Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

Guys I am having problem with my intel 6300agn. I have flashed the bios, reinstalled the drivers, still it is not working. The Os does recognize the 6300, and I can find it in the device list.

However, it cannot connect anything. It can catch wifi signals, but even when i put it near the router, it doesn't work. I have tried the card on another notebook and it works fine so it shouldn't be the card that causes troubles.

I noticed that there was a bios posted on page 5 named 6300 no white list. I was about to try but the link was expired. Does anyone happen to have one of that bios? Or knows what is going wrong?

Did you get the drivers from the Intel web site? I assume you are working on Windows. Maybe try to uninstall completely the drivers of the old card first and then install the drivers for the new one. Just in case Windows messes up with the drivers. It might be that it tries to use the drivers for the old card.

Also, did you try on something else than Windows? Ubuntu or another Linux distribution? You should be able to run Ubuntu via the Live CD you can download on their website without installing anything on your hard drive. It would allow you to check if Windows is guilty in this story or if the compatibility of the system and the card is the one to blame.

Did you get the drivers from the Intel web site? I assume you are working on Windows. Maybe try to uninstall completely the drivers of the old card first and then install the drivers for the new one. Just in case Windows messes up with the drivers. It might be that it tries to use the drivers for the old card.

Also, did you try on something else than Windows? Ubuntu or another Linux distribution? You should be able to run Ubuntu via the Live CD you can download on their website without installing anything on your hard drive. It would allow you to check if Windows is guilty in this story or if the compatibility of the system and the card is the one to blame.

I did get the drivers from the intel website and did a complete uninstall before. I have tried the card on another notebook running windows 7 and it worked fine, so it shouldn't be the windows.

I guess it is the problem of bios and DEV id. Only if I can have the bios posted on the page 5...

I did get the drivers from the intel website and did a complete uninstall before. I have tried the card on another notebook running windows 7 and it worked fine, so it shouldn't be the windows.

I guess it is the problem of bios and DEV id. Only if I can have the bios posted on the page 5...

Here it is >>> here

use at your own risk as I didn't test it, credit to the first up-loader and creator > berghaus.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yesterday I got my new Y580. I installed BIOS V.206_[unlocked][no whitelist] from first post. I I found some strange issue. When I have bios 2.07 windows 7 64bit show me 4 cores 8 threads, after installing bios 2.06 windows show 1 core 2 threads. Any idea what going wrong? Right now I'm going to update to 2.07, and hopefully get back my 4 cores. Notice later.

Here what i have done:

1. I have upgraded BIOS to 2.07* - no effect still only one core two threads

2. Remove new WiFi card, and replaced it with original - no effect still only one core two threads

3. Downgrade BIOS to V.206_[unlocked][no whitelist] - no effect still only one core two threads

4. Installed new WiFi card - no effect still only one core two threads

5. Restored Windows using Norton Ghost - Ghost image was made right after windows installation - no effect still only one core two threads

6. Installed completely clear, new version of windows - GET BACK ALL 4 CORES AND 8 THREADS

So if you experienced something like I did, do not play with BIOS version but simply start with Windows reinstallation.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QMI

New Card is: Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200

* If I installed new WiFi card, BIOS refuse to load Windows - just like I expected,

BIOS version was 2.07 without any modifications - original LENOVO.

I turned on Y580 once again, but then immediately pushed F2 and enter to BIOS, changed nothing, and SAVE AND EXIT... I was very surprised but BIOS passed my new WiFi card. Don't checked yet if this card will work under windows but it might. Can YOU do the same???

Yesterday I got my new Y580. I installed BIOS V.206_[unlocked][no whitelist] from first post. I I found some strange issue. When I have bios 2.07 windows 7 64bit show me 4 cores 8 threads, after installing bios 2.06 windows show 1 core 2 threads. Any idea what going wrong? Right now I'm going to update to 2.07, and hopefully get back my 4 cores. Notice later.

Here what i have done:

1. I have upgraded BIOS to 2.07* - no effect still only one core two threads

2. Remove new WiFi card, and replaced it with original - no effect still only one core two threads

3. Downgrade BIOS to V.206_[unlocked][no whitelist] - no effect still only one core two threads

4. Installed new WiFi card - no effect still only one core two threads

5. Restored Windows using Norton Ghost - Ghost image was made right after windows installation - no effect still only one core two threads

6. Installed completely clear, new version of windows - GET BACK ALL 4 CORES AND 8 THREADS

So if you experienced something like I did, do not play with BIOS version but simply start with Windows reinstallation.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QMI

New Card is: Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200

* If I installed new WiFi card, BIOS refuse to load Windows - just like I expected,

I turned on Y580 once again, but then immediately pushed F2 and enter to BIOS, changed nothing, and SAVE AND EXIT... I was very surprised but BIOS passed my new WiFi card. Don't checked yet if this card will work under windows but it might. Can YOU do the same???

You bought a new Y580 yesterday and the BIOS version was 2.06? Where did you buy yours, and what is your laptop's model number? I bought mine in December '12 from New Egg. Those of you who have the Y580 with BIOS 5DCN90WW v8.01, is your model number 59345717?</SPAN>

@En-TACT, I also have the same BIOS version (5DCN90WW), but my model number is different: 59359513. When I was shopping around on Amazon, New Egg, etc. last week, I noticed that there are a lot of model numbers out there, all with little variations in the equipment of the laptop (SSD or no, Blu-ray or no, HDD size, this kind of difference). I got mine on the Lenovo web site and I was not able to find the same model number anywhere else.

