Memory for M18x R2

ht_addict

I just traded for a M18x R2. Right now it has generic 1600(CL11). Would I notice a difference if i went with Kingston HyperX 1600(CL9) or 1866(CL11)?

Technically both of those would provide a improvement over your current ram. But is it worth the cost over already owning those chips? Hard to say ad depends if you dont mind paying more for something not that much faster. Overall in most apps and games you wont see much of a difference unless you always use the system for rendering or major long term work loads and in that case yes the performance of those upgrades will finish work faster over a hour plus of work.

The gpu depends less on Ram than an Intel IGP... If you use Intel IGP often there actually will be vast improvements using faster ram. This is because the Intel IGP depends completely on your system ram to be shared with the IGP.

In most cases lower speed and lower latency is faster in ram than higher speed but higher latency. In this case though I do believe the hyperx would be faster even at Cl11 :)

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

Can memory be overclocked in the Bios of the M18x? In the M17 I would change the setting but nothing would happen.

In most cases it acts the same but some plug and play modules have been knkwn to be unlocked in a sense amd allow those options by xmp profile to take effect... Sometimes the values can differ slightly once you boot to windows.

Some ram can be programmed by Thaiphoon Burner or another one i forget. Advanced users could probably find a way to use a Hexeditor to do the editing and flash ram in windows to custom values as I learned from a discussion with SVL7. You can change only timings and stick with the speeds available in your ram if its plug and play in the bios. The program Intel XTU can change a few of those values too on some.

If one actually wants to utilize ram speeds on a particular module not already programmed into the chips SPD profile than you will need to utilize one of the methods like Thaiphoon Burner.

I hope that answers your question.

Example of some ram behavior... I have Kinston 1600Mhz XMP based only stock 1333MHz and they cannot be set via our bios to anything other than how it came unless i was to flash them instead.

If you plan to overclock or adjust some in the bios than i suggest be sure the ram you select is plug and play and even better id check to see if others got the particular model you choose to adjust in that way.

how much ram do you have in your m18xr2? if you have just 8gb, upgrading to the faster 1866 might be more worth your while. if your going from 1600(C11) to 1600(C9) the difference is nothing you can see.

Much agreed sir. Perhaps guys buy Kingston 2133Mhz plug and play 1.5v CL12 its barely $70 for 2 sticks at 4gb for a total of 8gb. Then there would be even bigger increase in Performance.

This ram seems to run at 13 on the R1.

All my custom profiles from thaiphoon burner are set at x amount and once i boot to windows the actually latency is either same or up to one higher than what is set. So when i program 12-12-12 if the decimal measurement of that in the timing table editor is close enough to 13 it will boot 13in windows and all the rest for some reason in our M18xR1 as you mention happens on your Kingston 2133. Try rolling each of the first timings by one adjustment down and it might just by that boot windows at the normal Kingston Cl12 timing. Look at my 10-10-10-27 timing and you'll see its actually a form of 9-9-9-26 in thaiphoon burner but loads 10-10-10-27 on boot. Email me John about what you tried and we can both see how far we can get :)

I'm on Kingston HyperX @ 1866. You'd be better off going with the 1600mhz model, because Alienwares maximum processor transfer speed with RAM is 1600mhz. That's the hardware limit, so it won't go any faster than that.

you would be faster, as the bak refresh time is faster with the kingston at cas 9

if you want some manual timings that would work, for the kingston that are better then cas 9, im gerat with memory timings, and can give you a very general guideline, and few rules of thumb to follow. I run mine at cas 8 no issues, and with 16GB I get a throughput of like 28000mb/s to like 33000mb/s

but, I also bought cheap RAM, from kingston, loaded it in anouther laptop before hand, played aorund with its timings via a spdtable editor and created my own profile on it.

I just traded for a M18x R2. Right now it has generic 1600(CL11). Would I notice a difference if i went with Kingston HyperX 1600(CL9) or 1866(CL11)?
  • Thumbs Up 1

you would be faster, as the bak refresh time is faster with the kingston at cas 9

if you want some manual timings that would work, for the kingston that are better then cas 9, im gerat with memory timings, and can give you a very general guideline, and few rules of thumb to follow. I run mine at cas 8 no issues, and with 16GB I get a throughput of like 28000mb/s to like 33000mb/s

but, I also bought cheap RAM, from kingston, loaded it in anouther laptop before hand, played aorund with its timings via a spdtable editor and created my own profile on it.

Hell ya bro thats what me and Johnkss do :) its fun and you feel good when you get some nice gains for free.

What did you use to test that showed you that ram through put id like to check mine if its something i havent used.

i will get my m18x soon and i want to upgrade the 6gb ram that came with it so i wanted to know ,will the corsair 1600mhz 2X8gb work fine with it and will it work @1600mhz or 1333mhz like the 6gb that came with the laptop ?

How about 1600(CL9) vs 1866(CL10)

I have corsair vengeance and hyperx cl9 1600Mhz and there was a clear and noticeable advantage the Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz 10-10-10-27 had over the 1600 cl9. If it was maybe cl 11-12 on the 1866mhz then there may be little to no difference and the later cl12 may have lower performance than 1600Mhz CL9. Hope this helps

i will get my m18x soon and i want to upgrade the 6gb ram that came with it so i wanted to know ,will the corsair 1600mhz 2X8gb work fine with it and will it work @1600mhz or 1333mhz like the 6gb that came with the laptop ?

Very simply it will just work as designed. Make sure to not use the original ram or it will run at the lowest ram speed of the lowest speed ram installed in your system at any one given moment.

So yes installing 2 sticks that are 8gb each and run at 1600mhz will run 1600mhz dual channel for a total of 16gb in your system. Then you can get 32gb total if you later buy a second set. Just leave the ram setting in bios to auto for the speed and do not ovveride voltage leave it set as default. This is all true be it for the M18xR1 or M18xR2.

Another memory addition question.. New M18x R2 factory installed with 8192MB (2x4096) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel, want to bring it up to 16GB for VM and linux pissing about.

I was looking at getting 2 of these, Kingston KVR16S11/4, any obvious problems with them ? Will they play nicely with the existing memory ?

Stephen

Another memory addition question.. New M18x R2 factory installed with 8192MB (2x4096) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel, want to bring it up to 16GB for VM and linux pissing about.

I was looking at getting 2 of these, Kingston KVR16S11/4, any obvious problems with them ? Will they play nicely with the existing memory ?

Stephen

Those will be no problem and should run 16gb 1600mhz after install. But it will use the lowest ram latency between the two pair. If one set is 9-9-9-27 and this set is 11-11-11 both will run 11-11-11 latencies once booted into an OS. Shouldn't be a big difference if the other one has a better latency.