svl7

Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

1474 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can't see the attachment here.

That right... there are menus that you should be careful with settings.

I will try to make more pics.. sometime today.

Great news :frog:

Thank you very much !

Do you think it will be possible to have a bios version that will remove the wifi-card whitelist system ?

I really need to install a dual band wifi card on my Y580 ...

1 person likes this

There's a wifi-whitelist in the bios? I need to look into this, could be removed, possibly.

That's lame they put a whitelist..I was looking forward to replacing my 2200n with a 6235

I don't think this is a good idea : there is already a bluetooth 4.0 broadcom chipset which is integrated (as the 2200n doesn't have bluetooth 4 ...).

So if you install a 6235, you'll have two bluetooth devices : the intel and the broadcom ...

A 6205 seems to be a better option for me :encouragement:

I don't think this is a good idea : there is already a bluetooth 4.0 broadcom chipset which is integrated (as the 2200n doesn't have bluetooth 4 ...).

So if you install a 6235, you'll have two bluetooth devices : the intel and the broadcom ...

A 6205 seems to be a better option for me :encouragement:

Thanks for pointing that out. It makes better sense. Somehow I thought the Broadcom bluetooth chipset was integrated on the same package as the 2200n. Guess I should of read up more on how everything was integrated into the Y580 with the different devices and chipsets. On a separate note, has anyone been experiencing weird wifi issues with the 2200n and the Windows 8 enterprise trial version? I have the latest 15.5 intel drivers and sometimes when it comes out of hibernation, it won't allow it to connect to any wifi APs and shows a stale list of available APs without refreshing. Disable/enable the wifi seems to correct the issue. I'm thinking either driver related or some Windows 8 bug.

1 person likes this

Do you really think that Lenovo could have created a special 2200N version with a broadcom chipset integrated ?

I'll try to remove the wifi card tomorrow just to be sure.

I don't have this problem on W8 RTM.

You are right. My bad. It's a separate module. It's a BCM920702 with a separate connector on the motherboard. I found the reference in the Y480/Y580 Hardware Maintenance Manual found here: http://consumerdl.lenovo.com.cn/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User's%20guides%20and%20manuals/Y480Y580/Lenovo%20Y480&Y580%20Hardware%20Maintenance%20Manual%20V1.0.pdf

1 person likes this

Ok, I checked this morning by removing the wireless card : the bluetooth is still working !

So the only remaining problem for me is the wifi-whitelist ...

If it could be removed, it would be awsome :orange:

How big of a problem should it be to install a wifi card that has bluetooth on it? Couldn't you just simply disable the Broadcom chip or the Bluetooth feature on the wifi card?

Another thing I noticed is that the Broadcom chip is connected via the USB bus. I find that kinda weird, shouldn't it be going through the PCI bus if it's soldered onto the motherboard? (at least, I'm assuming it's soldered on).

Ok, I checked this morning by removing the wireless card : the bluetooth is still working !

So the only remaining problem for me is the wifi-whitelist ...

If it could be removed, it would be awsome :orange:

You don't need to remove the wireless card to see the bluetooh module to work..

just go to the stock bios and disable the wireless lan, that it..

Alright, got a version here which should allow other wlan / wwan cards as well. Have never looked into this before, but this should do the trick, else let me know.

It's a test, I need to know whether it works as intended or not, some people sometimes fail to see this point and just grab the file and I never hear anything back from them. That's why I set a password on the archive, if you want to test it let me know and I'll give you the pw, but I'll expect you to let me know whether it works or not. Sorry about this inconvenience, but I'm afraid it's needed.

Once confirmed to work I'll upload it to the frontpage, as the unlocked version without the whitelist tweak.

- confirmed to work, file moved to first post -

1 person likes this

would you be able to upload a version with a modified vbios just like the dells?

Hey svl7

what are the cards you added? any 5 ghz brand?

Also I running flat as to where is the trick to get the gig Atheros LAN on at boot, I have tried a lot of combination none work..

I need PXE lan up and running at boot.

I use acronis and paragon to back on network.

any ID????

Thanks

would you be able to upload a version with a modified vbios just like the dells?

