Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

I created an account here because this thread was of particular interest to me. It is clear that there are different firmware versions being released with the Y580 that are related to differences in hardware and that a modified 8.0x firmware version will be necessary for some users in order to remove whitelist enforcement. I have fount at least six different versions of this product on Newegg, there may be others.

Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Y580 (20994CU) Notebook Intel Core i7 3610QM(2.30GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory DDR3 1600 750GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Y580 (20994EU) Notebook Intel Core i7 3610QM(2.30GHz) 15.6" 8GB Memory DDR3 1600 750GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Y580 (59345715) Notebook Intel Core i7 3630QM(2.40GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory 750GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Y580 (59345717) Notebook Intel Core i7 3630QM(2.40GHz) 15.6" 8GB Memory 1TB HDD Blu-ray Combo NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Y580 (59353260) Notebook Intel Core i7 3630QM(2.40GHz) 15.6" 8GB Memory 750GB HDD + 16GB SSD HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Y580 (209942U) Notebook Intel Core i7 3610QM(2.30GHz) 15.6" 8GB Memory DDR3 1600 1TB HDD 5400rpm Blu-ray RAMBO (Re-writeable) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

One major difference not immediately evident in these is the type of panel that is being used. Some of them have a 720P panel while some utilize a 1080P panel. A resolution of 1366 x 768 is also listed for some, although I think it may just be the same 720P panel. Perhaps this has something to do with the different firmware versions in the thread, although perhaps not. I have a Y580 on the way (the 59345717). I am very interested in getting a dual band Wifi card working with this version for both myself and others. I would be happy to allow svl7 access to it through Team Viewer if it would be helpful. For those of you who have attempted using a modified BIOS, would you mind posting the Y580 version you have as well as the firmware version it shipped with and whether or not your attempts were successful?

Hey svl7 thank you so much for all your effort so far! :)

I bought myself a Y580 last week with no OS pre-installed, the BIOS version it was shipped with is 2.0.7.

I know someone already asked for a modified version of 2.0.7 a week ago, I just wanted to check if you found the time of doing a modified version or if you are still planning on doing so?

Thanks in advance! :)

Edit:

I flashed the "Lenovo_Y480_Y580_-_BIOS_V.206_[unlocked][no whitelist]" BIOS and my Intel Ultimate-N 6300 was working just fine.

Yet I sadly had big problems with the NVIDIA GPU:

- The NVIDIA driver and 3D programs kept crashing constantly

- Artifacts in 3D scenes

After flashing the modified BIOS I just loaded the setup defaults and didn't change anything.

Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

After reverting back to the stock Lenovo 2.0.7 (5DCN40WW) BIOS everything was working just fine again.

Same thing for me. My Y580 came with windows 7 and 2.0.6. I am using the unlocked one from here, but am getting really bad tearing and artifacting 3D games (Battlefield 3). I'm hoping for a 2.0.7 unlocked version or I will have to use the crappy WiFi that came with the laptop.

I created an account here because this thread was of particular interest to me. It is clear that there are different firmware versions being released with the Y580 that are related to differences in hardware and that a modified 8.0x firmware version will be necessary for some users in order to remove whitelist enforcement. I have fount at least six different versions of this product on Newegg, there may be others.

Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Y580 (20994CU) Notebook Intel Core i7 3610QM(2.30GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory DDR3 1600 750GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Y580 (20994EU) Notebook Intel Core i7 3610QM(2.30GHz) 15.6" 8GB Memory DDR3 1600 750GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Y580 (59345715) Notebook Intel Core i7 3630QM(2.40GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory 750GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Y580 (59345717) Notebook Intel Core i7 3630QM(2.40GHz) 15.6" 8GB Memory 1TB HDD Blu-ray Combo NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Y580 (59353260) Notebook Intel Core i7 3630QM(2.40GHz) 15.6" 8GB Memory 750GB HDD + 16GB SSD HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Y580 (209942U) Notebook Intel Core i7 3610QM(2.30GHz) 15.6" 8GB Memory DDR3 1600 1TB HDD 5400rpm Blu-ray RAMBO (Re-writeable) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

One major difference not immediately evident in these is the type of panel that is being used. Some of them have a 720P panel while some utilize a 1080P panel. A resolution of 1366 x 768 is also listed for some, although I think it may just be the same 720P panel. Perhaps this has something to do with the different firmware versions in the thread, although perhaps not. I have a Y580 on the way (the 59345717). I am very interested in getting a dual band Wifi card working with this version for both myself and others. I would be happy to allow svl7 access to it through Team Viewer if it would be helpful. For those of you who have attempted using a modified BIOS, would you mind posting the Y580 version you have as well as the firmware version it shipped with and whether or not your attempts were successful?

