BIOS A08 popped up on Dells driver site, grab it here: Drivers and Downloads | Dell [united States]

No change log included... damn it, seriously.

Any noticeable changes? Let us know.

If you can't download from Dell, grab the attachement. :)

EDIT: Note that you might not be able to easily downgrade to a version which predates A08.

EDIT 2: A09 is not on the Dell site, but file is nowhere to be found... weird. You might want to hold off with updating until they release A09.

M14x_R2 - BIOS A08.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

BIOS A08 popped up on Dells driver site, grab it here: Drivers and Downloads | Dell [united States]

Thanks for this. Any chance of modding this for the unlocked vbios as you did for a03 please. Of course when you get the time. Many thanks for your hard work

A09 is now on the Dell site... can't download it. If anyone is able to grab the file, let me know.

I can't download it either. I think I will wait for a09. If they came out with it a day after a08, there might be something really wrong with a08.

EDIT: Note that you might not be able to easily downgrade to a version which predates A08.

EDIT 2: A09 is not on the Dell site, but file is nowhere to be found... weird. You might want to hold off with updating until they release A09.

I was able to download A09 last night. It should be working now. Any chance we can please get A09 modified?

please modify a09 as I cant downgrade now to the unlock a03 vbios !!! argghh

Dude, I pointed out last week that the A08 firmware won't permit a downgrade to anything earlier including stock A04. You're stuck on stock A09 until someone figures out how to get around the digital signature check. Unlocking the firmware won't make any difference if the EFI refused to accept the installation.

Dude, I pointed out last week that the A08 firmware won't permit a downgrade to anything earlier including stock A04. You're stuck on stock A09 until someone figures out how to get around the digital signature check. Unlocking the firmware won't make any difference if the EFI refused to accept the installation.

ahh I know you said it I just downloaded from dell website and didn't read your post. Dam it!!! Do you think that it will be able to be modded and the digital signature check bypassed in the future as I lost around 200mhz boost now with the default vbios. Pain in the arse but my fault!!

Impossible to say until someone analyzes the security check performed by the installer. If it's the installer then that check can be bypassed with a patched executable and the custom firmware flashed to the system. If it is the EFI then it might be easy or it might be impossible depending on precisely what the EFI is checking/validating. My expectation is that it is something in the EFI. This seems to be related to the UEFI Secure Boot feature which requires valid digital signatures for every step of the boot sequence.

so basically I could be stuffed right?

Maybe.

so basically dell are going to be doing this with all there alienware laptops? Surely someone can work this out otherwise no more overclocking alienware laptops right?

It's part of Microsoft's requirements for Windows 8 certification. If the manufacturer wants the Windows 8 certification then it must ship with UEFI Secure Boot enabled. This is going to happen across Dell's entire product line, not just the Alienware kit.

The A08 firmware adds the Secure Boot option, disabled by default because Windows 7 does not use Secure Boot. But like I just said, nobody is going to be working around anything until the security check is identified.