Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

svl7 I was able to dump my BIOS (InsydeH2O v3.7, 5DCN90WW v8.01). Would you be able to have a look at it for those who have the Y580, WIN8 64 and want to install a Centrino 6205. Thank you!

How did you dump that BIOS? This includes only the BIOS... it's not a complete firmware image. It could theoretically cause problems if I just put it in an older image in order to allow it to flash, e.g. if this BIOS doesn't play well with your EC version (which might be different).

Another option would be to flash it in a different way... you can grab this tool and dump the bios again, so that I know what exactly I'm working with (use the attached .bat, it might come up with an error while running the second command, doesn't matter.

I am in the same boat as well. I am running a 3630QM processor, WIN 8 64. As everyone else has stated, the Centrino sucks. I already have a Killer Networks 1103, I finished adding a 3rd antenna to my Y580 last evening. I booted up and received the infamous "unauthorized" message. Back to the 2200 now. From what I have seen the unlocked whitelist BIOS is not compatible with the 3630QM? I don't want to modify any of my laptops advanced settings. I just want a better card!

I'm not sure about the compatibility, it's possible that you require a newer version in order to run win8 properly. Anyway, keep in mind that you won't be able to use secure boot if you use a modified bios.

Could someone halp me remove the wifi whitelist check please? I tried myself but don't have no idea where to find the whitelist check on hex editor..With any other wireless card installed the laptop just won't boot and says "please remove unauthorized wireless card.." something like that....

Here's the BIOS: PhoenixTechnologiesLtd.-5FCN91WW.rom

That's not a Y580/480 BIOS... is it from a Z580? Please create a new thread with some more details about your machine and if possible an official BIOS download link.

I found a utility called BIOS Backup Toolkit 2.0. However, I was unable to download your file, received an error probably due to my account status: En-TACT, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

How did you dump that BIOS? This includes only the BIOS... it's not a complete firmware image. It could theoretically cause problems if I just put it in an older image in order to allow it to flash, e.g. if this BIOS doesn't play well with your EC version (which might be different).

Another option would be to flash it in a different way... you can grab this tool and dump the bios again, so that I know what exactly I'm working with (use the attached .bat, it might come up with an error while running the second command, doesn't matter.

Yup 5DCN90WW v8.01 is what I also have on my Y580. Would really appreciate a whitelist version. I cant seem to download that tool, otherwise I would dump mine to help you.

It is a Z580 BIOS I dump from the laptop since Lenovo has not yet published any new BIOS update there's no official download links, only the one I uploaded. It currently uses aIntel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 wireless card, and I want to replace it with a dual band instead but can't figure out how to hack the white list check...

I found a utility called BIOS Backup Toolkit 2.0. However, I was unable to download your file, received an error probably due to my account status

Yup 5DCN90WW v8.01 is what I also have on my Y580. Would really appreciate a whitelist version. I cant seem to download that tool, otherwise I would dump mine to help you.
It is a Z580 BIOS I dump from the laptop since Lenovo has not yet published any new BIOS update there's no official download links, only the one I uploaded. It currently uses aIntel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 wireless card, and I want to replace it with a dual band instead but can't figure out how to hack the white list check...

I sent you guys a message, I can work with the current dumps, but I want to be on the safe side regarding one detail. Let me know if you have the dumps.

I'm in the same boat as En-TACT. I have the same bios version as him, the only difference is I installed windows 7 64 bit on mine (not that it should really make a difference I dont think?). But if you remove the whitelist on that version I'm absolutely interested in that as well. :-) I'll definitely have to get you a beer or something...though I hate donating through paypal, that maybe my only option lol

I flashed the unlocked BIOS on my Y480 and came up upon the Panel Color Depth option (Advanced>Video Configuration>Internal Graphic Device). It's set at 18 bit but has a 24 bit option. Has anyone tried modifying this? Because 24 bit color is much better than 18 in terms of clarity

I sent you guys a message, I can work with the current dumps, but I want to be on the safe side regarding one detail. Let me know if you have the dumps.

I enabled the local admin account, logged into it and used an administrative command prompt to run the first of the two command in the bat file. I then got the error:

PMXUtil: Error during PMX Call: idrvdll.dll!DRVinit(): Failed VerAddVersion(): call

"Error 284: Fail to load driver (PCI for Windows). Tools needs to run with an administrator privilege account."

My guess is something Windows 8 related and this flash tool?

Hmm, I don't know, I would expect it to work with Win8 as well. The error message indicates insufficient user rights, try to execute it by right-click and then 'run as administrator'. Another possibility is that your antivirus has issues with the PCI driver, disabling it temporarily might fix it.

Lenovo just put an updated BIOS on their site, 5dcn40ww... interestingly that's older than the version mentioned above... weird. Release notes say it fixes system crashes while playing 3d games.