@darius456 I will try your trick tonight and will see if I can reproduce it with my BIOS version. That would be cool! =)

Will try with an Intel 6300.

Here, this should give you 1GHz default 3d clock, no more stupid boosting and a higher overclocking limit.

Please let me know how it works, some screenshots would be nice.

Hey svl7, I might have forgotten what I need to in order for me to be able to download attachments and in which case sorry. If there isn't something I, myself can do then can I have a download ;d please sorry and thank you in advance

Reading the rules certainly helps. :) You need to have five quality posts in order to be able to download attachments.

"Quality Post" = "Mission Impossible". Modding BIOS is never something I can write some "quality" posts, that's why I am asking for help, lol.... if that's some other programming forum I can reach that requirement in just an hour lol

I'm now running on Windows 7 Ultimate, mainly because Windows 8 was making me rather angry. Retried the steps prior, and got the exact same results.

Just a status update.

Also, researching into the SPI flash device error brought me to this: http://driveragent.com/c/archive/aa650e5c/image/50-0-132/Intel-Intel-iAMT-Driver-version-7.0.0.1144

Down at page 132, it is mentioned. But not in greater detail, unfortunately.

Tried it tonight with the BIOS 5DCN90WW and an Intel 6300, but I got the message that the wireless card was not allowed!

You bought a new Y580 yesterday and the BIOS version was 2.06? Where did you buy yours, and what is your laptop's model number? I bought mine in December '12 from New Egg. Those of you who have the Y580 with BIOS 5DCN90WW v8.01, is your model number 59345717?

My Y580 was shipped with preinstalled BIOS v2.07, I downgrade it to 2.06 from 1st post.

I dont know what is NEW EGG, im from Poland and I've bought it im my local store.

Model name: 20132

MO Number: CB021120AE

CPU: I7-3630QM

RAM: 4GB but added second 4GB

HDD: 1TB but added 128GB msata SSD

ODD: DVDRW

Display: 15,6'' FullHD LED

Tried it tonight with the BIOS 5DCN90WW and an Intel 6300, but I got the message that the wireless card was not allowed!

I will try do this on my laptop once again and make a movie but i worry to lose my core again. :D

"Quality Post" = "Mission Impossible". Modding BIOS is never something I can write some "quality" posts, that's why I am asking for help, lol.... if that's some other programming forum I can reach that requirement in just an hour lol

Lol, it's not about bios modding, "quality" just means some posts with a bit of content, not a post that just states "nice work". Well, you have enough posts now anyway.

Figured out what I did wrong.

Look at this image:

5793d1358509235t-1.jpg

To reduce number of cores which windows will use at next boot you have to:

1. Turn on msconfig

2. Go to second tab (I have Windows 7 PL so its called ROZRUCH - start)

3. Select Advanced Options

4/5. Select number of cores you want to use at next boot.

This is how I lost my cores, and unnecessary reinstalled my windows.

post-9054-14494994177296_thumb.jpg

Hello Darius,

Did you make your y580 working with modify bios?

I am trying to combine 2 SSD in RAID 0 , but yet, could not find Bios what would allow me to do it.

I got almost the same specs like you. If you get lucky, would you let me know?

Cheers.

Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.121119-1606)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: LENOVO

System Model: 2099

BIOS: 5DCN89WW(V8.00)

Processor: Intel® Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3962MB RAM

Figured out what I did wrong.

Look at this image:

5793d1358509235t-1.jpg

To reduce number of cores which windows will use at next boot you have to:

1. Turn on msconfig

2. Go to second tab (I have Windows 7 PL so its called ROZRUCH - start)

3. Select Advanced Options

4/5. Select number of cores you want to use at next boot.

This is how I lost my cores, and unnecessary reinstalled my windows.

Strange; if you are saying that you did it successfully then I want to know more of what specifically you did. I tried this when I first received my Y580, and tried to set it to 8, but when I restarted, windows failed to start and had to reinstall. Same thing happens when I try a number lower than 4. I had to reinstall five times trying different numbers before I gave up lol.

Hey svl7 thank you so much for all your effort so far! :)

I bought myself a Y580 last week with no OS pre-installed, the BIOS version it was shipped with is 2.0.7.

I know someone already asked for a modified version of 2.0.7 a week ago, I just wanted to check if you found the time of doing a modified version or if you are still planning on doing so?

Thanks in advance! :)

Edit:

I flashed the "Lenovo_Y480_Y580_-_BIOS_V.206_[unlocked][no whitelist]" BIOS and my Intel Ultimate-N 6300 was working just fine.

Yet I sadly had big problems with the NVIDIA GPU:

- The NVIDIA driver and 3D programs kept crashing constantly

- Artifacts in 3D scenes

After flashing the modified BIOS I just loaded the setup defaults and didn't change anything.

Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

After reverting back to the stock Lenovo 2.0.7 (5DCN40WW) BIOS everything was working just fine again.