded Windows 8 on my Y580 to Windows 8 Pro (39.99) and updated the Intel Centrino 2200 software to ver.15.5.6.48. Until now, I would have to say as a temporary fix, it's been a solid wireless connection without a single disconnect throughout the house.

If I understand it correctly, SRT works by using your SSD of choice as a cache. It does not combine your HDD and SDD into a single volume like Lenovo's cache system.

This makes it more redundant in case of SSD failure/removal.

You are wrong ssd become hidden when srt is active on your system and make an opposite what u think.

hybrid drive does not give you more performance than ssd+hdd alone its almost same performance with glitches.

In real SRT works as software layer.

Intel products have predetermined support cycle(from currents os to next one) and intel doesn't give us updated software anymore.

eg. why not release updated srt drivers for its legacy products. Intel is too greedy $$$.

If u install your windows system on ssd and want srt the same time = srt worthless u dont get sinificant performance.

the best is seperate disks with system on ssd and hdd for data storage.

i quote from andatech article:

AnandTech - Intel Z68 Chipset & Smart Response Technology (SSD Caching) Review

in short:

"SRT won't work in AHCI or IDE modes."

Enhanced mode is the most secure, but it limits the overall performance.

In enhanced mode, if you disconnect your SSD cache or the SSD dies, your system will continue to function normally.

Maximized mode offers the greatest performance benefit, however it also comes at the greatest risk.

Maximized mode:

Cacheable writes just have to hit the SSD before being considered serviced. Intel then conservatively writes that data back to the hard drive later on.

Enhanced mode makes the SSD cache behave as a write through cache, where every write must hit both the SSD cache and hard drive before moving on. Whereas in maximized mode the SSD cache behaves more like a write back cache, where writes hit the SSD and are eventually written back to the hard drive but not immediately.

You are wrong ssd become hidden when srt is active on your system and make an opposite what u think.

hybrid drive does not give you more performance than ssd+hdd alone its almost same performance with glitches.

In real SRT works as software layer.

Intel products have predetermined support cycle(from currents os to next one) and intel doesn't give us updated software anymore.

eg. why not release updated srt drivers for its legacy products. Intel is too greedy $$$.

If u install your windows system on ssd and want srt the same time = srt worthless u dont get sinificant performance.

the best is seperate disks with system on ssd and hdd for data storage.

i quote from andatech article:

AnandTech - Intel Z68 Chipset & Smart Response Technology (SSD Caching) Review

in short:

"SRT won't work in AHCI or IDE modes."

Enhanced mode is the most secure, but it limits the overall performance.

In enhanced mode, if you disconnect your SSD cache or the SSD dies, your system will continue to function normally.

Maximized mode offers the greatest performance benefit, however it also comes at the greatest risk.

Maximized mode:

Cacheable writes just have to hit the SSD before being considered serviced. Intel then conservatively writes that data back to the hard drive later on.

Enhanced mode makes the SSD cache behave as a write through cache, where every write must hit both the SSD cache and hard drive before moving on. Whereas in maximized mode the SSD cache behaves more like a write back cache, where writes hit the SSD and are eventually written back to the hard drive but not immediately.

It doesn't combine the SSD and the HDD into one volume. The SSD simply becomes a transparent cache.

My Y580 arrived a few days ago. I've installed a 128 gb mSATA drive and put Windows 7 on it. It's running very nicely. The 6205 is here as well. Was busy with school earlier this week, but I have time now if svl7 has time for bios experimentation.

Is it possible to hook up the msata and an ssd together in RAID0?

In regards to a whitelist BIOS and this weak 2200 card. Two weeks ago I upgraded Windows 8 on my Y580 to Windows 8 Pro (39.99) and updated the Intel Centrino 2200 software to ver.15.5.6.48. Until now, I would have to say as a temporary fix, it's been a solid wireless connection without a single disconnect throughout the house.

Have you tried downloading anything big? My 2200 card drops the signal after about 20 minutes or so of downloading.

For anyone that want bios with no whitelist, here it is:

-Manufacturer: Lenovo

-Motherboard Model: Ideapad Y480, Y580

-Bios Rev: 5DCN40WW

-Bios Type: Insyde

-Bios Download Link: http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/5dcn40ww.exe

Modded with Phoenix SLIC Mod 2.12

Mod method: Dynamic+NoSlic +HEX (WLAN/WWAN WList check removed)

Modified Bios:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y480-Y580_5Dcn40ww__WL.rar

Download Lenovo IdeaPad Y480-Y580_5Dcn40ww__WL.rar from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Flash from Windows with Included Flash Utility.

All credits goes to Serg008.

Test by me on Y480 with Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235, BroadCom BCM94313HMGB (Combo) and Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300.

I tried 2.06-unlocked, but couldn't get SRT caching to work..

see some BIOS screenshots on this link: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B34sCgE98czmY29GcWs3VXVDRE0/edit

in the "Configuration" screen ATA mode: RAID is not available

it's possible to set it to RAID in the Advanced/IDE Configuration menu

but going back to the Configuration menu shows an error and the setting is reverted to AHCI after key-press (like a conflict is detected by having IDE mode set in Adv/IDE to a value that's not available in the basic Config)

• Thumbs Up 1

lukemanz:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y480-Y580_5Dcn40ww__WL.rar modified bios works on win7/freedos version?

ired:

it must be configuration > sata controller mode > raid otherwise srt caching not works.

wkers:

"

It doesn't combine the SSD and the HDD into one volume. The SSD simply becomes a transparent cache. "

i don't have ssd drive i cant try this but Intel driver makes raid0 default configuration automatically.

i read this from intel srt user manual.