Yeah, will do. Are you already able to overclock using software like MSI afterburner?

Hey svl7

what are the cards you added? any 5 ghz brand?

Also I running flat as to where is the trick to get the gig Atheros LAN on at boot, I have tried a lot of combination none work..

I need PXE lan up and running at boot.

I use acronis and paragon to back on network.

any ID????

Thanks

I didn't add anything, I removed the check.

Regarding PXE - no idea, that seems to be in the stock bios, so it should definitely work. Maybe another Lenovo user can help you out.

1 person likes this

svl7 - yea we can already overclock the GPU with afterburner :) a modded vbios would be awesome.. also just in case if anything goes wrong with this bios how can you recover the bios? say in the event of a corruption? I remember my old asus netbook you could put the bios on a USB drive and hold the power and esc keys and it would recover the bios from the USB drive. Any recovery methods for this laptop?

Recovery method should be similar to the way you mention, I don't know the key combo for this system, but all recent Insyde firmwares use this recovery.

Regarding the whitelist removal - @Martin de Regt told me that it works fine, no check anymore. Thanks for testing! :)

+ added to the first post.

Recovery method should be similar to the way you mention, I don't know the key combo for this system, but all recent Insyde firmwares use this recovery.

Regarding the whitelist removal - @Martin de Regt told me that it works fine, no check anymore. Thanks for testing! :)

+ added to the first post.

Great.. I will be looking for a good dual band pcie wireless card now...

as for my LAN at boot problem I got resolved by loading the proper driver..

as for WOL from total shutdown still a puzzle ?????

if anyone with this mod bios willing to try the right bios set up: >> lan cable in then plug the ac cord

the lan light next to the cable should blink. that my goal... BIOS puzzle ... hummmm.

Yeah, will do. Are you already able to overclock using software like MSI afterburner?

I have not tried MSI Afterburner yet unfortunately...

svl7-I tried to download the mod bios without the WLAN whitelist to try and was not allowed too. I'm wondering if you are still testing it and will you make it available to the rest of us? By the way great work in unlocking the bios!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By X0pas1
      Hello all, I just wonder if someone could take a look at a bios to know if
      it's possible to unlock it?
      a Dell Alienware Area51 R2 model  : file name: Alienware_Area_51_R2_A08.exe       Link here
      Thanks a lot
      Pas

• By andr01dm
      Hello.

I have a Lenovo G40-70 that I'm trying to add an eGPU to, it has an Intel Core i7-4510U CPU, 8GB of RAM, and onboard Intel HD Graphics 4400.  I bought a Bplus PE4C v4.1 with the M.2 A/E key, and a Sapphire Radeon R7 240.  The power supply is an Antec ATX 430W.

I started trying to get it running on Win 10 64bit, but as that was installed with UEFI I couldn't run DIY eGPU.  I've since installed Win 8.1 Pro 64bit using "Legacy" mode.  For testing I'm using HWiNFO64 to check the status of the system's PCI Express bus.. the tree for which looks like this:

Bus
        - PCI Bus #0
          - Intel Lynx Point-LP - PCI Express Root Port #3
            - PCI Express x1 Bus #1
               - RealTek Semiconductor etc. etc.
          - Intel Lynx Point-LP - PCI Express Root Port #4
            - PCI Express x1 Bus #2

Bus #2 is where my laptop's Wifi was plugged in, and has been swapped out for the eGPU.

At first I had no luck at all with getting the eGPU to show up.  So I tried going through every combination of Delay and Settings configuration of the switches on the PE4C.  I tried booting with the wifi installed, sleeping, swapping in the powered up eGPU and nothing.  Tried booting with the eGPU powered up, booting with it powered off.  Still nothing.  Tried taping over line 22 on the PE4C's key.  No change.

I purchased the DIY eGPU app and have been trying to figure it out, but initially I wasn't able to get the eGPU to appear in DIY either.

I'm not 100% certain what happened but during yet another boot into DIY, with the PE4C switches set to stock.. first position on each switch.. no special power up on the PE4C.. suddenly my eGPU was there!  It had found it!!  I have no idea what had changed, but it was working.

