svl7

Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

1430 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can't see the attachment here.

Thanks, fixed.

That right... there are menus that you should be careful with settings.

I will try to make more pics.. sometime today.

Great news :frog:

Thank you very much !

Do you think it will be possible to have a bios version that will remove the wifi-card whitelist system ?

I really need to install a dual band wifi card on my Y580 ...

1 person likes this

There's a wifi-whitelist in the bios? I need to look into this, could be removed, possibly.

That's lame they put a whitelist..I was looking forward to replacing my 2200n with a 6235

I don't think this is a good idea : there is already a bluetooth 4.0 broadcom chipset which is integrated (as the 2200n doesn't have bluetooth 4 ...).

So if you install a 6235, you'll have two bluetooth devices : the intel and the broadcom ...

A 6205 seems to be a better option for me :encouragement:

I don't think this is a good idea : there is already a bluetooth 4.0 broadcom chipset which is integrated (as the 2200n doesn't have bluetooth 4 ...).

So if you install a 6235, you'll have two bluetooth devices : the intel and the broadcom ...

A 6205 seems to be a better option for me :encouragement:

Thanks for pointing that out. It makes better sense. Somehow I thought the Broadcom bluetooth chipset was integrated on the same package as the 2200n. Guess I should of read up more on how everything was integrated into the Y580 with the different devices and chipsets. On a separate note, has anyone been experiencing weird wifi issues with the 2200n and the Windows 8 enterprise trial version? I have the latest 15.5 intel drivers and sometimes when it comes out of hibernation, it won't allow it to connect to any wifi APs and shows a stale list of available APs without refreshing. Disable/enable the wifi seems to correct the issue. I'm thinking either driver related or some Windows 8 bug.

1 person likes this

Do you really think that Lenovo could have created a special 2200N version with a broadcom chipset integrated ?

I'll try to remove the wifi card tomorrow just to be sure.

I don't have this problem on W8 RTM.

You are right. My bad. It's a separate module. It's a BCM920702 with a separate connector on the motherboard. I found the reference in the Y480/Y580 Hardware Maintenance Manual found here: http://consumerdl.lenovo.com.cn/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User's%20guides%20and%20manuals/Y480Y580/Lenovo%20Y480&Y580%20Hardware%20Maintenance%20Manual%20V1.0.pdf

1 person likes this

Ok, I checked this morning by removing the wireless card : the bluetooth is still working !

So the only remaining problem for me is the wifi-whitelist ...

If it could be removed, it would be awsome :orange:

How big of a problem should it be to install a wifi card that has bluetooth on it? Couldn't you just simply disable the Broadcom chip or the Bluetooth feature on the wifi card?

Another thing I noticed is that the Broadcom chip is connected via the USB bus. I find that kinda weird, shouldn't it be going through the PCI bus if it's soldered onto the motherboard? (at least, I'm assuming it's soldered on).

Ok, I checked this morning by removing the wireless card : the bluetooth is still working !

So the only remaining problem for me is the wifi-whitelist ...

If it could be removed, it would be awsome :orange:

You don't need to remove the wireless card to see the bluetooh module to work..

just go to the stock bios and disable the wireless lan, that it..

Alright, got a version here which should allow other wlan / wwan cards as well. Have never looked into this before, but this should do the trick, else let me know.

It's a test, I need to know whether it works as intended or not, some people sometimes fail to see this point and just grab the file and I never hear anything back from them. That's why I set a password on the archive, if you want to test it let me know and I'll give you the pw, but I'll expect you to let me know whether it works or not. Sorry about this inconvenience, but I'm afraid it's needed.

Once confirmed to work I'll upload it to the frontpage, as the unlocked version without the whitelist tweak.

- confirmed to work, file moved to first post -

1 person likes this

would you be able to upload a version with a modified vbios just like the dells?

Hey svl7

what are the cards you added? any 5 ghz brand?

