Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

I went ahead and took some initiative to overclock the bios my self, I can provide the community with an undervolted version but for some reason my clocks in the Vbios have no effect in my testing, maybe I am misunderstanding how kepler card clock domains work?

Anyway sVL7 could you modify this rom file and I'll do the rest to package it up neatly. I don't have alot of experience with kepler or fermi overclocking/unlocking, I tried using KGB but it couldn't find the vbios end? This is for the Lenovo y580 , already running your custom unlocked/nowhitelist bios.

http://asmithdev.com/files/backup.ROM

Here, this should give you 1GHz default 3d clock, no more stupid boosting and a higher overclocking limit.

Please let me know how it works, some screenshots would be nice.

-- removed --

• Thumbs Up 1

Here, this should give you 1GHz default 3d clock, no more stupid boosting and a higher overclocking limit.

Please let me know how it works, some screenshots would be nice.

Thank you, would you mind sending me a PM and explaining the steps you took to get this result, I tried a couple things and I couldn't figure it out haha here are some screen shots and 3dmark11 performance scores (demo version), I want to tweak the OC settings more for ram and gpu so that is why I am interested.

http://i.imgur.com/4O17G.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/o2Kk2.jpg

Went ahead and did some overclocking benchmarks/test with different clock speeds of ram and GPU for the GTX660m in the Lenovo Y580

My System, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, core i7-3610qm, 16gb ddr3 1600mhz ram

We are only going to be using the GPU score from 3dmark11 as we don't care about cpu in this case.

1ghz GPU + 2500mhz (stock ram speed) - GPU Score: 2489, Max Temp: 71C

1ghz GPU + 2600mhz ram - GPU Score: 2503, Max Temp: 71C

1.1ghz GPU + 2600mhz ram - GPU Score: 2711 , Max Temp: 71C

1.150ghz GPU + 2575mhz ram - GPU Score: 2820, Max Temp: 72C

1.2ghz GPU + 2600mhz ram - GPU Score: 2930, Max Temp 73C

Max stable ram speed for my GPU is 2675mhz, I didn't push GPU beyond 1.2ghz because I was concerned about overheating issues beyond that.

A couple things to note about these results, each 50mhz bump in GPU speed over 1.1ghz seems to result in a 1 degree C increase in GPU temp during 3dmark benchmark and roughly a score increase of 100 or ~4% increase in performance. Ram on the other hand doesn't seem to have much of an effect on performance roughly ~1% for each 100mhz bump.

For the best and safest performance I recommend 1.150ghz GPU + 2575mhz ram as a safe overclock with good performance and no overheating issues. svl7 would you be able to put together a vbios version with these settings for me? I'll buy you a beer :D

Remember not all GPU's are created the same, some will overclock further, some will overclock less it just depends on the board you got and a bit of luck, I hope this helps you guys get the best performance from your y580 :D

Please... don't use furmark!! You want your GPU alive and not dead I guess.

I'll see what I can do. The 660m has a lot of overclocking potential, I guess 1150MHz should work fine for most. My max was about 1330MHz, but with a bit more voltage.

I'll see what I can do. The 660m has a lot of overclocking potential, I guess 1150MHz should work fine for most. My max was about 1330MHz, but with a bit more voltage.

Yeah I stopped using furmark after my gpu went up to 76 degrees and went into safe throttling mode, forcing me to reboot in order to fix it , thank you very much svl7!

You know, now that I think about it they would HAVE to be different. Y580s that shipped with Windows 7 would have to have a SLIC table for licensing and those that shipped with Windows 8 would have to have OA3.0 and all of the secure boot stuff it needs.

svl7, can we get a modded version of the current version Y580's BIOS? :)

Also in this boat too, would love to get my Intel 6205 wireless card working. If I can do anything to help please let me know.

On second thought you should do what you did with the dell one, 1ghz base, 1.2ghz turbo with 2600mhz as the ram clock, the only concern I had with 1.2ghz+ was temp increases but assuming stock voltage 1ghz base and 1.2ghz should work great.

I might be a noob here but I downloaded the non white list version of bios Lenovo Y480 / Y580 BIOS version 5DCN39WW (V2.06) [unlocked] and all I want to do is have the fan kick in earlier and harder on lower temperatures so I won't get down throttled but after setting low fan speeds to 40 degrees C and high fan speeds to 55 degrees C, I didn't see anything results. It was as if I didn't change any setting at all. When I was flashing the bios, the fan was the loudest and fastest I've ever seen it and while playing Starcraft 2, it doesn't even come close to the fan speed or noise I heard while flashing the bios. Am I doing something wrong?

Hey guys, I ran through this thread real quick and didn't catch anyone talking about locking the bios back up.

Long story short, my concern is because I bough the 3 year extended accidental warranty on my new Y580 (which I got yesterday) that if I unlock the bios that I will void my warranty.

Do they have any way of checking to see if the bios was tampered with or can I get a regular locked version of the bios back on the thing if I install an unlocked version on it?

Lastly, my bios version is 3.7. Stupidly I deleted all partitions when formatting and installing windows 7 (cause windows 8 is useless to me...none of my FPGA programs run on it...nicely anyway) so I can't even go back and get a copy of it :-(, but not sure if it would matter reverting to an unlocked 2.06? I'm looking into seeing if there's a way I can snatch a copy of it still somehow.

Thanks!

---

Okay, not sure if it helps anyone or anything but I grabbed a copy of my bios if it does. Let me know if anyone wants it. I'm going to proceed to looking into modifying this version myself

Can you reupload the "no white list" version becouse the download link shows an error "404 not found" . Thanks in advance

You are in luck, I happened to back a copy up to my pc. Flash at your own risk, I didn't make any modifications to what svl7 did but either way, you are responsible if you break your own hardware.

