M15x & 6970m from MXM-upgrade

svl7

The way I installed the audio driver was:

Installed M17xR3 6970m driver.

Updated to the current amd driver.

Now that the graphics are set I removed the audio driver. Remember tick on "Delete the driver software for this device".

post-94-14494987850899_thumb.jpg

After that I used the device manager to update the driver from the dell package here:

C:\dell\drivers\R291070\Packages\Drivers\WDM\HDMI\W764a (the post editor doesn't show this space, which shouldn't be there -.- : "HDMI\ W764a")

Then restarted the pc and it worked.

Thats the same way I had to do with the 5870. For some reason it didn't want to install correctly through installer.

Edited by Strigae
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Finally I had some time testing my 6970m in a "real world environment" for this class of laptops.

I've noticed a few things.

First. It is likely to shutdown the system. Which is my main issue here.

Secondly the temperatures can get way high depending on the load. "way high" is of course my definition of it. It is well around the 85-90 celsius.

The shutdowns I think are because of the power draw. Atleast coupled with a 920xm (not even overclocked). Undervolting helps but does not eliminate the issue.

This was tested with Borderlands and Alien vs Predator (DX11) with screen resolution of 1080p and maxed settings, including shadows. I used the M17x power brick and going to try out the original M15x one later.

Tests:

- Stock (no vbios changes) - it will shutdown after about 10-20 min in either game.

- Undervolted to 1.0v from stock (gradually) - shutdown will appear but only in 3-4 hours long gaming sessions.

- Undervolted below 1.0v - the drivers will stop responding and restarting

From my knowledge it only happens with graphically intense games.

All 6970m versions (dell, sapphire, clevo). I read on notebookreview that benchmarking and overclocking could trigger this.

Any comments on this matter?

Hey Strigae, nice to see you again!

Hmmm, I haven't experienced such issues so far, but I haven't played a lot of games recently... ATM I have my 3d clocks at 0.95V and so far it seems to work.

I've also done a lot of benching and never had a shutdown because of the power, only because of driver crashes.

But I've really never experienced shutdowns while gaming so far... most testing I've done was just after I put the card in my system and I haven't noticed problems when testing the card with BO Zombie, some Crysis 2, Portal 2 and MoH. This was all on stock 3d voltage...

Hmm

I tried the original M15x psu a shortwhile yesterday. It doesn't have the issues when using stock vbios, so far.

Which one do you use? I hear people wanting to get themselves the M17x one.

I wouldn't recommend that for the Dell 6970m card.

If you have both psu's, maybe you can try it out with your card?

Edited by Strigae

Ok, that's very interesting. It has been reported that you can't use 240W just because you plug a 240W PSU in the M15x, but I'd expect at least the same performance.

Your config is very similar to my system, except for the 4GB additional RAM... how much power does a RAM stick need? Don't think this makes a huge difference... :)

When I had 5870, both psu's worked flawless. For some reason I'm thinking its the motherboard/mxm socket.

I remember when I first got the M15x it had GTX 260M and it would freeze occasionally. Heeh.

I got my M15x with the 260m as well... it started to freeze regularly after a while. Then I got the card replaced by Dell, one week without freezes and then it started again... Dell didn't want to replace the card again without examinig my system. I didn't want to send my system to Dell since I needed it, so I just bought a 5850m. No problems anymore since then, also no random freezes with the 6970m... so I think the freezes weren't caused by the MXM connector/mobo, but by the 260m.

Hmm, this seems fine. That's actually the vbios of the M17x r3.

I don't really know what's causing these shutdowns... my system works pretty fine. Though I haven't played games for a while now.

Your temps seem to be fine... Have you ever measured the approximate power draw of your system?

No I haven't as I'm never overclocking. :>

It's a lot closer to being stable compared to my first gaming session with this card.

Now I just need to test it with 150W + undervolted.

Since my tests roughly showed the following:

240W + stock = ~15m

240W + 1.0v = ~3-4h+

240W + 0.95v = freeze

150W + stock = ~3-4h+

150W + 1.0v = ???

150W + 0.95v = freeze

From that I estimate a stable system from the last combination. I can be wrong tho.

We will see.

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since somebody pass through here but I give it a try.

Hey Strigae,

It appears I have the same reboot problem as you right now.

I plan to buy a 240w psu to solve my power issues.

I must undervolt/clock my card to avoid those reboot too. Did you solve it ?

Thanks

hi svl7 :-)

It's been a while since somebody pass through here but I give it a try.

Hey Strigae,

It appears I have the same reboot problem as you right now.

I plan to buy a 240w psu to solve my power issues.

I must undervolt/clock my card to avoid those reboot too. Did you solve it ?

Thanks

hi svl7 :-)

Try this Krazar when you want to get someones attention so when they sign in you are sure they know you wanted to say something to them. Try @svl7 and @Strigae that should let them both know you mentioned them Krazar... its a forum feature.

• 2 weeks later...