I ran a few of the commands in DIY eGPU which only work on a found eGPU.  Didn't really understand any of the output though.

So I crossed my fingers and rebooted into Windows and found that it was still working!  The video card showed up in HWiNFO, so  I installed video drivers, rebooted, still working.  I had video out put to both the external monitor and my laptop's screen.. dual monitors, not mirrors.  Thinking the worst was over I began setting up Steam.  A short time later my external monitor suddenly cut out, and then my laptop locked up.

Reboot.  The eGPU was still working.. but my internet connection was messed up for about 10 min, before finally coming back.  The LAN hardware is in PCIe Bus #1 so maybe there was some kind of 'crosstalk' with the video card on PCIe Bus #2?  About 15 min later, the output to the external monitor died and the laptop locked up again.

I shut down, removed the PE4C's key from the PCIe slot and rebooted.  The onboard GPU worked normally and no crashes.  A while later I re-installed the PE4C's key and found that my system could no longer find the eGPU.

I've been poking around this forum looking for possible solutions, and booting into DIY eGPU to try and make sense of it all.  But I think it's time to reach out and see if anyone can suggest a course of action...

I've tried to run "Compact All except..." in DIY with the default range, and it appears to run, but then I'm unable to return to the GUI due to "C: DOS area: sector not found" error.  So I ran the command which logs the compact attempt and I'm attaching the C:\diag folder to this post.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or if there's any more info you'd like me to provide.  I have photos of the handful of tests I ran in DIY when the video card was detected, and I can provide them if you think they might help.

Thank you.
      diag.zip
    • By mrdatamx
      NOTE: This post has been updated to reflect the latest state of this implementation...

Hello mates,
      I am delighted to share a bit of my new successful implementation...

After fighting my way thru previous EGPU implementations using several Linux distributions. From Ubuntu Mate 14 & 15 to Linux Mate and Centos 5 and 6. I only documented one of them.
      I had to share this experience, mostly because I am amazed by what the community behind Ubuntu Mate 16.04 has achieved. So bear with me.

System Specs
      Lenovo T430
      Intel Core i5-3320m at 2.6 Ghz
      8 GB DDR3L 12800
      16 GB DDR3L 12800
      Intel HD 4000
      EGPU:
      Zotac GeForce GTX 750 1GB
      EVGA GeForce GTX 950 SC+ 2GB
      KFA2 GeForce GTX 970 OC Silent "Infin8 Black Edition" 4GB
      EXP GDC v8.3 Beast Express Card
      Seasonic 350 watts 80+ bronze
      Display:
      Internal LCD 1600x900
      Dell UltraSharp 2007FP - 20.1" LCD Monitor

Procedure:
      I prepared the hardware as usual. Feeding power to the Beast adapter using the PSU. Plugging these into the laptop's ExpressCard slot.

The installation of Ubuntu Mate 16.04 used is only a couple of weeks old and is loaded only with a full stack of Python and web tools I need.
      For the integrated graphic card, stock open source drivers are used. For the EGPU... I was ready to perform the usual steps, disable nouveau drivers, reboot switch to run level 3, install the cuda drivers, etc. But..
      Following the advice read on a Ubuntu/Nvidia forum, and very sceptical, I installed the most recent proprietary drivers for my card. Reboot. Boom! I am done. Even functionality previously not available in Linux is now available...

As you can see from the last screenshot the drivers now report what processes are being executed on the GPU, that was something reserved previously to high-end GPUs like Teslas.
      That screenshot also shows the evidence of the computation being performed in the GPU while the display is rendered in my laptop's LCD.

This screenshot also shows how the proprietary driver can now display the GPU temperature as well as other useful data.
      For those of you into CUDA computing, I can report CUDA toolkit 7.5 is now available in the Ubuntu repository and also installs and performs without any issue. I went from zero to training TensorFlow models using the GPU in 30 minutes or so. Amazing!
      I could expand this post if anyone needs more info, but it was very easy.
      Cheers!

After upgrading the GPU two times, my system is now capable of handling Doom fairly easy. Now some benchmark results.

