Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

First off, all of these questions you're desperately wanting the answer to have already been answered and could be located using a simple "search thread" query.

Hi Guys, one question, can i flash 5DCN90WW bios if my stock version is 5DCN40WW, just installed win8.1 do i need to do this??
Hi there. I've been thinking about flashing your BIOS, but I have one doubt. Is the BIOS version kinda related to a OS ? Do I need a special BIOS version depending what OS version laptop i got ? I see there are two basic versions: 2.0x and 8.0x I don't want to brick my laptop so I need to be sure. I've got 2.07 BIOS (from Lenovo website) and originally my Y580 was without an OS. Now I am on Windows 8.1, So what BIOS version should i flash ? 'Lenovo Y580 / Y480 BIOS v2.07 (5DCN40WW) -> unlocked, whitelist removed, Nvidia 660m @ 1GHz default 3d clocks,' this one ?

The 2.XX BIOS version is the default/stock for those who purchased the y580 which had Windows 7 already installed. The 8.XX BIOS is for the Y580s which came with Windows 8/8.1 installed. If you had a laptop that had Windows 7 as the stock OS and then installed Windows 8/8.1, you may or may not receive an annoying watermark and dysfunctional secure boot functionality which is a part of Windows 8/8.1. Since we're talking about any Y580 that had Windows 7 OS as stock, it will be running 2.XX BIOS version which was not made for Windows 8/8.1.The solution to this is to ofcourse flash the 8.XX BIOS version.

But be warned

Make sure you do exactly what <insert someone with a success story's name> did in order to get the results you want. There have been a lot of people who have successfully flashed an 8.XX BIOS on top of a 2.XX version. Search the thread for the how, I'm just telling you all the why.

@bORZZ, you don't necessarily need this, but it allows you to change the short and long power limit duration & TDP, able to disable hyperthreading/cores/etc/etc and if you're planning on an eGPU setup, it is absolutely necessary to unlock the bios, 2.xx or 8.xx doesn't matter.

i CANNOT CREATE THE BACKUP FILE. I CLICK ON THE BACKUP.BAT AND IT JUST OPENS AND THEN CLOSES ANY SUGGESTIONS AND NO .BIN FILE IS CREATED. NOT SURE WHAT TO DO I REALLY NEED THIS

Hit start, type cmd, right click -> run as admin -> cd <path of backup.bat> -> backup.bat -> enter

On the 8.XX Bios when it is flashed will it allow OS booting from the mSATA chip on Windows 8.1? I can't recall if this is possible or not but it would be nice to place something like Ubuntu on the 16gb mSATA chip I have in my laptop and not have to worry about messing with my main drive.

Hey guys, i have aproblem!

My bios history is like this:

ORIG 2.0x Y580 bios --> svl7's Unlocked2.07 BIOS ----> ErYani's 1.125 VBIOS

ErYani is a bit overwolted But then i have a problem, it set my default clock to 1250 and mem clock to 3000 but est max and all rest shows like this:

post-31387-14494998794476_thumb.png

In stress (games etc) it goes only up to 1000.

To get it showing 1250 in game i need to set it to +300 on core, what is the issue here?

On the 8.XX Bios when it is flashed will it allow OS booting from the mSATA chip on Windows 8.1? I can't recall if this is possible or not but it would be nice to place something like Ubuntu on the 16gb mSATA chip I have in my laptop and not have to worry about messing with my main drive.

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

Ordered an Intel Ultimate-N 6300 AGN card so I can finally use the 5GHz band on my router.. just need to do the BIOS mod to remove whitelisting!

What's up!

I have some trouble with update BIOS.

I try update, make DOS flash, but my laptop don't want load flash drive. I try on/off uefi, usb legacy, and other critical BIOS options. Just black screen couple seconds, and after jump to next position on boot list.

Maybe i mus change some setting in UEFI menu?

• 1 month later...
What's up!

