Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

megacookies -

Lenovo never put the Y580 stock ROM v8.01 online anywhere.

But there is a guy who backed up his v8.01 bios and put it online

BIOS v8.01 (full name - 5DCN90WW(V8.01) made with FTP64 program

The guy posted the link on the forum here which is

http://forums.digitalmy.net/threads/7033-Insyde-bios-mod-requests/threads/7033-Insyde-bios-mod-requests/page1446

The guys name is Serg008 and the post is #14451 in the thread

Forum > Computing Life > BIOS MODS >BIOS MOD REQUESTS. POST REQUESTS ONLY >Insyde bios mod requests

in case the link here doesn't work

Thanks for sharing! Now I just have to wait till the moment that I am brave enough to flash this original BIOS and after that patching the 8.01 BIOS.

Anyway I still want to know though, if there is anyone beside nicholas who managed to upgrade the 2.07 BIOS to 8.01.

from "rohit 19081995"

I was wondering how to unlock BIOS in the lenovo y500 and enable the intel HD 4000 graphics. Can someone please help me? I'm new to this

I think you would need to flash an unlocked BIOS but to be sure, check out this thread on techinferno

They made a film about flashing the unlocked BIOS.

It's on Vimeo ,https://vimeo.com/70640052

And you can check out the forums on lenovo

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well Guys, I tried flashing my BIOS aswell and it didn't work out as planned. Everytime i flash it i get this message:

(see attachment)

After that, i reboot to BIOS - but there are no changes at all.

NVIDIA Inspector also tells me my def.clock is at 835 MHz.

| Legacy Support/first enabled | BIOS Backflash enabled | current BIOS version: 5DCN90WW(v8.01)|

I hope someone has an idea where i made a mistake - although i managed to follow every step carefully.

Thanks for your help.

_____

EDIT:

After doing it several times it worked - PROBLEM SOLVED!

post-31658-14494999813233_thumb.jpg

Guys, I need your advice. After flashing my laptop does not restart automatically. It says "RESULT: The data is identical" and "FPT operation passed". But it seems that everything is working as it should and the NVIDIA inspector shows me this. Just want to make sure I did everything right. Thanks.

post-35010-14494999815495_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had v2.07 BIOS on my Y580 and tried to make a DOS bootable USB to install Modded v8 BIOS.

Installation completed successfully and then I used the same method to install original BIOS.

That also succeed but when I reboot I have black screen and no boot.

Fn+B method with v2 BIOS not working (I have done it successfully in the past).

In need some help, Thanks in advance.

You installed modded v8 bios onto 2.07 machine, rebooted (so it updated nvars and stuff), and then flashed 2.07 again? Well, i think you bricked your laptor. Try Fn+R, it might work. If it won't - go to service center and reflash bios.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys, I need your advice. After flashing my laptop does not restart automatically. It says "RESULT: The data is identical" and "FPT operation passed". But it seems that everything is working as it should and the NVIDIA inspector shows me this. Just want to make sure I did everything right. Thanks.

Yes, you did everything right.

I have recently noticed that my bios is only showing 4096mb of ram. (1 Stick) cpu-z shows nothing in slot #1 with everything greyed out. I reseated and done a million other things including flashing back to the stock bios from lenovo. cpu-z also shows channel # single. Is it possible that my slot is not fried and this is a bios or configuration issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome

I read and I read and I do not know, I bought a i7 3612QM processor to my y580, before I had i5 3230m, unfortunately after installation i7 processors, the notebook does not start my BIOS version is 2.07, and Windows 8.1 and now I do not know whether to blame the old BIOS however, if procecor is not compatible with my notebook, or the processor is damaged, according to this page Intel Core i7 3612QM vs i5 3320M, everything should work , any ideas?

Hello!

First, I want to thank you svl7 for unlocked BIOS. OC graphic card helped me with many games : )

I have a question. I need to change display in my Y580 and I heard, that in BIOS maybe is a whitelist to these. Is any possibility to clear/delete this? I readed about brightness control problem.

Y580 - Upgrade 1366x768 to 1920x1080 (B156HW01 V4) - Dual channel 40-pin cable? | Page 4 | NotebookReview

If you cant help me with these, maybe you can anserw in other question. If my new screen will not be in whitelist and I will have only 2-3 steps brightness control app like this will be work to dimming? Dimmer - Small and free screen brightness reduction utility for LCD/TFT/LED monitors

Post 1 of 5.

I made a dump of my BIOS and modded it myself. Would like to compare it to svl7 version. I'm not interested in overclocking or unlocked menus, I just want to get rid of the WLAN whitelist. I have my modded BIOS, but having trouble flashing it since I'm running Ubuntu (no Windows dual boot).

1. How to flash under dos because my lenovo y580 have a black screen?

2. When i press one key recovery button my screen still black..nothing can see..- LENOVO Y580

use HDMI / VGA?

Hello!

I have a question. I need to change display in my Y580 and I heard, that in BIOS maybe is a whitelist to these. Is any possibility to clear/delete this? I readed about brightness control problem.

Y580 - Upgrade 1366x768 to 1920x1080 (B156HW01 V4) - Dual channel 40-pin cable? | Page 4 | NotebookReview

If you cant help me with these, maybe you can anserw in other question. If my new screen will not be in whitelist and I will have only 2-3 steps brightness control app like this will be work to dimming? Dimmer - Small and free screen brightness reduction utility for LCD/TFT/LED monitors

i have similar question, can someboy recommend good and cheap glossy hd screen, which work with brightness control and standart 40 pin cable?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I have huge problem with my ping. Pobably due to packet loss i'm getting, mostly in online games such as Watrhunder or Planetside 2. Ping rises incredibly, sometimes 1000-2000ms. I tried to update cards drivers, it improved situation a little bit, but problem is still there. My friend told me, i should replace my N-2200 with something else and he offers me dual band N-1000. Will it help? And do i really need to flash my BIOS?

Can someone assist me? I've mistakenly a BIOS update through Lenovo for my Y580 that apparently ended up being a G580 BIOS. Now my screen is black and not even showing the POST logo. If someone can direct me on restore factory bios I would be forever grateful otherwise I'm sitting here with a bricked laptop. It's a Y580 with a 3610Qm processor, not the 3630QM. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Could you please confirm that this way works for any version of the Y580 laptops? Actually I have it from German and BIOS show v 7.9.2G . Can it be some customized or special version?

I bought it on ebay as used few months ago.

Thanks in advance

Anyone experienced issues with the GTX 660m disapearing after modded BIOS?

Mine disapeared, and I tryed everything related with BIOS and Drivers.

Have any other clue but hardware, now I'm running only with HD4000.

Anything that may help me?

Hi i'm new to this thread but could not find the answer in any earlier posts are there any AC wireless cards compatible like the Intel AC 3160?

Is only intel N compatible?

Hi, as far I researched there is no dual band card white-listed by default, there is a list here that describes what is compatible, there is also an extract of PIDs and VIDs of suported cards somwhere (I can't recall now where)

Cheers.

Hi a quick question is the backup done via fpt enough to make the clean recovery (like the one described here) in case of problems, I'm on the 5DCN90WW (v8.1) and Lenovo posted only v2.7 (which itself is strange)