Also I running flat as to where is the trick to get the gig Atheros LAN on at boot, I have tried a lot of combination none work..

I need PXE lan up and running at boot.

I use acronis and paragon to back on network.

any ID????

Thanks

would you be able to upload a version with a modified vbios just like the dells?

Yeah, will do. Are you already able to overclock using software like MSI afterburner?

Hey svl7

what are the cards you added? any 5 ghz brand?

Also I running flat as to where is the trick to get the gig Atheros LAN on at boot, I have tried a lot of combination none work..

I need PXE lan up and running at boot.

I use acronis and paragon to back on network.

any ID????

Thanks

I didn't add anything, I removed the check.

Regarding PXE - no idea, that seems to be in the stock bios, so it should definitely work. Maybe another Lenovo user can help you out.

1 person likes this

svl7 - yea we can already overclock the GPU with afterburner :) a modded vbios would be awesome.. also just in case if anything goes wrong with this bios how can you recover the bios? say in the event of a corruption? I remember my old asus netbook you could put the bios on a USB drive and hold the power and esc keys and it would recover the bios from the USB drive. Any recovery methods for this laptop?

Recovery method should be similar to the way you mention, I don't know the key combo for this system, but all recent Insyde firmwares use this recovery.

Regarding the whitelist removal - @Martin de Regt told me that it works fine, no check anymore. Thanks for testing! :)

+ added to the first post.

Recovery method should be similar to the way you mention, I don't know the key combo for this system, but all recent Insyde firmwares use this recovery.

Regarding the whitelist removal - @Martin de Regt told me that it works fine, no check anymore. Thanks for testing! :)

+ added to the first post.

Great.. I will be looking for a good dual band pcie wireless card now...

as for my LAN at boot problem I got resolved by loading the proper driver..

as for WOL from total shutdown still a puzzle ?????

if anyone with this mod bios willing to try the right bios set up: >> lan cable in then plug the ac cord

the lan light next to the cable should blink. that my goal... BIOS puzzle ... hummmm.

Yeah, will do. Are you already able to overclock using software like MSI afterburner?

I have not tried MSI Afterburner yet unfortunately...

svl7-I tried to download the mod bios without the WLAN whitelist to try and was not allowed too. I'm wondering if you are still testing it and will you make it available to the rest of us? By the way great work in unlocking the bios!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• [BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock
      By Prema
      Prema Mod™ BIOS & vBIOS

Make sure to select the correct version for your model and follow the included "README" text file!
      Use the reset & recovery instructions in case of any problems.

You can now also purchase your Notebook directly with Prema Mod from one of our Partner Shops and receive Mods & updates ahead of the public!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Password for all files: premamod.com or biosmods.wordpress.com
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      All my mods are DONATIONWARE and for your personal use only!

THX & ENJOY! 