I try update, make DOS flash, but my laptop don't want load flash drive. I try on/off uefi, usb legacy, and other critical BIOS options. Just black screen couple seconds, and after jump to next position on boot list.

Some USB flash drives are detected as HDD in Windows. Please check if your USB stick is detected as a removable disk. Then look in the BIOS, USB Boot Device must be enabled. Then do not forget to change to Legasy support. I recommend devices with 2GB or less.

- Nvidia 660m 'GHz edition' - 1000MHz default 3d clocks

Can someone please help me with this item?

In my work I used GPU intensively (CUDA-code). Therefore new default 1GHz clock can lead to GPU overheating...

How I can switch this item in mod BIOS to Lenovo default?

Hi,

I also have a 5dcn89ww BIOS.

- I am curious why you are trying "recover" it? Did the procedure not work? (I am trying it now..)

- When you make a backup of your BIOS, it's just a file. You can rename whatever you want. just take the flash drive to another computer (the library?) and simply rename the gibberish file to biosbackup, or something simple (I think DOS will only allow 16 char's). If you try to rename it in DOS, you will have to type the name like this (first 6 digits~1) for example, if my file is called supercalifragilistic, I would call it "superc~1" in DOS (mightbe easier to mount in Windows, and rename, though..)

Just tried the procedure. I was very careful. It gave a warning about trucating the BIOS size, and I said OK. Then it said Flash successful. I rebooted to confirm that I could, but when I put the new wifi card in and tried to boot, it said "unauthorized wifi card. power off and remove..." Checking the BIOS version confirms that I still have the old version(!) Before I go back, I'm going to re-verify the contents of my Flash drive, and try again..

OK, so after trying it again, I can see that the BIOS has been updated! (I think I forgot to type "new" after the bios name when I typed the flash code). I was able to install the new wifi (Intel 7280) card and more than double my speeds over the 140mb/s dog that Lenovo thought was adequate..

I would encourage anyone with errors to carefully read the directions again, there are at least two places where SVL7 has already provided the fix, you just need to run it at the right time.

Here are the steps I used (credit: RedRagnarok - I just made them clearer):

I have Lenovo Y580 with i7-3240M, 16GB RAM, SSD Samsung EVO840 (250GB), HDD 1Tb, Windows7, BIOS v.8.00 (5DCN89WW).

1. Backup your bios (BiosBackup.bin)-see the first page (I used the Windows method from CLI)

2. Fix your modded BIOS: Put these files in a single folder on your computer (Y580-Y480_BiosFix.exe, fparts* v800.bin. extract BIOS fix).

3. Run Y580-Y480_BiosFix.exe (or the fix for your version) while still in Windows (it's a Windows program only)

7088d1366788601-fix.jpg

4. Copy all these files to your Flash Drive (you don't need BIOS fix, b/c it's a Windows Program):

- v800Fix.bin (your modified, fixed BIOS)

- fparts (*if you fixed Error 104 with the modified fparts file, make sure and use the same one)

- fpt

- prr2

(Boot into DOS)

5. Run PRR2.exe (it should say ready to flash)

6. Flash BIOS with v800Fix.bin

(I got a truncation error the first time, hit enter to proceed, and it said success, but for some reason the BIOS didn't update. I tried it again with just a couple of "doesn't exist" warnings (that needed no input) and it was successful again (but this time the BIOS was updated). I also changed the setting in my old BIOS to BIOS rollback: enable (but I doubt that did anything as far as the update process is concerned).

(I can't speak for licensing info, since I ditched the OEM WIndows 8 long ago...)

Hope this helps!!

(One last thing I have to do is buy SVL7 a beer...)

I'd appreciate it if someone could also post some pictures of the more interesting sub-menus, e.g. advanced CPU control, video settings and similar.

