Dell Inspiron 7720 650m GDDR5 modded vBIOS

Well, at +900 memory clock is about the highest I have pushed it for testing. I can go up to about +1000 but I start getting artifacts. Past that and it starts to lock up. Although I have noticed there isn't a significant difference with moving the memory past +450/500 as far as real performance so I usually run it around there. I'm still stuck at 970mhz for core clock though, with turbo. Tried the batch files for Nvidia Inspector, and can change everything, however, it will not go past the +135 offset, no matter what I try to do with it in the batch files. And if I don't set the offset up, it won't go past the 745 default. And no luck with the batch file to increase the offset. Running version 1.9.6.9 of inspector. 3D version, with no Optimus.

Alright. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I went back and installed the stock A11 bios from Dell. Then added the vbios Inspirion_7720_-_A11_[650m_mod_01_-_970-1400] on top of it. Installed fine. Loaded up Nvidia Inspector. Still says default clock is 745. But if I run a benchmark, or force P0 it says current clock is 835. I can boost this up to 970, which is great, but turbo boost isn't working? There is only the one version of this vbios with the 970-1400 right? Bios for gt650m is listed as 80.07.35.00.0D. That is great default goes up to 970, but would be nice with turbo boost still there to get it higher. Am I missing something with it?

Alright, I hope this isn't off-topic, but has anyone had a problem running GPU-z on the 7720? With it just installed, I've found that after gaming for 5-30 minutes my computer will just power down. Even if the program is not actively running. I uninstall it, and I have no problems. I was going to use it to log temps, but with it running I get maybe 5-10 minutes and power off (the laptop is always running on AC power) and with it just installed I get maybe 20-45 minutes and power down. This is even without over-clocking the GPU. With it uninstalled I can game for hours, no problem.

Well, at +900 memory clock is about the highest I have pushed it for testing. I can go up to about +1000 but I start getting artifacts. Past that and it starts to lock up. Although I have noticed there isn't a significant difference with moving the memory past +450/500 as far as real performance so I usually run it around there. I'm still stuck at 970mhz for core clock though, with turbo. Tried the batch files for Nvidia Inspector, and can change everything, however, it will not go past the +135 offset, no matter what I try to do with it in the batch files. And if I don't set the offset up, it won't go past the 745 default. And no luck with the batch file to increase the offset. Running version 1.9.6.9 of inspector. 3D version, with no Optimus.

The latest NV drivers cause this issue, its a problem with NVinspector and the new drivers, go back to 306? I think it was and your problems will be solved.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did any one face the same problem with the new BIOS A12 for Inspiron 17R Turbo(7720)..... After i flash with it, my frames rate while playing any game for about 5-10min drops below 20fps.... very surprising.... Normally its above 40fps

@Toopy

I didn't even think about rolling back the drivers. Thanks. You can actually go up to 310.90 and still overclock, unlike with 314.07. However, I did notice that the 306.97 still has slightly better (3-5%) performance. I was able to get up to 1040/2900 for the best performance. Just benchmark data so far, using Heaven. But got a 23% increase by bumping up the mhz by almost 25%. I did notice that Heaven, GPU-z, and NvidiaInspector all read the core speed and memory speed differently. Heaven and Nvidia would get the memory right, but the core wrong. GPU-z would get the core right but the memory was cut in half. Now to go try some real testing and fire up Assassin's Creed.

@player100

I have been running with the stock A12 bios from Dell and haven't had any of those issues. I did, however, have the same problem when I was running A09. The upgrade to A12 actually helped. You could try limiting the cpu from turbo and see if that helps your fps.

@Toopy

I didn't even think about rolling back the drivers. Thanks. You can actually go up to 310.90 and still overclock, unlike with 314.07. However, I did notice that the 306.97 still has slightly better (3-5%) performance. I was able to get up to 1040/2900 for the best performance. Just benchmark data so far, using Heaven. But got a 23% increase by bumping up the mhz by almost 25%. I did notice that Heaven, GPU-z, and NvidiaInspector all read the core speed and memory speed differently. Heaven and Nvidia would get the memory right, but the core wrong. GPU-z would get the core right but the memory was cut in half. Now to go try some real testing and fire up Assassin's Creed.

@player100

I have been running with the stock A12 bios from Dell and haven't had any of those issues. I did, however, have the same problem when I was running A09. The upgrade to A12 actually helped. You could try limiting the cpu from turbo and see if that helps your fps.

GPU-z will report the real speed that the ram is actually running at, as it is DDR(Double Data Rate Double data rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia- GDDR5 in our case GDDR5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) the clock is quadrupiled to obtain the final memory clock speed.

I'd use either MSI afterburner or EVGA Precesion with the OSD to display the Clocks, it will also display other usefull info like temp, GPU usage etc. However stick with NVinspector batch files for overclocking.

Can i still use the vbios mod of slv7 Inspirion_7720_-_A11_[650m_mod_01_-_970-1400] if i updated my bios to A12 or i have to wait the new slv7 mod? By the way i have the old 3610 processor and i have been using the slv7 mod since the beginning without problem. Does the AES improve performance, Im thinking about trying the russian bios, but i can findout what is the one with the vbios mod...

Edit: @elistar: I tested 306.97 and your right, i can make a .bat file and overclock past 1000mhz on core. 314.07 is lock to 970 mhz max. Funny fact is that 314.07 look so more stable. If i compare result with 3dmark 11, i got p2236 with 306.97 at 970 mhz, and p2626 with 314.07 at 970 mhz. Hence your 5-6 % performance increase with the old driver... But i get hitcut, and lag in 3dmark 11 and game since 314.07 doesnt cut at all .... Have you experience this too ??? I was sure boost issue was due to a psu but im not sure anymore ...