RAM eGPU PCIe gen 3d Mark 11 3dm11 Graphics 8 GB GTX 750 2 P3 996 4 095 16 GB GTX 750 2 P3 994 4 094 16 GB GTX 950 1 P5 214 7 076 16 GB GTX 950 2 P5 249 7 709 16 GB GTX 970 1 P7 575 11 202 16 GB GTA 970 2 P8 176 12 946
      Now, the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 might not seem relevant from the results in the table. But playing Doom there is a difference of around 15 fps on average between both modes. This brief difference is even more noticeable during intense fights.

• By whoa
      Hello everyone!

I finally got my eGPU setup working after many endless hours, and decided to write and implementation guide for users struggling with similar setups.

Notebook Details
      13" Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E330
      i3-3120M 2.5Ghz
      HD4000 iGPU 
      8 GB RAM
      Windows 8.1
      eGPU Gear
      EXP GDC Beast v8.0 eGPU adapter with mPCIe cable lead
      450W Corsair CX450M PSU
      Gainward GTX 670 Phantom edition 2GB GDDR5 225W TDP
      Performance Results
      will include later

Now for the build itself...

Implementation Guide
      As Lenovo Thinkpad Edge's TOLUD is 3,5GB leading to Windows error 12, and Lenovo is well known for using whitelisting, the build might seem like a lost cause. However when there is a will, there will eventually be a way. 

1.Error 12

!!! DO A BACKUP FIRST !!!

To overcome the error 12 I followed the guide on this thread: 

Windows 8.1 and 10 users please note that you have to run the following command as and Admin user in command prompt
      bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON  
      2.Whitelisting
      Now we only have to overcome the whitelisting. The only way to overcome it elegantly is with a bios mod. However you are only able to install bios mod if you have bios version 1.09 or older as Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E330's bioses 1.12-> have EEPROM write protection thus installing a bios mod requires certain flashing device and an skilled user.
      As bios modding is a dangerous thing to do, and can lead into a seriously overpriced paperweight (your laptop!!), I myself didn't feel the urge to do it.

I settled for hotswapping: Boot the laptop with whitelisted WIFI card attached > Boot into setup 1.30 menu > hit F5 > carefully remove the WIFI card and attach the eGPU and voila! Setup 1.30 should now detect your eGpu

3.Booting to windows
      After succesfully completing a DSDT override, and overcoming the whitelisting, now what is left to do is to boot into Setup 1.30 (using above hotswapping method or not if you have a bios mod) and run a pci compaction 36-bit on eGPU and then chainload to windows and start gaming (YEAHH!!!! THAT'S RIGHT BITHCES)

#OPTIONAL#
      (4.Almost forgot) 
      As Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E330 has an half-miniPCIe slot I removed a tiny piece of plastic to make the EXP GDC mPCIe adapter fit better

#OPTIONAL#

I myself got a huge gaming boost out of this and enjoyed doing it, however your mileage may vary...

Thanks to:
      @nando4 for setup 1.30 and eGPU threads
      @angerthosenear for DSDT override guide

• By senso
      Good evening, so I got a Toshiba P50-A-12Z to use as a work horse, mounted a 480GB SSD, 16GB of RAM, and I already knew that there is something that limits the cpu clock to 2.7Ghz when all cores are used, it is already repasted with Grizzly Kryonaut and it wount go over 70ºC under load, but its BIOS is very limited and I have some hope that I might be able to remove this clock limitation.
      So, I updated the BIOS/EC to the latest version(1.9 and 1.3EC) and it is an AMI Aptio BIOS, no information about the Aptio version but it as UEFI boot, but no acess to UEFI shell from the BIOS.
      If i use the lateste 5.05 AFUWIN in Windows the system hangs and must be shutdown in the power button because the keyboard/mouse dont respond anymore.
      Using a pen with FreeDos(via Rufus) with AFU for Aptio 2.28, AFUDOS 5.05, AFU4.25, AFU4.28, AFU4.33 and anything else that I might be forgetting, I get either BIOS is write protected or cant get flash information.
      Is there anyway to dump this BIOS?

Best regards.