Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

image.thumb.png.0c56e143310065d0bc62169e10e2b736.pngimage.thumb.png.0c56e143310065d0bc62169e10e2b736.png

8 hours ago, Klem said:

Well, also send me your screenshot in Nvidia Inspector utility.

image.thumb.png.0c56e143310065d0bc62169e10e2b736.pngI had tested this in gaming for an hour and if it passes here in Venezuela and even in Guatire that the ambient temperature is around 30 degrees Celsius and my 660M gets into the mid 70s, i.e. 75-78 C. it is ok, taking into account that there is a lot of headroon to cpu Tj=105 C, which is the cutoff temperature.  Anything else that you can provide to the mixt in order to inprove it is a bonus and is well received. Thank you for everything and we'll keep in touch... I image.thumb.png.0c56e143310065d0bc62169e10e2b736.pnghope this single screenshot be suffient if not please let me know.

Edited by Berpeca
material duplication, sorry. I'll eave it as it is.

• Bios Modder

On your screenshots I see that unlocked bios already flashed and installed correctly.

Just reinstall Nvidia drivers with enabled option "Clean Install".

On 1/31/2013 at 2:17 AM, tomsaw said:

Thanks I'll try it out!

Has anyone been able to succesfully flash bios v8.01 yet??

Well, I did flash it but not successfully. I think there is some regions or blocks in the chips that are write protected. my flashing procedure is the same as everybody else.  Klem, I am afraid that I got no unlocked bios, no advanced submenues, no white list removed ( An unauthorized wireless network adaptor is plugged in, please turn off and remove) and some mixt results when it comes to the gtx accelaration. Pls somebody help me.

I will love to cooperate with any of you 

• Bios Modder
2 hours ago, Berpeca said:

Well, I did flash it but not successfully. I think there is some regions or blocks in the chips that are write protected. my flashing procedure is the same as everybody else.  Klem, I am afraid that I got no unlocked bios, no advanced submenues, no white list removed ( An unauthorized wireless network adaptor is plugged in, please turn off and remove) and some mixt results when it comes to the gtx accelaration. Pls somebody help me.

I will love to cooperate with any of you 

Ok. Your bios mod done. Check PM.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello all, I'm glad that I found that topic after so many years. Unfortunately I bricked my Lenovo and I was looking for my old modified bios.
Sad that I'm no longer promoted to download any files...
Once I got promoted I'll test what @svl7 coocked for us.

Thank you for including what the readme says, the zip file above is no longer available. It helped me a lot with unbricking my pc!

On 4/25/2017 at 8:19 PM, PlannedObsolescence said:

In the zip file from the link that Makinachan just posted, there is a folder called "Crisis," and inside of that folder is a readme and a bin file called "QIWY3.bin". Here is what the readme says:

• 4 weeks later...

@Klem, i have similar problem like Berpeca. I tryied to flash v801 mod but nothing changed. Could you send the mod as well to me?
If you want, I can pay for this. After flash nothing changes. I don't have idea what is wrong... Still 950 MHZ on default clock. If you could, please reply to me on PM or here. Thank you in advance.

IMG_20191005_140537 (Duży).jpg

IMG_20191005_162827 (Średni).jpg

scr.PNG

Edited by escio

• Bios Modder
3 hours ago, escio said:

@Klem, i have similar problem like Berpeca. I tryied to flash v801 mod but nothing changed. Could you send the mod as well to me?
If you want, I can pay for this. After flash nothing changes. I don't have idea what is wrong... Still 950 MHZ on default clock. If you could, please reply to me on PM or here. Thank you in advance.

IMG_20191005_140537 (Duży).jpg

IMG_20191005_162827 (Średni).jpg

scr.PNG

Hi!

Please, describe your problem more exactly. Because i don't understand what the problem you have.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, appreciate all of the info in this thread. I'm stuck on one issue and would appreciate any help.

I am trying to recover a bricked y580. It has two BIOS chips: EN25Q32B (4MB) and EN25QH16 (2MB). I am using a CH341A serial programmer.