For using slv7's mod, and I'm no expert on this definitely, but I think it works off just the A11? I haven't tested it with A12, since I could use the older drivers to overclock. If locking out turbo on the cpu doesn't help (and I haven't noticed any performance loss in games with it, as far as fps - maybe a few extra seconds with loading but nothing major), you can try to force the gpu into P5 instead of P0. Depending on the game, sometimes it does increase fps and lower temps. Not sure why since it is the same voltage at full load. But like I said, it doesn't work in all games. But sometimes it does give a bit more reliability for me. Just have to mod the batch file a little bit. "nvidiaInspector.exe -setGpuClock:0,2,970 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,1,900 -setMemoryClock:0,2,2900 -forcepstate:0,0" to "nvidiaInspector.exe -setGpuClock:0,1,970 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,900 -setMemoryClock:0,1,2900 -forcepstate:0,5" for example. Of course, set your own speeds in there. Main difference is it runs the pci-e at 2.0 instead of 3.0. But I have never noticed a performance drop this way. Just an increase (small) depending on the game.

edit: Forgot to mention, in the Nvidia control panel, make sure that Power Management Mode is NOT set to Adaptive, and is on Prefer Maximum Performance.

You were mentioning the A12 bios, but I've read some posts saying to NOT go to that bios as it locks out even more features ect? Is there any truth to this? I'm also really wondering what the benefit to a12 over a11 is if any.

Wrain

Hey guys, i'm a pretty new forum user here and well I think I got in over my head! :(

I got excited about this new bios and attempted to go ahead with it. Well, Now i definatly live in the world of regret as its "bricked". I have th newer 7720 3630qm model and attempted the 970/1400 bios. After flashing it, I turned it off and on and now I just get a lit up keyboard, cycled 3 lights on the upper right 3 buttons, but no fan and dead.

I have now spent hours attempting to learn how to use the "end" key to recover but this is where i'm failing. I have now taken out the hard drive, the cd rom, and just have a fat 32 usb windows xp flash boot stick I made. The problem is I have no idea how to get a "CAP" file and have attempted to extract from dell ect the bios rom file.

I found a "russian" ROM file that is the extracted i presume but renaming and putting it BIOS.CAP on my stick and trying to "end" key recover it just sits with the fan spinning on high.

If anyone wants to help me thru this with the right file or explain what i'm doing wrong I'm more than willing to throw a few bucks over thru paypal, i just have a broken comp and having to go thru the warranty is gonna suck ! :(

Wrain

Alright, i have now managed to get the "BIOS.CAP" file, load it onto the USB flash drive (bootable and fat32). I have reinstalled the hard drive, cd rom , ect.

Now if i hit the power button the computer comes on with fan and cycles thru the 3 button lights on top right. Keyboard lights up but fan remains spinning on high and if I hit any buttons on keyboard I get "beeps".

I'm thinking this is a warranty call?

Wrain :(

Well, after spending hours trying to figure this out; I accept defeat. I have studied numerous posts, downloaded universal extractor, phoenix bios editor, and a slew of other programs I was instructed too. Tried numerous re-naming of the bios file(s) to wph, cap ect. Nothing seems to want to light up that USB stick slot. The ONLY thing I have not tried (which is because I am unable to extract the file) is to have an original dell bios file extract a 2mb FD file. Then supposedly RENAME this to what the bios editor says and load this up onto the USB stick.

I'm at a loss and will be talking to Dell on monday. If ANYONE wants to take a shot at somehow extracting the FD file and having the correct name put on it for download I will happily oblige and try anything at this point.

Bios file used was 940/1400 clocks video bios.

7720 3630qm version, windows 8 key

problems are as follows:

Will turn on, lights , keyboard everything comes on, but dead. No keyboard beeps, just sits there running.

I AM able to hold the "end" key, plug in the A/C and it powers up with full fan speed; but again just sits there running.

No display on LCD, no activity. When I put in the usb stick (take it out slightly) it DOES light up as if activity is there but again, no reading or anything as it just sits dead.

At this point guys i'm a "free tester" guinea pig. If you want anything tried go for it, i'll try anything.

and again, if anyone figures this out i'll throw a few bucks at ya. Sorry about all the posts, wanted to give a precise line of communication of what I did.

Defeated and warranty time,

Wrain

Hey, does anyone have a copy of 7720_A12_AES_MSR_0xE2_unlock_var1.rar ? The rghost link to the file has been deleted. It worked fine on my 7720 to unlock everything, then I think I accidentally deleted my copy. I've tried the new 7720_A12_AES_MSR_0xE2_MOD.rar file and it doesn't give me any new options in the bios. And 7720_A12_AES_MSR_0xE2_MOD_newvbios.rar makes the computer un-bootable until I reload the stock A12 bios off a flash drive.

hello all,

i am now also bricked after flashing 7720_A12_AES_MSR_0xE2_MOD.rar

has anyone been able to recover using the .cap file method?

i have been un successful so far

i have formatted my usb in fat ( not fat32 )

i have the dell a12 update .cap

i have tried both usb ports on the left side

im still left with a black screen & the fan spinning

hello all,

i am now also bricked after flashing 7720_A12_AES_MSR_0xE2_MOD.rar

has anyone been able to recover using the .cap file method?

i have been un successful so far

i have formatted my usb in fat ( not fat32 )

i have the dell a12 update .cap

i have tried both usb ports on the left side

im still left with a black screen & the fan spinning

THIS BIOS WILL BRICK ANY 3630QM CPU 7720's...

ask me how I know... it doesn't immediately do it, and will run fine until you do a cold boot. seems to be fine for 3600 i7's though... idk if there will ever be a fix... been watching the forums for it and haven't seen much.