svl7

Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

1453 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can't see the attachment here.

Thanks, fixed.

That right... there are menus that you should be careful with settings.

I will try to make more pics.. sometime today.

Great news :frog:

Thank you very much !

Do you think it will be possible to have a bios version that will remove the wifi-card whitelist system ?

I really need to install a dual band wifi card on my Y580 ...

1 person likes this

There's a wifi-whitelist in the bios? I need to look into this, could be removed, possibly.

That's lame they put a whitelist..I was looking forward to replacing my 2200n with a 6235

I don't think this is a good idea : there is already a bluetooth 4.0 broadcom chipset which is integrated (as the 2200n doesn't have bluetooth 4 ...).

So if you install a 6235, you'll have two bluetooth devices : the intel and the broadcom ...

A 6205 seems to be a better option for me :encouragement:

I don't think this is a good idea : there is already a bluetooth 4.0 broadcom chipset which is integrated (as the 2200n doesn't have bluetooth 4 ...).

So if you install a 6235, you'll have two bluetooth devices : the intel and the broadcom ...

A 6205 seems to be a better option for me :encouragement:

Thanks for pointing that out. It makes better sense. Somehow I thought the Broadcom bluetooth chipset was integrated on the same package as the 2200n. Guess I should of read up more on how everything was integrated into the Y580 with the different devices and chipsets. On a separate note, has anyone been experiencing weird wifi issues with the 2200n and the Windows 8 enterprise trial version? I have the latest 15.5 intel drivers and sometimes when it comes out of hibernation, it won't allow it to connect to any wifi APs and shows a stale list of available APs without refreshing. Disable/enable the wifi seems to correct the issue. I'm thinking either driver related or some Windows 8 bug.

1 person likes this

Do you really think that Lenovo could have created a special 2200N version with a broadcom chipset integrated ?

I'll try to remove the wifi card tomorrow just to be sure.

I don't have this problem on W8 RTM.

You are right. My bad. It's a separate module. It's a BCM920702 with a separate connector on the motherboard. I found the reference in the Y480/Y580 Hardware Maintenance Manual found here: http://consumerdl.lenovo.com.cn/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User's%20guides%20and%20manuals/Y480Y580/Lenovo%20Y480&Y580%20Hardware%20Maintenance%20Manual%20V1.0.pdf

1 person likes this

Ok, I checked this morning by removing the wireless card : the bluetooth is still working !

So the only remaining problem for me is the wifi-whitelist ...

If it could be removed, it would be awsome :orange:

How big of a problem should it be to install a wifi card that has bluetooth on it? Couldn't you just simply disable the Broadcom chip or the Bluetooth feature on the wifi card?

Another thing I noticed is that the Broadcom chip is connected via the USB bus. I find that kinda weird, shouldn't it be going through the PCI bus if it's soldered onto the motherboard? (at least, I'm assuming it's soldered on).

Ok, I checked this morning by removing the wireless card : the bluetooth is still working !

So the only remaining problem for me is the wifi-whitelist ...

If it could be removed, it would be awsome :orange:

You don't need to remove the wireless card to see the bluetooh module to work..

just go to the stock bios and disable the wireless lan, that it..

Alright, got a version here which should allow other wlan / wwan cards as well. Have never looked into this before, but this should do the trick, else let me know.

It's a test, I need to know whether it works as intended or not, some people sometimes fail to see this point and just grab the file and I never hear anything back from them. That's why I set a password on the archive, if you want to test it let me know and I'll give you the pw, but I'll expect you to let me know whether it works or not. Sorry about this inconvenience, but I'm afraid it's needed.

Once confirmed to work I'll upload it to the frontpage, as the unlocked version without the whitelist tweak.

- confirmed to work, file moved to first post -

1 person likes this

would you be able to upload a version with a modified vbios just like the dells?

Hey svl7

what are the cards you added? any 5 ghz brand?

Also I running flat as to where is the trick to get the gig Atheros LAN on at boot, I have tried a lot of combination none work..

I need PXE lan up and running at boot.

I use acronis and paragon to back on network.

any ID????

Thanks

would you be able to upload a version with a modified vbios just like the dells?

Yeah, will do. Are you already able to overclock using software like MSI afterburner?

Hey svl7

what are the cards you added? any 5 ghz brand?

Also I running flat as to where is the trick to get the gig Atheros LAN on at boot, I have tried a lot of combination none work..

I need PXE lan up and running at boot.

I use acronis and paragon to back on network.

any ID????

Thanks

I didn't add anything, I removed the check.

Regarding PXE - no idea, that seems to be in the stock bios, so it should definitely work. Maybe another Lenovo user can help you out.

1 person likes this

svl7 - yea we can already overclock the GPU with afterburner :) a modded vbios would be awesome.. also just in case if anything goes wrong with this bios how can you recover the bios? say in the event of a corruption? I remember my old asus netbook you could put the bios on a USB drive and hold the power and esc keys and it would recover the bios from the USB drive. Any recovery methods for this laptop?

Recovery method should be similar to the way you mention, I don't know the key combo for this system, but all recent Insyde firmwares use this recovery.

Regarding the whitelist removal - @Martin de Regt told me that it works fine, no check anymore. Thanks for testing! :)

+ added to the first post.

Recovery method should be similar to the way you mention, I don't know the key combo for this system, but all recent Insyde firmwares use this recovery.

Regarding the whitelist removal - @Martin de Regt told me that it works fine, no check anymore. Thanks for testing! :)

+ added to the first post.

Great.. I will be looking for a good dual band pcie wireless card now...

as for my LAN at boot problem I got resolved by loading the proper driver..

as for WOL from total shutdown still a puzzle ?????

if anyone with this mod bios willing to try the right bios set up: >> lan cable in then plug the ac cord

the lan light next to the cable should blink. that my goal... BIOS puzzle ... hummmm.

Yeah, will do. Are you already able to overclock using software like MSI afterburner?

I have not tried MSI Afterburner yet unfortunately...

svl7-I tried to download the mod bios without the WLAN whitelist to try and was not allowed too. I'm wondering if you are still testing it and will you make it available to the rest of us? By the way great work in unlocking the bios!