EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
svl7

Information about BIOS updates A07/A08 and higher for M14xR2, M17xR4 & M18xR2

I found a new way to flash the bios, it worked for my Asus Ultrabook, it might work as well for the AW line. If done properly it's as safe as a normal bios update, unlike the recovery procedure. If you're interested let me know, it would require you to dump some files for me so that I can check whether it should work.
@svl7 - did this new way work for the M18x R2 and M17x R4? I may have an M18x R2 mobo on the way soon and want to know if there is a reliable way I can flash an unlocked BIOS with the new RST OROM if it comes from Alienware with A08 firmware. (I am hoping it has an older version, but that's not how my luck usually runs, LOL.)

Nope, but I have another idea... though no idea whether it will work. But it's easy to test, and at least the test is harmless.

OK, well, if the mobo purchase works out like I hope it will, I will give you a shout by G-Talk or PM and we will test your theory. :)

Sure, cool! I even have another idea, but that's rather unlikely to work I think... though I haven't really researched it thoroughly so far since I can't test it anyways.

This was posted in another thread, but I think it might be equally relevant here.

There's A08 in the first post... but you I recommend A03 since else it will be difficult to switch back to anything else (which is modified). Read the links in the first post for the reasons.
I recommend that, too. Here's a nice example of how special UEFI, secure boot and all of this new hardware/firmware based signature and certificate "security" feces really is...

XPS8500 Reinstalling Windows8 pro on unformatted new hdd from Dell - Windows 8 - Software & Operating Systems - Dell Community

No need to worry about such idiocy with A03.

Hello everyone

I've just registered to this forum.

My bad english wont stop me from chasing for performance.

So I got me a AW M17x R4.

svl7: It already has A10 official BIOS. Is it possible I can take part in your "modified BIOS project"?

Greetings

I think so, even though another user here who had A10 factory installed reported some issues... You can give it a try anyway, you need to downgrade to stock A05 by using the USB recovery method and then you can flash the modified version using the provided tools. If it doesn't work, let me know.

svl7: Thank you, I'll give it a try. Could you please provide me with the information as what kind of issues should I expect? I've been searching for this information throughout the forum, but couldn't find none.

My first post here and i am having one hell of a time with my Mxr17 and i am thinking a modified bios would do the trick if it would let me turn off Switchable graphics. i have the A09 bios.

Is there is any other way to turn off switchable graphics? if not i guess its the "downgrade to stock A05 by using the USB recovery method and then you can flash the modified version using the provided tools" method... But i am scared reading stories about bricking laptops

Does unlocking the bios allow the ability to password protect the boot selection menu? or disable the ability to use usb or cd from the boot select menu? Thanks!

M17x R4 A11

My M14x R2 is only a week old and now has official A12 bios. It did come with A11 and I updated it as a matter of course when reformatting the HDD and installing Win 8.

I've been trying to overclock all day usinf MSI Afterburner and can only get the Memory Clock to increase, the Core Clock is locked.

I found this forum via Google and realised that the vBios is locked and I need a modded Bios.

Am I stuffed now? Do I need to wait for a modded A12?

Can I downgrade to A04 (the only official Bios I can find below A08)? If so, how?

Sorry for the noob questions but it is my first day at Alienware overclocking.

Thanks

I honestly like windows 8 not to mention the BIOS updates fix problems and improve performance (I forget) but one such update actually decreased POST time significantly.

hm, strange... on official web there is last bios A12 for AW however after click on[FONT=Trebuchet MS]r pevious versions there is available A13 with this [/FONT]improvements

-[FONT=Museo]This package provides the Dell System BIOS update and is supported on Alienware M17XR4 for Windows 8.1 and DOS Operating Systems.[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Dell Alienware M17R4x44 BIOS A13[/FONT]
Release Date: 10/9/2013
Importance: Recommended
Version: A13 See Previous Versions

svl7, do you plan to unlock also this A13 bios ?

Sure, cool! I even have another idea, but that's rather unlikely to work I think... though I haven't really researched it thoroughly so far since I can't test it anyways.

Hello , brother is there any way to over clock a 3610 am without bios flashing , I have a11 bios on my laptop ,

And even if I manage to get a unlocked bios will I get over clocking options like level 123 overrclocking options which are there with xm cpus

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

My M18X-R2 came with Bios A11 which I stupidly updated to A12, has anyone figured out yet if I can downgrade to use the unlocked Bios ?

I am rather new at all this stuff so please forgive my stupidity :P

Has anyone managed to successfully downgrade an Alienware M18r2 A12 to an unlocked bios? IF so, please share on how this is done. Thanks.

I have installed A12. Haven't noticed anything while on windows 8.1. I have downgraded using dell's utility to A11. Now I will go to A10 and later flash A10 unlocked. I want to push my 3720 a bit.

As somebody who doesn't understand the bios completely, features such as hyper threading, over clocking, and turbo boosts are accessed here right? I was under the impression that software was needed to adjust things like turbo boost and over clocking.

As somebody who doesn't understand the bios completely, features such as hyper threading, over clocking, and turbo boosts are accessed here right? I was under the impression that software was needed to adjust things like turbo boost and over clocking.

I'm quite curious if there is any point in upgrading to the newest bios for the CPU fixes. I was told by a friend that it's worth it for the security, but I'm wondering if it would effect business' more than individuals? 

While it's perfectly true that not everyone is able to hear such high pitch noises, and I SO wish I was one of them, true also that for those who hear them, not only it is a pain in our... head, but worse, it can actually lead ot headaches, which I was getting sometimes before I found how to get rid of the transistor on noise.

sorry double ppst