Grab it here: http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/5dcn40ww.exe

That BIOS is dated 15 Oct and won't even show up when you select Windows 8.

Hmm, I don't know, I would expect it to work with Win8 as well. The error message indicates insufficient user rights, try to execute it by right-click and then 'run as administrator'. Another possibility is that your antivirus has issues with the PCI driver, disabling it temporarily might fix it.
ok, I was able to download that utility. Win8 will not allow you to run this app due to admin and security issues. Right click "fptw64" > General tab > click on "unblock"; then to Compatibility tab > check mark "Run as Administrator". File will execute. However, prompts you to enter any key to continue / then unable to run commands.. received an error:

"Error 200: Invalid parameter value specified by user. Use -? option to see help."

Application then immediately closes from error. Where do we go from here?

Lenovo just put an updated BIOS on their site, 5dcn40ww... interestingly that's older than the version mentioned above... weird. Release notes say it fixes system crashes while playing 3d games.

Grab it here: http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/5dcn40ww.exe

The 5DCN40WW is for the Lenovo Y580 at the time they shipped out the Windows 7 64...

I'm in the same boat as En-TACT. I have the same bios version as him, the only difference is I installed windows 7 64 bit on mine (not that it should really make a difference I dont think?). But if you remove the whitelist on that version I'm absolutely interested in that as well. :-) I'll definitely have to get you a beer or something...though I hate donating through paypal, that maybe my only option lol
HixVAC, since you are running Windows 7 on a Y580 with our BIOS version, were you able to extract it for svl7??

Dont know why I did not think of this before. I changed the properties on the fptw64.exe to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode. Now I get the following error:

[FONT=arial]C:\Users\NameDesktop\BIOS>[/FONT]<wbr style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">[FONT=arial]fptw64.exe -d backupY580.bin -bios[/FONT][FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version: 8.0.10.1464[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Copyright (c) 2007 - 2012, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Platform: Intel(R) HM76 Express Chipset[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial] --- Flash Devices Found ---[/FONT]
[FONT=arial] EN25Q32B ID:0x1C3016 Size: 4096KB (32768Kb)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial] W25Q16BV ID:0xEF4015 Size: 2048KB (16384Kb)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Error 104: The 2 SPI flash devices do not have compatible command sets.
[/FONT]

Looks like its actually communicating with it so we may be getting closer. Let me know if you know how to solve this one.

Maybe we need an updated Intel Flash Developer tool kit?

Dont know why I did not think of this before. I changed the properties on the fptw64.exe to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode. Now I get the following error:

[FONT=arial]C:\Users\NameDesktop\BIOS>[/FONT]<wbr style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">[FONT=arial]fptw64.exe -d backupY580.bin -bios[/FONT][FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version: 8.0.10.1464[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Copyright (c) 2007 - 2012, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Platform: Intel(R) HM76 Express Chipset[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial] --- Flash Devices Found ---[/FONT]
[FONT=arial] EN25Q32B ID:0x1C3016 Size: 4096KB (32768Kb)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial] W25Q16BV ID:0xEF4015 Size: 2048KB (16384Kb)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Error 104: The 2 SPI flash devices do not have compatible command sets.
[/FONT]

Looks like its actually communicating with it so we may be getting closer. Let me know if you know how to solve this one.

Ok, yeah... not the best news after all, seems your chips aren't supported, even though they're listed. There seem to be issues with the commands. I'll create a mod with the other dump, will work as well, but this would have been neat, especially for flashing.

Ok, yeah... not the best news after all, seems your chips aren't supported, even though they're listed. There seem to be issues with the commands. I'll create a mod with the other dump, will work as well, but this would have been neat, especially for flashing.

Based on your experience is this something that eventually gets updated and working, by lets a newer flash tool? Or should I just wait for a BIOS update?

Sorry for the delay, I've been creating DMACs for the past couple of days...it's been driving me nuts.

I guess you managed to dump your bios En-TACT. I have my copy here too: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7DwE5m7sDfOVXJDbzF2TFV2RXc though it's likely too late to matter, I figured I'd post it anyway.

Seems I'm always a step behind when jumping on this forum lol Let me know if there's anything more I can do to help.

Here's a mod based on the 5DCN90WW v8.01 dump which you guys provided - WWAN / WLAN check removed, unlocked.

Flash with the included InsydeFlash utility. If it doesn't allow to flash, let me know.

Use at your own risk.

- removed -

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's a mod based on the 5DCN90WW v8.01 dump which you guys provided - WWAN / WLAN check removed, unlocked.

Flash with the included InsydeFlash utility. If it doesn't allow to flash, let me know.

Use at your own risk.

Hmm... I may try it out later tonight after I read up on InsydeFlash. Need to make sure I know what I'm doing and I don't.

Edit: Drat, don't have download access yet. :(