Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

Just wondering if anyone has the modified BIOS and upgraded to Windows 10. Any issues?

Should I upgrade to Windows 10 first and then upgrade the BIOS or should I upgrade the BIOS first?

Edited by biztechtchr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Rymek said:

I had the same thing 3-4 pages ago and didn't get answers :/

Check my posts maybe some of these ideas can help you.

Wysłane z mojego HTC 10 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Did u solve it?

Just now, Rymek said:

I didn't find solution for me, but maby one of solutions I tried can help you

Wysłane z mojego HTC 10 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Yeah i posted my problem some months ago too and i couldn't solve it, Nvm i will leave it as it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

today is 08-08-2016 and my y580 wifi failed me. need to upgrade and got intel wireless-N 7260, model 7260hmw bn. slot it in and it says unauthorized wireless card detected. search google and found this thread. to download, need to register, i registered. However to be able to download, u need to gain level by posting 5 post or wait 5 day.

Yeah it 2016 and we still live in b****hit world...

Sorry, there is a problem

If you are unable to download this file, it may be due to one or a combination of the following reasons:

• Your account lacks the proper credentials to access this download (e.g. T|I Elite or promoted permissions). 
  • Your account has not been validated or may have been disabled due to violations.
  • The download is restricted to certain permission groups which you are not a part of currently.

If you feel you should have access to this file and do not, then please message an administrator or moderator for resolution.

Edited by pijik2000

Hi, 
I would never thought that i could face such issue, but it happened. 

When i was flashing new bios, my pc froze because of driver. Simple BSOD. Hard turn-off didn't work and i had to unplug batter and AC. 
Now after i boot my computer i see only keyboard lit, fan is now spinning, screen is black.

Any advice?

Problem solved.

Looks like modern BIOSes has some kind of fail-safe mechanism. It slightly differs from pc to pc, and for Lenovo Y580 it will be like this:

The main idea of this fail-safe mechanism is to record BIOS rom file on flash drive with proper name so recovery system could read it and flash once again.

1.       Download official BIOS from Lenovo Support page

2.       Unpack it and take .ROM file (mine was QIWY3207.ROM)

3.       Download a special tool that will tell you what name should be used for this rom file (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/13194-Tool-to-Insert-Replace-SLIC-in-Phoenix-Insyde-Dell-EFI-BIOSes), every laptop has its own name.

4.       Tool told me that recovery name for QIWY3207.ROM will be QIWY3.bi? but that wasn’t working, so I made several files with names: QIWY3.bi, QIWY3.bid, QIWY3.bin, QIWY3.rom don’t know which one worked.

5.       Record files on flash (I’ve used 16gb formatted in FAT32)

6.       Now detach AC cable, all USB devices, SD card and battery.

7.       Plug in flash drive

8.       Press FN + B and keep it pressed

9.       Attach AC adapter

10.   Press power button

11.   Now FN + B can be released.

12.   Laptop will spin-up cooler and start reading flash drive.

13.   For me, it started beepeing horrible, I had to wait for several minutes and then turned it off manually.

14.   After this laptop booted without problem into windows, where I re-flashed bios in usual way.

after posting some quality post u need to wait around 5 days before u can download i think, now my lappy has no wifi and has to use cable connected to the router to post this.. haha its the way the forum work. cant argue with that as long a i can download the files later. cheers mate

Edited by pijik2000

• 3 weeks later...

If you are unable to download this file, it may be due to one or a combination of the following reasons:

• Your account lacks the proper credentials to access this download (e.g. T|I Elite or promoted permissions). 
  • Your account has not been validated or may have been disabled due to violations.
  • The download is restricted to certain permission groups which you are not a part of currently.

How can I download it?

• 2 weeks later...