Mojo, you have the same Y580 (59345717</SPAN>), as I do, that is the one with a 1TB & blu ray player. svl7 has remoted into my laptop and attempted to get the modified BIOS to flash/work. Unfortunately, the O/S kept crashing. Currently, I'm not certain where the progress stands...

I have the Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Y580 (20994CU) Notebook Intel Core i7 3610QM(2.30GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory DDR3 1600 750GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

I upgraded to Windows 8 and used the modified 39 bios and the official 40 bios from Lenovo's driver website and they both allowed me to use my Killer NIC 1102/Atheros.

I didn't forget about this stuff, just too busy atm. I'll get back to modding when I have more time.

Thank you svl7 for responding. we know we have no right to demand anything from you, but yet you're taking the time and effort to unlock the shitty BIOS that we currently have on our Y580. So take your time and we hope to to see the a proper unlocked 2.07 BIOS real soon.

Cheers.

I didn't forget about this stuff, just too busy atm. I'll get back to modding when I have more time.

Thanks for your quick reply!

When you find the time would you be able to create a modded BIOS with only the device whitelist removed and no other modifications in addition to the other two currently available on page 1? That would be great!

And I hope I'm not asking too much, but would you be willing to write a short step-by-step guide on how to remove the device whitelist from this particular BIOS including the tools you used?

I'd really appreciate it as I'd like to know how to remove the whitelist so I can do it myself for future new BIOS releases :)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers Agorath

Tried flashing from windows 7 and got this:

IHISI: Flash write error in SMI!

SMI Return Code: 0x25

Here's another problem if flashing from Windows causes an error. The laptop will not shut down and will have to be unplugged and have its battery removed.

Thank you svl7 for responding. we know we have no right to demand anything from you, but yet you're taking the time and effort to unlock the shitty BIOS that we currently have on our Y580. So take your time and we hope to to see the a proper unlocked 2.07 BIOS real soon.

Cheers.

svl7 is definitely a champ. Those who have benefited from his work thus far should definitely buy him a beer!

Laptop should arrive today, the 6205 won't arrive until Friday though. Should give me enough time to get Windows 7 set up on the mSATA drive though.

svl7, thanks for all the work you're doing! I was wondering if you needed another bios dump... I have a working Win7 x64 setup that runs games just fine on the Y580 that came with a 1080P display and windows 8. It has bios 8.01, but unfortunately I guess the whitelist problem still remains. Do you need a dump of the bios?

I have:

BIOS 5DCN90WW (v8.01)

EC 5DEC90WW (v8.01)

hi y580 owners!

I have y580 with BIOS version 5DCN37WW(V2.04).

Currently i installed 8 GB (2 moulde x 4 GB size) RAM and this laptop has 2 slot in it.

Can i add more ram for example i want 16GB with 8GB RAM Modules?

Which bios version i need for this situation?

I've heard of folks with a Y570 doing the same and it working out, but I believe most listings for the 580 say 8GB is the max. This seems to be the case for plenty of other laptops as well, though, and I've heard of several folks getting by fine with the 2x8GB setup.

Just be sure to get your memory from somewhere that has a nice return policy, in case your 580 doesn't take kindly to your new sticks.

So, I've been reading through the past three months or so of posts on this thread - I too own a y580 with the 3630QM + Win8 64bit and was hoping to get an unlocked BIOS to facilitate using my 32GB mSATA SSD as a cache.

Seems that svl7 has been experimenting with some BIOS's for this, but nothing substantial? Is there anything that I can do to help assist? I'd prefer to not use my new laptop as a guinea pig on some of the riskier things, but adding an SSD cache for my 5400RPM HDD is also a pretty big priority too, so I'll do what I can if I can help.

svl7, pretty cool of you to hack around on this stuff in your spare time - you certainly deserve more beer!