P-SERIES (v)BIOS >>> SECOND POST <<<
      W-SERIES (v)BIOS >>> THIRD POST <<<
      MXM vBIOS & MORE >>> FORTH POST <<<

• M17xR4 Bricked Bios, 660m to 780m
      By sukimu
      Hello fellow Aliens,
      My specs:
      Alienware M17xR4 got it back in Dec 2011 (Dell decided to upgrade my M17xR3 that crapped out on me) 
      Intel Core i7 3940XM
      Upgraded from 660m to 780m
      16GB Samsung 1600 RAM
      2 500GB Samsung SSD in Raid 0 ( i know sue me) 
      This will be a little guide with my journey of upgrading my dedicated GTX and CPU.
      Eagle vision activated and started the hunt on eBay for something that would not leave my bank with a massive dent. All i wanted to do is breathe more life into this monster that i have grown way too attached to. A quick search revealed people want way too much for their hard ware . How ever i started making offers and messaging people to negotiate a better price. I think it took me two days before i found a nice 3940XM listed for 350$. Messaged the dude and surely he replied with 200$ is a no go . But i can do 300$ . I had to come back with 280$ and to make the story short he accepted . Put my 3610QM after looking up on eBay they were going for 80$ give or take. So i listed it for 60$ with 4$ shipping . I got an E-mail from eBay; congrats on your listing...and your item sold . I did not want any negative feedback, so i removed the CPU wiped the thermal paste and decided to be with out my baby () until the 3940XM () arrived  ( which took 3 days). That package was like a  in my arms being delivered to its rightful owner. Reading all the replies on the offers i had made on 680m and 780m listings. From hell no to sorry you are crazy, there was a fellow that shared with me that the money is not a priority and his new 980m made him so happy he would sell his 780m for 300$ . Naturally i offered 280$ with paypal invoice = no eBay seller fees. What you know he accepted!!!!
      Listed my 660m for sale and till this day it is still there . I dont want to share my agony with you, waiting for a seven business day delivery by UPS ground , so lets fast forward to when i got the 780m and installing it. Seller advised i would need a 100W heat sink, which my poor 660m oddly had. So 780m is installed and a dual boot of Win10 and Win7 in order to see which Win the 780 preferred. Windows recognized the new hardware, so did the Bios, so i went to www.Nvidia.com and downloaded the latest drivers . The installer kept on saying no compatible hardware was found so that drove me . It was not until i googled " M17xR4 780m upgrade that i found out the 780m is not compatible the "Legal way" and a INF file modification was in place to get the drivers installed. Again googled M17xR4 780m upgrade drivers, and i found numerous of people crying for help as well. I thought to my self ( i will never see this work today, better try this in the morning, but before i went to sleep i needed some wisdom of a fellow Alien to come to my aid. A guy that goes by tanzmeister replied and guided me. Here is a copy paste for yas.

These are the links you should check in order to install drivers properly:

Flashing vBios:
      1- Guide:
      http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia-video-cards/2166-[guide]-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html
      2 - vBios for the 780m
      https://www.techinferno.com/index.p...king-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks/

Modded drivers:
      http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...od-for-780m-880m-and-980m-mobile-gpus.767644/

I am not actually sure these drivers are modded... They might just be "Enhanced". 
      So check out this link as well to learn how to mod drivers yourself (really not that hard)
      https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/4055-guide-modding-nvidia-oem-inf-files/

To install a modded driver you need to restart Windows with DSE disabled (driver signature). Please google this to find how to do it.

I personally haven't tried MrFox's drivers but I read they yield fantastic results on Kepler GPU's (780m included) so you can give these a try.

Everything worked!!!! Red Alert 2 and Age of Empires 2 were running!!!! Joking aside i launched Gta v and The witcher 3 which ran at a decent 30+ FPS. Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1 and 2 i could play at Ultra. I was genuinely happy with my rig.
      Until today, for some reason i wanted to try an unlocked Bios. I was on A13, looked up Drivers on Dell's website and downloaded A12, A11, A10 and A05.
      Did you guess what i did next? I flashed them all one by one, A12 first which was a sucess, A11 which also yielded good results. A10 finished flashing and instead of restarting my Alienware decided to take a nap. 
      Turn it on, and what i feared has happened. I HAD BRICKED MY BIOS!!!!  Pulled my crappy Pentium laptop and googled M17xR4 bricked Bios.
      Thank the merciful lord of forgiveness, of light, of hope, of all that is great. I had stumbles on T|I:

Following that i Blindly flashed A05 through recovery (which you really do not know what the hell is going on, Put the file on a flash drive, insert it in eSata. Shut down and remove both battery and AC adapter. Hold the END button on your keyboard and plug in your AC-adapter. Fans turn on 100% All the lights where showing, but then it started beeping and i had to go to work in 30 mins so i left it and proceeded to a warm shower. Finishing up and coming back to the room it was still beeping so i unplugged the AC-adapter reinserted the battery and AC-adapter. Pressed the  and voila my tears were sucked back in.
      Thank you for reading, i know i am not much of a writer, but i just wanted to share my journey if someone was thinking of doing the 780m upgrade.