Well dunno if you've gotten these but here are a few of Video/GPU menu..

post-32246-14494999238927_thumb.jpg

post-32246-1449499923944_thumb.jpg

So, obviously I've done the bios mod and bought @svl7 a beer.. and it's great :) However now I'm considering my next mod.. a bit more complex/challenging, but doable: the eGPU. Thing is, I don't wanna lose my new wireless card, or mSATA drive I've thrown in!

My question is, in the following pic, is there potential for soldering on an additional mPCIe port to run a PE4H diy eGPU dock? I'm fairly handy but it's more an issue of whether the port is available to the system. I notice the whitelist BIOS tells me a lot more about available ports, and was wondering if someone could determine if it's functional?

post-32246-14494999239969_thumb.jpg

In the much improved BIOS, there ARE some good clues that it could work.. as there are 8 lanes PCIE.. presumably, 8x 2.0 configuration for PCIe for the HM76-express chipset..

post-32246-14494999240697_thumb.jpg

All of these lanes are set to "enabled".. is there any way to determine which lane would relate to the "mystery" port?

Thanks much!!

Could you please help me to understand what is the difference between "Lenovo Y580 - Y480 BIOS v8.01 (5DCN90WW) - Mod.zip" and "Lenovo Y580 - Y480 BIOS v8.00 (5DCN90WW) - Mod.zip"?

What is a better choice in my situation (In my work I used GPU intensively (CUDA-code). Therefore new default 1GHz clock can lead to GPU overheating...) ??

Thank You so much!

Well dunno if you've gotten these but here are a few of Video/GPU menu..

My question is, in the following pic, is there potential for soldering on an additional mPCIe port to run a PE4H diy eGPU dock? I'm fairly handy but it's more an issue of whether the port is available to the system. I notice the whitelist BIOS tells me a lot more about available ports, and was wondering if someone could determine if it's functional?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13795[/ATTACH]

In the much improved BIOS, there ARE some good clues that it could work.. as there are 8 lanes PCIE.. presumably, 8x 2.0 configuration for PCIe for the HM76-express chipset..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13796[/ATTACH]

All of these lanes are set to "enabled".. is there any way to determine which lane would relate to the "mystery" port?

Thanks much!!

I have personally done an eGPU setup with a GTX 970, except I used PE4L, not PE4H (I plan on upgrading to this next). With that being said, there is no need for any soldering to be done. I'm pretty sure the only difference between PE4H and PE4L is the actual interface the GPU will be connected to, where everyone else remains the same e.g. the other end of the flat, mini-HDMI cable, which is a mPCIe connector. The ports you're able to use (that I know for sure and have personally tried) are the WIFI and "LAN" ports. The LAN port is right next to the WIFI one, in your picture where you have the teal-colored X. Obviously the ideal port to use is the one for WIFI because you don't have to tape the mPCIe cable since they only come in half-length sizes and secondly the WIFI port is an odd-numbered port (which is what you want).

In regards to your comment on the "8 available PCI lanes" you have to realize that some of those are already being used by 660m, GbE port(Ethernet), WLAN port, LAN port, and I think the mSATA and SATA are the other two. BTW, when you first setup your eGPU, you will want to make sure wireless lan is enabled under configuration if you decide to use the WLAN port; for the LAN port you will want to go under advanced -> peripheral -> enable lan and disable the option underneath that pops up after enabling. Regardless of which port you use, you have to set PCIE reset and ASPM to disabled, and PEG0, 1, 2, 3 to Gen 2 under advanced->video.

Does anyone know how to OC 3920XM or any other unlocked CPU on a Y580? I just bought this 3920xm thinking I'd be able to increase its unlocked multipliers but unable to in both the BIOS and Intel XTU (as well as throttlestop). I assumed the ICC registers lock in BIOS would be lifted once an unlocked CPU was detected. If you have the 3720qm or are able to help me, please reply or send me a PM. Thanks.

"8 available PCI lanes" you have to realize that some of those are already being used by 660m, GbE port(Ethernet), WLAN port, LAN port, and I think the mSATA and SATA are the other two."

