AMD 7970M Crossfire + Catalyst 12.9 Beta + Borderlands 2 = Texture Flickering?

Brian

• Founder

Anyone else get random flickering in Borderlands 2 with the 7970M Crossfire setup? I'm using the latest 12.9 Catalyst + CAP 1 and sometimes I get massive texture flickering depending on where I'm standing. I'm not sure if its due to defective cards or the AMD drivers. Here's a video of what I see:

• Founder
No flickering with the same drivers on mine

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I experienced flickering on my external tv screen whilst gaming, but not on the internal screen. weird thing.

Strange, so I switched to catalyst 12.8 and 12.9 cap 1 and haven't seen it again but that doesn't mean it's resolved. I still get the flickering in planetside 2 opening menu. I'll keep testing Borderlands 2.

Edit: So another thing I noticed is that with Catalyst 12.8, the performance is cut in half vs 12.9. So while I haven't been able to resolve the flickering, the fps is not acceptable. @StamatisX are you using vsync with the game?

Sent from my GT-N7000

• Founder

For those of you with 7970's, if you run GPU Shark, is the VDDC for the second performance state identical for both cards? Mine are not and I believe that may be part of the cause.

For those of you with 7970's, if you run GPU Shark, is the VDDC for the second performance state identical for both cards? Mine are not and I believe that may be part of the cause.

Late tonight ill load this game and try for you Brian. Ill see if there is flicker and ill check gpu shark for you. I have 12.9 beta but its 7900mod one with added high quality AF, Geometry Instancing option and power savings said to be disabled and based on a conversation I had with Brian and checking this just means apparently Ulps is predisabled all the time on this driver which i checked via my systems registry.

Edit:

I watched vid and I get that same type of occurrence in Skyrim random popping textures/flicker. (not the old shadowing issue)

ill check borderlands tonigt

Caps 12.9 1 also btw

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

see here for some tips on Borderlands 2 options

Borderlands 2 PC Tweaks, Errors, Crashes, Freezes and FPS Fixes | SegmentNext

post-34-14494993776311_thumb.png

those are how I have it configured right no. no vsync btw since it was mentioned

i had better luck in what is working for me with this driver http://forum.techinferno.com/amd/1994-%5Bmobile-desktop%5D-amd-catalyst-12-8-whql.html#post27704

if switching to 12.8 helped stop prob but slower performance... maybe this one here will have better performance but no flicker. This is the driver I am on I played for awhile and now I need some ZZZ's

@Brian maybe if after all the above try flashing full stock bios or even try flashing those back to Dell vbios again??? Are you cards Clevo or Dell @StamatisX since I am on Dell and Brian on Clevo?

post-34-14494993773764_thumb.png

post-34-14494993774086_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494993774812_thumb.jpg

post-34-1449499377558_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Aww, what a shame. I was going to order a set of the 7970s and swap them with the 680ms, because I thought AMD got the drivers right this time around :(. I hate having to adjust 1500 settings and find the right driver just to play a game. But my, do I love the clock speeds on the AMDs <3.

Aww, what a shame. I was going to order a set of the 7970s and swap them with the 680ms, because I thought AMD got the drivers right this time around :(. I hate having to adjust 1500 settings and find the right driver just to play a game. But my, do I love the clock speeds on the AMDs <3.

I d rather have the 680m's like you have then the two 7970m's i have. The game works on mine and StamatisX's so its not all instances of this in this case.

@marh - you're better off sticking with what you have, as it is a superior product. Having been around the block with 7970M, the sparkle of the higher core and memory clock speeds fades to black very quickly in the shadow of performance and functionality issues... now, add crappy drivers to the mix. The higher clock speeds on the 7970M are of limited value because they generally do not equate to better performance. Under most conditions, the GTX 680M outperforms 7970M at lower core and memory clock speeds.

@marh - you're better off sticking with what you have, as it is a superior product. Having been around the block with 7970M, the sparkle of the higher core and memory clock speeds fades to black very quickly in the shadow of performance and functionality issues... now, add crappy drivers to the mix. The higher clock speeds on the 7970M are of limited value because they generally do not equate to better performance. Under most conditions, the GTX 680M outperforms 7970M at lower core and memory clock speeds.

Absolutely completely true. Even not having used 680m i know this holds true.