• M17x R3 unlocked BIOS help
      By upsidedown
      Hi guys
      So i think im going to run into an issue and may need some help

I currently have a M17xr3-3D with a 580m.. Which died its the 3rd one, which is in need of an upgrade anyway.

So i'm planning on buying a 780m which i will need an unlocked bios for.
      Only problem is i believe i need to access the bios to get the new card working

As i've seen this in the sellers info 
      installing their card in a M17x R2 R3
                         1. Flash bios with (R2) A10  or (R3) A12 , unlocked Bios
                                           2. a)  Disable onboard HD audio   (/R3 Disable onboard grahpic card <- this don't apply to me as i have the 120hz 3d)
      Disable IDT GPU in advanced settings    //R3 change display model from SG to PDG                                                                   3. Install Card
                                                                        4. Install this driver with the .ini mod (easy):    Is there anyway i can get my hand on a bios with those settings preconfigured so i have blind flash? otherwise im just going to keep getting beeps?    
    • m18xR1 New 105 UNLOCKED bios, with v11.2, 11.6, 12.9.0 OpRom with RAID0 TRIM SUPPORT!!!
      By Swick1981
      Hey Everyone,
      Well, I was FINALLY able to MOD a fully UNLOCKED A05 Bios for the m18x R1. 
      I created several BIOS's that have the following Intel Raid OpRom v10.5, 11.2, 11.6, 12.9, 13.5.  I'm told that 12.9.0 is the BEST version to use with our m18xR1.  Also, these ROMS are modded to give TRIM on a RAID0 system!  I've tested it and can confirm it does work!
      I also have an intel ME Firmware upgrade that you can do, as well, but I only sugest people that know what they are doing use it.  Only because, for some reason, if you flash the ME firmware, then the Bios, there is a problem and you can brick your ME Firmware.  (You'd need a new motherboard).  It locks your firmware. 
      Anyway, if you flash the bios that you want, and not even deal with upgrading the ME, then you're fine.  But, if you do the ME firmware upgrade like I did, if you flash and bios's, you will need to downgrade the FW, before any BIOS flashing...  (I THINK).
      In any case, you may just want to stick with the BIOS upgrade, as this will give you TRIM in RAID0 support (confirmed with trimtool).
      If interested, please let me know!
      Thanks,
      Swick
    • vBIOS flash problem Nvidia
      By Razayan
      Hey guys!

Earlier this week I upgrade my laptop with a new network card. I bought a Intel WiFi AC 7260 for my Lenovo Y510p.
      So most of you probably know, Lenovo's BIOS has a whitelist. So I flashed the BIOS so that I could use the new network card. This happened without any problems, I installed the network card and booted my laptop. Drivers worked the moment I logged in and connecting to a network was easy and fast. Checked speedtest.net for the up and down speeds, perfect!

There is a problem I encounterd though, it has nothing to do with my BIOS (I think) or my new network card. It has something to do with my GPU's.
      I run an SLI configuration of 2 x Nvidia GeForce GT755m. (one main, one ultrabay)

I was following a guide made by @svl7 about flashing the BIOS. After the part of flashing the BIOS there was something about flashing the vBIOS too, because if you are running 2 GPU's it was not going to work properly. When flashing the vBIOS I encountered the problem.

As explained by the guide, I used NVflash to flash vBIOS, when using the command "nvflash -a" to view adapters and their "index" they were on "0" and "1". I tried to flash both of them, "1" flashed easily without any problems, "0" did not flash at all.
      Now the error displayed was: "ERROR: GPU NOT DETECTED."

Has anyone got an idea of how to fix this? I'm not able to flash one of the GPU's. If I play a videogame on my laptop, every now and then (intervals of 1-5 minutes) my screen goes black, audio stutters and comes back to normal after a few seconds.

Hope you guys can help me out! If there's any info you need let me know and I'll edit the post!