I count six there :)

SATA is IDE also.. It's listed that way in BIOS and IDE has other incarnations like DVD so I assume its different. Even if it isn't, there's space. I'm waiting til 14nm GPU's (or at least 20) before trying it but adding a port for this application is well worth it to me.. any insight on whether or not it's actually possible much appreciated. I know I could use the WiFi port I just added from this very helpful thread, but I'd rather not, as it turns out ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Out of curiosity, did you swap CPU's? Like, change out the actual chip? That's cool... :)

Oh dear lord.. I guess no one knows how to google anything anymore.

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

Ordered an Intel Ultimate-N 6300 AGN card so I can finally use the 5GHz band on my router.. just need to do the BIOS mod to remove whitelisting!

Yes you can boot to mSATA (why wouldn't you be able to?). I have an SX300 256 mSATA SSD I've been using as a main drive. You can change the boot order of your drives in BIOS (even without flashing modded version) and just have your main drive be at the top.

What's up!

Boot your laptop and hit F12 on the same screen you would hit f2 to enter bios. Select your flash drive.... And revert any settings you did to get this to work.

is it possible to increase voltage for gpu in this bios?

Yes it is possible, however because of the vbios being integrated with the main bios, you won't be able to change it on the fly. Send me your BIOS and I will modify the GPU voltage for you. The highest you can go is 1.2125 V, this is a hardware & driver limit by nvidia. Be warned, your idle GPU temp is going to increase significantly so make sure you repaste and use a cooler.

Can someone please help me with this item?

In my work I used GPU intensively (CUDA-code). Therefore new default 1GHz clock can lead to GPU overheating...

How I can switch this item in mod BIOS to Lenovo default?

Unless your laptop came with faulty parts or you're using your laptop where the ambient temp is very hot, 1 GHz clock is not going to cause overheating. IIRC stock clocks is 800 something so ~200 extra MHz is only going to increase the GPU temperature only under load. At the very most you will probably only notice 3-5 C degree difference.

- - - Updated - - -

I count six there :)

SATA is IDE also.. It's listed that way in BIOS and IDE has other incarnations like DVD so I assume its different. Even if it isn't, there's space. I'm waiting til 14nm GPU's (or at least 20) before trying it but adding a port for this application is well worth it to me.. any insight on whether or not it's actually possible much appreciated. I know I could use the WiFi port I just added from this very helpful thread, but I'd rather not, as it turns out ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Out of curiosity, did you swap CPU's? Like, change out the actual chip? That's cool... :)

I don't know if you're understanding me but just to clarify, there is no mystery port. If you check the datasheet for your CPU, you'll find the max PCI configurations are 6. Specifically, 1x16, or 2x8, or 1x8 and 2x4. Source: http://ark.intel.com/products/64887/Intel-Core-i7-3920XM-Processor-Extreme-Edition-8M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

That link is for the 3820XM, but I think this is the same for all 7-series chipsets. When you say it is well worth it to you, if that is supposed to mean that you'll gain a significant increase in bandwidth/performance, you're mistaken. PE4H will use x8 lanes, regardless of how you configure it. You cannot increase bandwidth using something that isn't there to use.

&& Yes, I took out the 3610QM and replaced it with 3920XM just to prove to all those people saying the y580 can't handle a 55w cpu lol (: Just can't figure out how to increase its multipliers..

Not to argue, but you seem to be just the person I want to talk to about this :)

I don't know if you're understanding me but just to clarify, there is no mystery port. If you check the datasheet for your CPU, you'll find the max PCI configurations are 6.

