6970m driver problem

I can't figure out how to get my 6970 working properly with Windows 7 64. It works fine with the mobile Catalyst drivers on the Dell vBIOS, but won't shutdown, sleep, go to battery etc without crashing. When I flash to the Clevo vBIOS, I get serious screen issues when the Windows desktop loads, but it will shutdown and sleep properly. I attached a screenshot of the desktop. I've tried quite a few versions of the Catalyst driver with no change. When I try to install the Clevo or Dell driver, the Catalyst installer just skips installing the driver for the video, and if I manually try to force it to install from the inf it says it can't install because of wrong version of Windows.

I have tried setting the clocks and voltages in the vBIOS so that they are the same value to make sure there isn't an issue there. The only other difference I notice is that when I pull up the Dell vBIOS in the RBE it says it can't find information about overdrive.

I'm not sure what to do to fix it. I either need to modify the Dell vBIOS where success is unlikely, or figure out why the AMD driver doesn't like the Clevo vBIOS. Anyone know what is going on here? Thanks in advance. post-5144-14494993680033_thumb.png

Who makes that 6970m? The Dell vbios sounds better than the screen corruption in clevo bios. I think load original oem vbios and also latest oem driver. Test and try to get it working if youbget it working on oem driver and vbios then attempt to use latest drivers. Is there issues on oem driver or vbios? If so there could be gpu damage!?

Sent from my Paranoid Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint using Tapatalk 2 Jelly Bean flavor included

Flashing or saving your vbios is actually best and safest from DOS. A little birdy told me that :) (SVL7)

Sent from my Paranoid Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint using Tapatalk 2 Jelly Bean flavor included

Well part of the problem is I can't get the OEM driver to load. It's a Dell card, but when I try installing either the M18x or M17xR4 drivers the install fails with an error about wrong version of Windows. I had to try to manually install the driver to figure that out since the Catalyst installer just skips installing the video driver without saying anything.

Flashing or saving your vbios is actually best and safest from DOS. A little birdy told me that :) (SVL7)

Yeah, that's how I've been doing it. I was pushing the voltages last night to see how low I could get them and I bricked the card anyway. I have to pull it and in-system program it. Your right the GPU could have a problem; that's kind of what I suspect, this is the card with the out-of-tolerance voltage regulator.

@Michael - It's an R1 with an R2 motherboard and 840QM.

The wierd thing is the Dell vBIOS seems to only have an issue with turning the screen on and off, and going to battery. It seems like ACPI or something. I wonder if you could somehow disable the card's ACPI functions to get it to shutdown properly.

I can't wait until I can get 7970ms.

• Founder

Seems like the card is defective. With an M17x r2 board it should work fine, especially with the latest driver and system bios.

Back when we had similar problems with the 5870m, the only solution was a new vbios release from Dell.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Seems like the card is defective. With an M17x r2 board it should work fine, especially with the latest driver and system bios.

Back when we had similar problems with the 5870m, the only solution was a new vbios release from Dell.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Unless reseating the card solves those types of errors this is probably the case as Brian said there may be physical damage on that gpu.

• Founder

Well if the 17x-R2 had issues with 5870s which required a vbios update by Dell I would say it's safe to assume that the same problem would arise with the 6970s but without the possibility of dell issuing a new vbios. Why are you guys thinking it's physical damage? Sounds to me like the same problem as before..

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

There's the possibility that a vbios could fix it I suppose. Another reason could be the system bios simply not made for 6970M since Dell only validated as far as 5870M for the M17x-R2. I think the OP would have better luck using a Clevo card.

It's hard to say if the card is defective or not, since the graphics part works properly on the Dell vBIOS. If you uninstall the video drivers while running the Dell vBIOS the computer shuts down fine. There is something wrong with the way the Dell vBIOS code and the Catalyst driver communicate that makes it hang. I've tried looking in the system logs for an error but haven't found anything.

My guess is the card is defective because one of the memory locations is corrupt. I'm guessing the Dell vBIOS doesn't use that corrupted location or maybe that location just contains LSBs, while the Clevo vBIOS uses that location for MSBs and thus produces the corrupt data. The last thing I was thinking about trying was boosting the memory voltage a little, or maybe reducing the memory clocks with RBE.

The dell one I posted here on my thread about the 6970m and the R1 motherboard. The Clevo vBIOS is the one I downloaded from here.

Regarding the Dell vBIOS: I figured out that if you have a USB memory device in one of the slots it will shut down, but it takes a few more seconds than normal. It will also go to sleep, but after a few seconds it wakes up on its own and says Windows did not restart properly. It still hangs if the screen goes off.