how do you know when your HDD is going or not?

Jackscagnetti

Try one of the Disk Utilities like SeaTools and check the S.M.A.R.T status. Also you can try running all the long diagnostic tests overnight, I think it includes a complete sector scan. Bear in mind that this is going to give your drive a good workout so in the off chance it is faulty I would back up anything you need before running the tests. I'm not sure if it can detect early signs of mechanical failure though, I think the tests are more focused on the platters.

Yeah much agreed asdume if its not the plain hdd click from moving back and forth on platter that its a physical problem. I have one in that condition and no telling when it will go. Upon attaching to my comp random do i get clicking. So backup all important data and i suggest not even using it till you backed up whats important. As mentioned a hard drive scan can actually cause the physical problem to fully break.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not really following either, or you trying to figure out whether its ''on''? Like other have said before me mechanical drives have moving parts, thus are audible. An ssd however aint. If that's the case use a program like Hdtune.

Noisy might not be a physical problem.

Its possible that the drive has just got too fagmented and so the drive is having to read all over the place to read the files, which results in a lot of noise.

Also check your case, there isn't anything that is making it vibrate. Try pushing down fairly hard on the top of the case and see if the noise returns to a normal level.

• 1 month later...

Back up everything you need. Then Defrag, then use DBAN. Dban will format it and wipe all the information, if it gives you any error during the process and halts, that means there is a physical problem, if it formats and wipes the hard drive clean, the hard drive is okay.

Keep in mind that if the HD is making noise, its also possible that there's some power savings active so the HD might be turning on and off (for example, if its a secondary drive); but that's probably not happening if it clicks also during file transfer. In this case you can check this option:

upXGG.png

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to share a very recent encounter with a failing hard drive. The drive was being unresponsive for 30 seconds or so, then it would resume whatever it was doing. Some files were then removed which freed up space and made it seem stable again. If you see a symptom like this, quickly backup all your data before its too late.

• 2 months later...

I had a hard drive which randomly started to load really slow. It also failed a few SMART tests, no idea what caused it. There's no weird noises or anything from it, nor has it been dropped, and was relatively recent, less than a year.