Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

On 1/10/2016 at 8:08 AM, zVag` said:

Im trying to flash  Lenovo Y580 / Y480 BIOS v2.07 (5DCN40WW) -> unlocked, whitelist removed, Nvidia 660m @ 1GHz default 3d clocks but it gives me this message "The version of rom file isn't newer than the version of bios".   What should i do?

Also if i flash the modified bios will i still be able to upgrade my i5 3210m to an i7 3610qm ? Will i have any problems?

You should really try searching the thread to get your answer because this is something that has been answered many times. Modify platform.ini in notepad by changing RESSDIN to RESSEN. I think it's one of the first couple lines.

10 hours ago, blowntaha said:

You should really try searching the thread to get your answer because this is something that has been answered many times. Modify platform.ini in notepad by changing RESSDIN to RESSEN. I think it's one of the first couple lines.

It was already RESSEN typed, tried to change that into RESSDIN but again it showed the same message... :/ i cant search 60 pages, so if someone can help me i will appreciate it. Thanks!

• Bios Modder

Rom file error???  Or "The version of rom file isn't newer than the version of bios"???

Very different!  Post a screenshot of command prompt window with errors.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10.01.2016 at 4:08 PM, zVag` said:

Im trying to flash  Lenovo Y580 / Y480 BIOS v2.07 (5DCN40WW) -> unlocked, whitelist removed, Nvidia 660m @ 1GHz default 3d clocks but it gives me this message "The version of rom file isn't newer than the version of bios".   What should i do?

Also if i flash the modified bios will i still be able to upgrade my i5 3210m to an i7 3610qm ? Will i have any problems?

Hello

I have the same problem on my Y580 in Windos 7 Ultmate 64bit
When I try to update my BIOS 5DCN40WW v2.07 by using “[Y580][Y480]-'unlocked_BIOS'_660mGHzEdition_WhitelistMod.zip” package after running InsydeFlash.exe  I get communicate: “The version of rom file isn't newer than version of bios.”
I tried to modify platform.ini file:
I turned on Log File using: [Log_file] Flag=1
Checked that the RESSEN is used not RESSDIS
In [Bios_Version_Check]
Flag=2 changed to 1 and 0
CheckByBios=0 changed o 1
In [Others] I tried to change DisableCompare=0 to 1
In [BIOSVersionFormat] tried changed BIOSVFEnable=1 to 0
In log file I always get:

--- Log started: 2016/01/19 21:04:37
Initializing...
Log file       : C:\BIOS\InsydeFlash.Log
Settings file  : C:\BIOS\platform.ini (found)
Executable     : C:\BIOS\InsydeFlash.exe
    Version    : 5.1.3.0    Build      : InsydeFlash
    Date       : Tue Jan 19 17:31:16 2016

Resource file  : C:\BIOS\iscflash.dll (loaded)
App name       : InsydesFlash

Preparation stage

IHISI Version: 198
Use common flash return code
Orginal Error Code : 4(0x00000004)
    Error code : 4(0x00000004)
Cleanup Stage
    Stage Completed
--- Log Stopped: 2016/01/19 21:04:39

In ForceIHISIVersion= I tried to force other version of IHISI but didn’t get result.

The same communicates I have when I downloaded original version of  5DCN40WW v2.07 BIOS from Lenovo website.

I was thinking the application checks modify date of QIWY3207.ROM file but it didn’t because when I modified this date using “Attribute Changer” it didn’t worked and I got the same communicates.

In windows eventlog I don’t have any errors so it is an application InsydeFlash.exe or FWUpdLcl.exe or FlsHook.exe because FlsHook.exe is starting and nothing more in log file Is only one info

“[01/19 21:04:39] OnStopAp()”
And one more app views ROM file because if I change it’s name I get communicate: “ROM file not found.”

Anyone has any idea why application didn’t start or how get better logs to check what is problem?

---------------------------------------UPDATE----------------------------- 2016.01.20--7:16PM--GMT+1-------

Every time i use InsydeFlash.exe (even as administrator) I have the same communicate so I tried FPT

fpt and prr2 from this download are broken (they all have 44.3 kB and do not unpack), so I downloaded FPT from here.

when i run fptw64.exe as user I get communicate:

Error 284: Fail to load driver (PCI access for Windows).

Tool needs to run with an administrator priviledge account.

So I started cmd as administrator and used fptw64.exe to verify and here is effect:

c:\FPT_Windows64>fptw64.exe -verify QIWY3207.ROM -bios

Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version:  8.1.10.1286
Copyright (c) 2007 - 2012, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Platform: Intel(R) HM76 Express Chipset
Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---
    EN25Q32B    ID:0x1C3016    Size: 4096KB (32768Kb)
    EN25QH16    ID:0x1C7015    Size: 2048KB (16384Kb)

Warning: Not all of the file data will be compared to flash because
         the file is longer than the flash area to verify!
            File: "QIWY3207.ROM"
            File Length: 6422528
            Verify Length: 4718592

Do you want to continue? Y/<N> or q to quit : Y

- Verifying Flash [0x600000] 4608KB of 4608KB - 100% complete.
Error 204: Data verify mismatch found.

When I use FPT for DOS on MS DOS from my bootable pendrive I have the same communicate.
Is this normal that I got mismatch of files?
Can I do force command to flash it?
Command I want to use: fptw64.exe -f QIWY3207.ROM –bios
I got the same mismatch on original file from Lenovo. All numbers on verify are thesame
Can anyone confirm me that all is OK?
svl7 can you confirm?

Edited by Rymek

2 hours ago, ChelpDim said:

Guys ,how to download a unlock BIOS v 8.01 for my Y580?

Read first post and forum promotion rules. https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/announcement/4-user-account-promotions-please-read/

Can anybody Answer my question?

Or give me MD5 checksum from working QIWY3207.ROM file from "[Y580][Y480]-'unlocked_BIOS'_660mGHzEdition_WhitelistMod" Package.

My MD5 checksum: 70266fcfb776ed665b5de92c62d444c1

And most important question will it work with fptw64 or fpt in DOS?

• Bios Modder
38 minutes ago, Rymek said:

Read first post and forum promotion rules. https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/announcement/4-user-account-promotions-please-read/

Can anybody Answer my question?

Or give me MD5 checksum from working QIWY3207.ROM file from "[Y580][Y480]-'unlocked_BIOS'_660mGHzEdition_WhitelistMod" Package.

My MD5 checksum: 70266fcfb776ed665b5de92c62d444c1

And most important question will it work with fptw64 or fpt in DOS?

Don't try  force command to flash it! You will brick your laptop! File QIWY3207.ROM only for InsydeFlash.exe! For fptw64 or fpt in DOS you need use another bios, with another size.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for info Klem

Is there option to get version of "[Y580][Y480]-'unlocked_BIOS'_660mGHzEdition_WhitelistMod" for fptw64 or fpt?

Or any idea how to run InsydeFlash even turn off my Internet Security package don't give any effect for InsydeFlash :/