Droplr • Lenovo_Y480_Y580_-_BIOS_V.206_[unlocked][no whitelist].zip

Can you reupload the "no white list" version becouse the download link shows an error "404 not found" . Thanks in advance

Not sure what happened, I'm going to fix it.

Do they have any way of checking to see if the bios was tampered with or can I get a regular locked version of the bios back on the thing if I install an unlocked version on it?

You can simply flash a regular version and it's all back to default, no traces.

You can simply flash a regular version and it's all back to default, no traces.

Definitely good to know. I did some research on trying to modify the bios myself but only got as far as EzH2O and am not finding a simple way to do anything there. Do you have a different tool you use? I would like to help/contribute if so. At least get the abilities of the older versions you had up to date with the version I have if it helps at all.

LMK what I can do or again if it makes a difference at all.

Personally, all I'm looking to do is install a dual band wireless card like so many others, but I figure might as well contribute while I'm at it since all these posts have been so helpful (return the favor if you will lol).

wait for a new official bios release from Lenovo to get a Mod..

Is there any news on this? From what I have read so far, Lenovo does not seem to be able to provide a BIOS file for the Y580 3630QM. Apparently at least one user accidentally flashed his Y580 3630QM with a 3610QM BIOS and contacted Lenovo support via telephone and they were unable to help him as there is no 3630QM BIOS download.

I'd like to buy the 3630QM version but I am holding out until there is a hacked BIOS. Unfortunately other manufacturers like Sony also decided to lock down their (V)BIOS in their latest Windows 8 laptops, so I am a little wary of buying a Y580 3630 Win8 model right now.

Definitely good to know. I did some research on trying to modify the bios myself but only got as far as EzH2O and am not finding a simple way to do anything there. Do you have a different tool you use? I would like to help/contribute if so. At least get the abilities of the older versions you had up to date with the version I have if it helps at all.

LMK what I can do or again if it makes a difference at all.

Personally, all I'm looking to do is install a dual band wireless card like so many others, but I figure might as well contribute while I'm at it since all these posts have been so helpful (return the favor if you will lol).

I can provide you with each individual rom file inside the system bios but unless you are really handy with a hex editor I am not sure you will get very far, inside our system there is the intel graphic bios, multiple nvidia mobile card bios and a couple different wireless/raid bios files nothing really of use beyond what svl7 has already done for us.

Yea, I had realized that chances are if there's no software we can get our hands on we're kinda stuck with using a hex editor. I took a quick look at it and got a general idea of what's written where and how it's written but it doesn't look fun by any means....it would definitely take me a bit. Figured it was worth a shot to try. I'd feel like a pretty useless computer engineer if I did, hah.

So that brings me back to the questions

A) Is there a way lenovo can see what bios' were run on a laptop (a bios record, if you will)?

B) I take it no one possesses another editor for these silly InsydeH20 bios sets? Or a simpler way of editing/modifying them other than a hex editor?

Yea, I had realized that chances are if there's no software we can get our hands on we're kinda stuck with using a hex editor. I took a quick look at it and got a general idea of what's written where and how it's written but it doesn't look fun by any means....it would definitely take me a bit. Figured it was worth a shot to try. I'd feel like a pretty useless computer engineer if I did, hah.

So that brings me back to the questions

A) Is there a way lenovo can see what bios' were run on a laptop (a bios record, if you will)?

B) I take it no one possesses another editor for these silly InsydeH20 bios sets? Or a simpler way of editing/modifying them other than a hex editor?

I've got a tool that allows me to extract all the roms inside the main system bios and I can remove SLC, modify each module as I see fit with a hex editor or another tool before recompiling it but that would require a tool for each module, from what Ive read there is an intel vbios editor that is available only to intel partners we could use to modify the HD4000 bios in the y580 but its not really worth your time lol.

Hello! I bought a new Lenovo Y580 a week ago and came upon this thread concerning the BIOS whitelist. I have ordered an Intel Centrino 6205 wireless card (should be here in 2 days) to replace the weak single-band 2200. I will try install it first without a BIOS mod. However, if it comes down to using TechInfreno's file to unlock/remove whitelist.. I believe the the version he has v2.06 will probably not write my current one, InsydeH2O v3.7, 5DCN90WW (v8.01). Anyone with a Y580: Win8 64bit was able to install a 6205 with success?

I am in the same boat as well. I am running a 3630QM processor, WIN 8 64. As everyone else has stated, the Centrino sucks. I already have a Killer Networks 1103, I finished adding a 3rd antenna to my Y580 last evening. I booted up and received the infamous "unauthorized" message. Back to the 2200 now. From what I have seen the unlocked whitelist BIOS is not compatible with the 3630QM? I don't want to modify any of my laptops advanced settings. I just want a better card!

Thanks!

svl7 I was able to dump my BIOS (InsydeH2O v3.7, 5DCN90WW v8.01). Would you be able to have a look at it for those who have the Y580, WIN8 64 and want to install a Centrino 6205. Thank you!

I have this bios too. Would love to have some help with it. Seems my sata controller refuses to boot to msata. Seems the new y580 bios for windows 8 and the 3630QM has locked me out.

Could someone halp me remove the wifi whitelist check please? I tried myself but don't have no idea where to find the whitelist check on hex editor..With any other wireless card installed the laptop just won't boot and says "please remove unauthorized wireless card.." something like that....

Here's the BIOS: PhoenixTechnologiesLtd.-5FCN91WW.rom

Thanks in advance for response.