MMM I read 8 :) Not that I can guarantee I'm interpreting it properly..

post-32246-14494999264991_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, I am also booting from 256GB mSATA (Plextor).. and it's excellent. But, I gather mSATA is recognized as IDE or SATA by our machines.. they pins look the same as mPCIE but are different standards. From wikipedia: "The connector is similar in appearance to a PCI Express Mini Card interface,[43] but is not electrically compatible; "

Therefore, I don't believe there's a PCI real estate issue! And, there's clearly a port on the MoBo which simply lacks the mPCIe header. I'm just wanting to use this extra, still mystery!!, and presumably x2.0 port as a means to not lose wiFi, or lan, or what have you.. to get an eGPU to work :) I need/prefer laptop and desktop modes.

I somewhat doubt that the GTX660M is using more than PCI 2.0 speed connection but that's purely conjecture! It just seems like, great gains are made with eGPU at x2.0 speed so why would that be possible if the local GPU was in x4 or x8 mode.

Anyway thanks for the great info I'm now interested in re-pasting and upping voltage for GPU. Also, very cool about 3920XM!! I was always wondering if that type of mod was possible. Best luck on your quest to unlock its full potential!! I'm gonna try to keep an eye out for the progress on that, friggin cool mod :)

Not to argue, but you seem to be just the person I want to talk to about this :)

MMM I read 8 :) Not that I can guarantee I'm interpreting it properly..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13857[/ATTACH]

Meanwhile, I am also booting from 256GB mSATA (Plextor).. and it's excellent. But, I gather mSATA is recognized as IDE or SATA by our machines.. they pins look the same as mPCIE but are different standards. From wikipedia: "The connector is similar in appearance to a PCI Express Mini Card interface,[43] but is not electrically compatible; "

Therefore, I don't believe there's a PCI real estate issue! And, there's clearly a port on the MoBo which simply lacks the mPCIe header. I'm just wanting to use this extra, still mystery!!, and presumably x2.0 port as a means to not lose wiFi, or lan, or what have you.. to get an eGPU to work :) I need/prefer laptop and desktop modes.

I somewhat doubt that the GTX660M is using more than PCI 2.0 speed connection but that's purely conjecture! It just seems like, great gains are made with eGPU at x2.0 speed so why would that be possible if the local GPU was in x4 or x8 mode.

Anyway thanks for the great info I'm now interested in re-pasting and upping voltage for GPU. Also, very cool about 3920XM!! I was always wondering if that type of mod was possible. Best luck on your quest to unlock its full potential!! I'm gonna try to keep an eye out for the progress on that, friggin cool mod :)

I am 1000000% positive the 660M is 3.0 x16. Hence why it is (somewhat) necessary to disable it so that you can reserve the PCIe bandwidth for the eGPU. The eGPU must be PCIe gen 2 link because both the mPCIe port, and the PExx passive PCI adapter only support upto gen 2.0. As to whether the eGPU itself supports 3.0 speeds is irrelevant.

Secondly, I think you are mixing up PCIe link speeds and PCIe bandwidth.. There are only PCIe link speeds of gen 1, gen 2, and gen 3. Possible bandwidths are x1, x2, x4, x8, and x16 (powers of 2). PE4L can only use x2 because the actual physical connection does not fit, leaving part of the GPU pins unconnected; AFAIK, the PE4C can do x8. PCI real estate is not a concern whatsoever when you're adding an eGPU. The limitations of the external GPU is limited to the following: the GPU itself, the specific adapter you're connecting with (PE4L, PE4C, etc etc), PSU (power going to GPU), CPU (potential bottleneck), and active PCI ports along with BIOS settings. I read somewhere that using an odd numbered port (WLAN), and having its adjacent even numbered ports disabled can significantly increase bandwidth.

The reference sheet that you're referring to is specific to the chipset and limited to the motherboard. Basically when Lenovo or its manufacturer designs the motherboard, they can choose not to add all of the lanes, which in this case I'm sure they used all of them. I'm not totally sure about the existance of a "mystery port" but I am 100% positive that it completely irrelevant and insignificant in adding an eGPU to the Y580. Hope that helps