Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

svl7-I tried to download the mod bios without the WLAN whitelist to try and was not allowed too. I'm wondering if you are still testing it and will you make it available to the rest of us? By the way great work in unlocking the bios!

Nope, it's working fine, and it's attached to the first post, you should be able to download it. Public link coming soon.

would be great to see an unlocked no whitelist bios along with a GHz edition vbios just like the dell, and a little bit overvolt~

keep up the good work svl7!

Yeah it would :P Hahaha, I'll see what I can do.

hey svl7 i dont have any permissions on this forum. i cant pm and posts are delayed.. also i cant download at all.. any other method to test out this bios of yours?

Read the forum rules, you need 5 quality posts in order to download attachments. The unlocked bios is already available to everyone, public link in the first post. Whitelist bios will follow.

• Thumbs Up 1

is there any kind of special flashers that we need to use this, or is the flasher bundled in the zip file? (sorry, haven't downloaded nor tried yet due to the fact that i'm waiting for further updates)

and also another question, would you be able to disable the intel hd 4000 and just use the nvidia graphics after this custom bios? i'm having issues with windows 8 where i can't control the brightness since intel hd 4000 is the main controller, nvidia has working drivers so i think that'll fix my problem if it is possible.

Just download it and read the file in there... it's all described.

And yes, you should be able to use the Nvidia card as primary device, but I'm not sure whether this will solve your brightness isssue, due to Optimus your system will always use parts of the HD4000 cause it's needed to bring the picture to the screen.

Just download it and read the file in there... it's all described.

And yes, you should be able to use the Nvidia card as primary device, but I'm not sure whether this will solve your brightness isssue, due to Optimus your system will always use parts of the HD4000 cause it's needed to bring the picture to the screen.

ah rats, guess i'll have to wait until Intel fixes it for Windows 8

I'll update my bios once a GHz edition for the video card pops up. I'm greatly looking forward to that =D

Bought a 6205 card off of Amazon, do a search for product code B004NNZB4A, and swapped it in my Y580 with the unlocked/no-whitelist BIOS. Connected to the 5ghz on my WNDR3700. Works great and much better than the stock 2200N that was in here. Thanks again for your work svl7 on the BIOS and empirehell on your wifi card recommendation!

• Thumbs Up 1

I installed the Lenovo Y480 / Y580 BIOS version 5DCN39WW (V2.06) [unlocked]. excellent! But there is a problem. I can not change the fan speed depending on the temperature. In the BIOS change but really do not.

I agree. I have tried:

Low Speed/Temp 60%/70%/80% fan @ 40 C / 40 C / 45 C / 50 C

+

High Speed/Temp 100% fan @ 50 C / 55 C / 60 C / 60 C

There's a whole section for temperature and fan control on the new bios. Try peeking around more.

Do you say this because you found how to correctly control fan speeds and are being cryptic or have you not tried o.O

Not necessarily all available options will work, there's a reason why some of them are hidden. The bios vendor always uses the same framework, so there might be hidden settings available which don't work with your system.

can u tell us where we can find the platform file?

Extract the downloaded file, it's packed in there.

Not necessarily all available options will work, there's a reason why some of them are hidden.

Yeah .. like WOL wil never work..

the reason for that is that the motherboard in a shutdown state is not supplying power (even with AC on) to the network adapter so it can't be waken.

but options are in the bios.

I'm looking forward for a vbios.. thanks. svl7

Ok, then plug in your battery as well, then it should work.

For security reasons you need both, battery and AC in order to flash, or you need to modify the flash settings in order to circumvent these security measures.

Be advised !

If you try to completely disable your INTEL video card using the new settings/options made available in the new unlocked y580 bios you will disable as well :

the laptop LCD screen and the HDMI port

since the lcd screen inverter and the HDMI output are directly connected/tied thru the motherboard to the INTEL GPU on the processor ... no bios option will be able to disable it properly because its not designed for that at the circuitry level

On this machine design you can disable the NVIDIA GPU completely but not the other one (the Intel graphics or IGFX) ... when all enabled the intel one manages the Nvidia and the switching goes on thru the optimus scheme implemented at hardware/driver level between the intel GPU inside the CPU and the Nvidia GPU

http://www.nvidia.com/object/LO_optimus_whitepapers.html

That's correct, that's also why I advise all users not to change anything they're not familiar with (first post). There are more options which can cause the system to not boot after changing them.