According to this thread on the Lenovo forum, it should work:

Re: Y580 16GB RAM Support - Lenovo Community

I don't know if it matters for the BIOS version. When I look at the date the messages have been posted (July - August 2012), these people had "old" BIOS versions since the latest versions were not released yet. In the worst case if it doesn't work, you can always upgrade to the 2.06 (with no whitelist and/or unlocked from svl7) that is on the first post of this thread, or you can even upgrade to the 2.07 (not unlocked and with whitelist) that is on the official Lenovo support web site. If you play games on your laptop, the 2.07 version seems to fix problem with 3D games by the way!

Edit: this thread confirms it too:

FOR ANYONE WHO IS CONSIDERING TO UPGRADE Y580 TO 1... - Lenovo Community

So after about 2 hours on the phone today with Lenovo support, I have little to anything else to offer. I ended up speaking to 4 separate people:

-First person was reached at 1-877-453-6686, which is listed on their website. I described my issue with not having the proper BIOS option, and he told me the "Software and Applications" department would be better suited to help me. Handed me this number: 1-877-737-1082. Also told me they're available 8AM to Midnight, EST.

-Second person I reach at this number, after I give them my name and phone number AGAIN, I tell them my situation AGAIN, they tell me there is another department that can handle BIOS-related issues. They put me on hold, and I hear the EXACT same prompt voice from the first number. I've been transferred to the same number.

-Third person, I give them my name and phone number for a third time, explain my situation to them for a third time (just as thorough and patient as the first two times, mind you), and they proceed to put me on hold twice, for about 5 minutes each time, to research my issue with no BIOS. When they return the first time, they tell me the problem is that the laptop doesn't have an IDE controller, it has a SATA controller. So I correct myself, and say that the same controller that handles the main 1TB drive, also handles the installed mSATA drive. They go research for another 5 minutes. They come back and say that according to my model, there is no mSATA, but there is PCI-E Mini instead, and that it can handle up to 64GB SSD drive.

At this point I'm quite livid (though still entirely civil and courteous to the third person) and I also did not understand how mSATA and PCIE-M are so similar (I research and learn this afterwards) - but a lot of back and forth. I insist that I am able to see the mSATA SSD drive in my current BIOS, Windows 8 boots fine, in Windows 8 the Intel RST software is able to SEE the drive and properly recognize its size and model, so therefore it is working from a hardware standpoint. The tech keeps telling me my laptop has PCIE-M, not mSATA. I ask to speak to a supervisor.

-After a good 5 minute wait, I speak to my fourth person, the third's supervisor. I explain my situation to the fourth. He tells me the same response that the third has. He also tells me that he only sees forum posts on people doing this caching scheme on Windows 7 machines, so it's not available for Windows 8. I tell him it's not an OS-level issue, it's a BIOS issue, and I'd like to know why Lenovo has decided to block these options from the BIOS. He never refutes that it's blocked, but instead explains that the issue is mSATA vs PCIE-M. The rest of the phone call is just him saying he's researching the issue on forums, and puts me on hold.

I have a friend who is in tech support, the escalated levels, and I know at this point precisely what he is doing - just stringing me along yet acting as courteous as possible (calls are recorded). He ends by saying he will email the team that handles BIOS updates, and I ask to have my email added to this communication. He only agrees to email me immediately following the call, and once he receives a response.

I have yet to hear from this tech (have checked my spam).

So, for what it's worth, that's what I've gotten out of it. In case you're interested in calling (and enjoy exercises in futility) - I've listed the numbers above for your edification.

@slv7, as I said previously, I would be very much up to helping you figure this out for our particular IdeaPad models (with the 8.0x BIOS). Thank you again.

Hi,

I'm looking for a BIOS that would make it possible to enable Intel RST caching on Y580.

Does such a BIOS even exist? did any of you made such setup work?

This is a question that seeks a conclusive answer.

All I've seen thus far has been enabling overclocking the GPU.

Hi,

I'm looking for a BIOS that would make it possible to enable Intel RST caching on Y580.

Does such a BIOS even exist? did any of you made such setup work?

This is a question that seeks a conclusive answer.

All I've seen thus far has been enabling overclocking the GPU.

It depends on which you have. If your y580's BIOS is version 8.0+, then I believe the answer right now is no. Otherwise, the BIOS that slv7 has put together does indeed enable the RAID option for the SATA controller - which will allow you to reinstall Windows and enable SSD caching.