Dell Inspiron 7720 650m GDDR5 modded vBIOS

Hi! I've just joined the forum because I've bricked my new 7720 with i7-3630QM with the modded BIOS.

Olehkh, after reading the forum I think that your BIOS is becoming a plague for newer 7720 Dells! I'm not saying it is your fault since it works on your end and it seemed to work on my laptop as well (until I removed the battery), but I think you should either try to help mitigate the problem, remove the bios from the public forum or create a disclaimer which would state it will totally brick some laptops.
As for my case, I need the laptop for work and I thought that the unlocked ROM will enable the Wake on LAN settings on the laptop, but instead it just powers on and lights the three keys from left to right. Also, the bios-overwrite procedure (pressing END while plugging the AC) doesn't work - it starts the laptop with full fan speed, but apart from that it's the same as the normal start. I've tried putting the USB with BIOS.cap (from the official update) and UEFI boot files as well as your DOS-bootable files with your rom into all 4 USB sockets and I used 4 different USB sticks (32MB noname, 512MB Kingston, 512 MB PQI and a new 16 GB) . I have tested the CD and DVD with the same files and as a long shot also the DVD they gave me with the laptop with the OS and I'm really going out of options. I'm open to suggestions and I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Hi! I've just joined the forum because I've bricked my new 7720 with i7-3630QM with the modded BIOS.
Olehkh, after reading the forum I think that your BIOS is becoming a plague for newer 7720 Dells! I'm not saying it is your fault since it works on your end and it seemed to work on my laptop as well (until I removed the battery), but I think you should either try to help mitigate the problem, remove the bios from the public forum or create a disclaimer which would state it will totally brick some laptops.
As for my case, I need the laptop for work and I thought that the unlocked ROM will enable the Wake on LAN settings on the laptop, but instead it just powers on and lights the three keys from left to right. Also, the bios-overwrite procedure (pressing END while plugging the AC) doesn't work - it starts the laptop with full fan speed, but apart from that it's the same as the normal start. I've tried putting the USB with BIOS.cap (from the official update) and UEFI boot files as well as your DOS-bootable files with your rom into all 4 USB sockets and I used 4 different USB sticks (32MB noname, 512MB Kingston, 512 MB PQI and a new 16 GB) . I have tested the CD and DVD with the same files and as a long shot also the DVD they gave me with the laptop with the OS and I'm really going out of options. I'm open to suggestions and I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

the only fix for mine has been to replace the motherboard. twice it's happened on different occasions. and it seems to be the fix it all thing to do... when in doubt replace motherboard.

The files on the russian website are deleted. Can anyone reupload those again somewhere else?

Also, Inspiron 7720 accumulates a lot of dust in the fan outlet, so opening up the fan unit (NOT HEATSINK) and cleaning it up may help too.

So, I tried the modded bios, but now the card is temp throttling :). It stays at 835mhz, but when the gpu hits 82*, the cpu usage goes to 40-50% and the fps in games are 10. So I reverted back to the original bios and started to play with the clocks, to find the "stable" clock. I found it: 850mhz and 1300 memory (stable 78*). I noticed that at these speeds, the voltage stays under 1.000. If I overclock it above those clocks, the voltage jumps above 1 and the card overheats. When I return home, I'll try to re-paste the gpu, but those voltages got me concerned, Is it possible to undervolt the card? I remember back in the day I undervolted my desktop video card and processor, and the temps got 10-15* lower.

If I try default clocks 745mhz and 2000mhz memory (under load - 1.012v), the gpu still throttles

If i try 850mhz and 2000 - the voltage stays the same 1.012 still throttles

if I try 950mhz and 2000 - the same 1.012

So the voltage never really changes at these speeds, but if its above 1.000, no matter the clocks, the gpu will throttle in some way.

• 3 weeks later...

I too was wondering if the A15 bios mod would work with the 3630QM? Also, I was wondering if any of the other members who have bricked their 17rse 7720 from something to do with our MOBO having the 3630qm processor or some other unknown update thats causing this, have been able to get their computers running again without needing Dell's help? I'm intrigued about what is causing this to happen only to the 3630qm mobos while the i5's and i7 3610qms have no problems......I guess another question could be, Do the i5's and i7's with successful flashes of the vbios mod or the unlocked bios mod have windows 8? and if not, then could it be something to do with legacy boot being disabled and secureboot enabled?

Hopefully somebody sees this!! haha

thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Will the unlocked Bios enable me to disable nvidia and switch to HD4000, I have the optimus 3D and would like to make my Dell 7720 SE 3610 run OSX Mavericks (Hackintosh)

The newer one listed here from Olenkh should. It unlocks all BIOS options. However I'm not 100% sure if its possible to do what you're asking on laptop.

Will the unlocked Bios enable me to disable nvidia and switch to HD4000, I have the optimus 3D and would like to make my Dell 7720 SE 3610 run OSX Mavericks (Hackintosh)

Olenkh's posted bios may allow you to change this as it has all the bios settings, but it may not be possible,

Oh wait a second... I think I might have missed one entry of the memory if you say yours is still 1000. Was late yesterday, I can fix that when I find time.

This is the same for me. Sometimes I boot its 1400mhz and other times 1000mhz. I am looking forward to a fix if you have time:)

• 2 weeks later...