How do I properly pad or edit the .bin BIOS file and split it between the two chips?

Edit: Success! There is hope if you brick a y580 with the v8.01 BIOS! It does require disassembly of the laptop so you can access the BIOS chips with a CH341a serial programmer. I used the SOP8 SOIC8 test clip with it to avoid any soldering.

After trying dozens of BIOS files, the ones that worked were from a polish forum. It is an actual non-modded version of the QIWY4 BIOS. The file, la-8002p.zip, contains the .bins needed for the BIOS chip and the EC chip.

Edited by terq55
update

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, pingers said:

Thank you very much. How do you change the .rom file to .bin? Just change the file extension? By steps on page 1 in windows 10, I can't do anything :( Where to get the Flash.bat file?

Edited by Danieleczek

Danieleczek, the filename can be anything you like.  The way to flash it is by booting into dos and flashing it using command line tools.

1 - get a spare USB stick

2 - in windows download yumi https://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloads/YUMI/YUMI-2.0.6.9.exe

3 - run the exe, choose your usb stick (don't get it wrong), and opt to format it, and install balder (which is freedos).

4 - The flash drive will be labelled MULTIBOOT.

5 - download prr.exe and fpt.exe (attached to this message) and copy them to the root of your MULTIBOOT drive

get em here:

6 - copy the rom I posted to the same place, and rename it to v810mod.bin

7 - restart your machine and elect to boot off your usb stick in NON-UEFI mode (ie you need legacy mode) - you might need to change your bios settings to do this, or try pressing F12 as your machine comes back up and choose your USB stick.

8 - select  balder and press enter - you should see an A: prompt

9  - type c: (and press enter)

10 type dir

11 you should now see the files on your USB's MULTIBOOT drive

12 type prr (enter)

13 type fpt -f v810mod.bin -bios (enter)

14 you should see your bios roms chips being written to and verified

15 reboot and press F2 to see your new unlocked bios (NB ethernet is disabled by default, so you will need to reenable)

prr-fpt.zip

• 1 month later...

I have a question :D If i have file BIOS in .rom can i use  this command to flash bios  ? 

fpt.exe -f filename.rom -bios

I have v8.01 version BIOS

Jeżeli jest tu ktoś z Polski, prosiłbym o wyjaśnienie, jak w razie co przywrócić stary BIOS gdyby coś poszło nie tak.

Edited by szefu69

• 2 months later...

Hope this helps my problem. And then I bought a card, but I can’t insert it, it immediately blocks it. I tried to install the older BIOS, I copied it myself under my card, to flash it, so it knocks out an error. And this version is only on some sites, and then there are basically only dumps for the programmer, and since I do not have it yet, I have to torment and search.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi folks, would anyone happen to have a v2.07 1.20v bios? I know it's an old topic, but I'll take the chance :)

I was able to get my gpu to 1340mHz on 1.150v, 1.175 doesn't make a diff, I would like to try getting 1400mHz on clock. So far temperatures don't go over 66c.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all, 

I know that is a pretty old topic, but i just wanted to get some help on the bios instalation on my y580. i just got a wifi card 6300 and i get the erro not autherized. what i need help is to get the files to flash it.

Can someone give me please. thank you

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello friends! I bought a dual-band Intel 7260XMW card - 1200mbps. The next steps will be to flash the Bios, as described in the first post.
What are your observations about working dual-band cards on the y580, except 6205
?
My current bios is 5DCN40WW (V2.07)
Thanks!

Hi, I have a Y580 with the 8.01 modded bios.

I use a BCM4352 (Bcm94352hmb) wireless-ac card because it works in Windows, Linux and Hackintosh.

Main o/s is linux and it switches perfectly between low band and high band.

I used to use this with the 2.07 bios too, so I know it works with that version too.

This card has bluetooth 4.0 built in to it, but I could never get it to be recognised.  The bluetooth card inside the laptop is old and slow now, so I use a USB BT 4.2 dongle for BT.  Maybe there are other wifi cards that are dual-band where the BT is recognised by the Y580 - if so, let me know!

Good luck

• Thumbs Up 1