Transparent means driver makes everything AUTOMATICALLY in background.

now i'm not sure whether srt combines anything.

We have to figure it out how srt works in practice.

Is it possible to hook up the msata and an ssd together in RAID0?

Have you tried downloading anything big? My 2200 card drops the signal after about 20 minutes or so of downloading.

Mine used to do that too.. I would lose a connection almost evey 30-45mins of use. Yesterday, I downloaded UBUNTU (~800MB) with it, completed without an interrruption/disconnect. Connection holds solid now, but I prefer to install my 6205 card.

Test by me on Y480 with Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235, BroadCom BCM94313HMGB (Combo) and Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300.

has anyone else tried flashing the above unlocked 2.07 BIOS for their Y580? Encountered any problems?

lukemanz:

ired:

it must be configuration > sata controller mode > raid otherwise srt caching not works.

I know that.. The point is that with the unlocked BIOS version

while it's possible to set the IDE mode to RAID in the Advanced/IDE Configuration (there in no such menu in the stock BIOS)

it's not possible to set it in the main Configuration > sata controlller mode setting.

Now.. the question; is it possible to further hack the unlock to include RAID option in the Configuration > sata controller mode setting.

and if it is possible, would it actually work..

Hi all!

I recently ordered the y580 and I believe it will ship with windows 8 and the 3630qm (will confirm when I receive on Wednesday, including which bios version). For such a great laptop, I can't believe the wireless card is subpar.

I have been following this thread since I was aware of the issue, and wanted to ask which ultimate-n 3000 card various users have ordered. I can only assume it is the half height card. I have read numerous comments on amazon (someone posted that they ordered from amazon), that many of the cards are counterfeit and difficult to return. Seeing as most of them are ~$50 I'd rather not take my chances and would like verified sellers. I am also wanting to purchase a third antenna to fully utilize the card (info appreciated as well).

So far, I believe the link by svl7 on the first page is the most recent one that should work with the specs mine is shipped with. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am sorry if these are newb questions but this is the first laptop I've purchased and would like to make it worth the money, (i.e. wireless that actually works :) )

Also, has anyone been able to successfully dual-boot Windows and any Linux distro (I will be installing Fedora) using an SSD drive that is compatible with the ultimate-n 3000? I am wanting to upgrade to 128GB SSD drive (Crucial m4 128GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s?), and from other posts I've read, there is space for it. My ultimate goal would be to have the os's on the SSD and use the terry HDD for storage.

Thank you so much for any feedback and info, it is greatly appreciated!!!!

Well this sucks wish i knew more about bios modding and so forth in order to go into

the

InsydeH20 Rev.3.7 bios

with version 8.01

kinda blows that lenovo did this to customers wanting to get the most out of an expensive system...

Mine used to do that too.. I would lose a connection almost evey 30-45mins of use. Yesterday, I downloaded UBUNTU (~800MB) with it, completed without an interrruption/disconnect. Connection holds solid now, but I prefer to install my 6205 card.

Did you upgrade the driver to get a solid signal?

should usually always update drivers on wifi cards they typically help out thats why they are updated?

Update from intel the wifi drivers and the usb drivers

helps

also realtek drivers for audio they are updates for it

also gpu of course both nvidia and intel 4000 for y580 with 3rd gen

hey guys did anyone flashed ur system tht came with a windows 8 ? im asking cuz i read tht the win8 key or license comes embedded in the system. so did anyone loose their key or license of the org windows tht came with the system ??

Anyone have any information as to the best-working drivers for stock WiFi card?

Also, what would be the best WiFi card to replace the 2200 with? I have heard of some people buying the 6205/6300... Is there a list of confirmed-to-work replacement WiFi cards? Would like to be sure before I buy one.

Sorry for the novice questions.

Thanks.

Did you upgrade the driver to get a solid signal?

I updated the Centrino 2200 driver first. Then upgraded to Windows 8 Pro. It was after upgrading and downloading all the O/S required updates that I saw a solid connection. So whether you update the WLAN driver first or WIN 8 Pro first, it does not matter. But in my case how I went about, I would have to say the WIN 8 Professional version must have done the solid connection.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have any information as to the best-working drivers for stock WiFi card?

Also, what would be the best WiFi card to replace the 2200 with? I have heard of some people buying the 6205/6300... Is there a list of confirmed-to-work replacement WiFi cards? Would like to be sure before I buy one.

Sorry for the novice questions.

Thanks.

If there is a whitelist BIOS available, go with the Centrino 6205 (no BT) for your Y580. You can find them on Amazon for 9.99.

i can safely confirm that the BIOS works with my Y580 (windows 7 version). BIOS shows v2.07. No whitelist for WLAN cards (using an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235, same as above), but BIOS is not expanded (i.e. no unlocked hidden functions), just basic BIOS functions as default. Have not tested with any 3D games yet to see what the BIOS has fixed, but so far my system is running fine.