Dell Inspiron 7720 650m GDDR5 modded vBIOS

same issue here. temps were fine after flash (about 30 mins of ss3, not more than around 80) , boot after first real shutdown failed. i'd wonder if gpu was responsible. didn't get original bios flashed back so only solution for me was change of mb...

I'm starting to feel its a revision thing, did you get your 17r se with the cpu i7 3630qm (or that was at least the default i7 cpu at time of purchase?) instead of the earlier 3610. Obviously i doubt the cpu change is what made it fail, but perhaps the MB has had a silent change/update along with the cpu bump as well? Either way I'd recommend not using the mod if you've bought your 7720 recently.

That's some weird stuff you guys report... 970MHz is really a moderate overclock for this card, and I didn't touch the voltage iirc, so it might really have something to do with the design of the system. Seems as if some component on the board is failing, possibly due to the additional load... I don't really have an explanation for this.

That's some weird stuff you guys report... 970MHz is really a moderate overclock for this card, and I didn't touch the voltage iirc, so it might really have something to do with the design of the system. Seems as if some component on the board is failing, possibly due to the additional load... I don't really have an explanation for this.

I don´t think that something on the board is failing. I´m running 950mhz all the time, but not with bios mod. Its running great so far. I´m using NV Inspector for that and i´m not using battery, it runs only from PSU. Also i disconnect the PSU after every shutdown.

AFAIK all notebooks got bricked after removing battery and disconnecting the PSU. So there has to be some memory issue. Something gets erased after bios flash and power loss and the notebook gets bricked.

I´m pretty sure, that we get better OC with more voltage. The question is, what leads to this voltage drop on high load? Maybe the PSU is crap? Does anybode have the chance to check this with stronger PSU?

BTW, from my last hardcore gaming tests, i know that max OC is 950mhz. At 970mhz i get errors after a while. On 950mhz everything is absolutely stable.

I'm starting to feel its a revision thing, did you get your 17r se with the cpu i7 3630qm (or that was at least the default i7 cpu at time of purchase?) instead of the earlier 3610. Obviously i doubt the cpu change is what made it fail, but perhaps the MB has had a silent change/update along with the cpu bump as well? Either way I'd recommend not using the mod if you've bought your 7720 recently.

laptop was purchased late december 2012, i7 3630qm. i'd wonder if there are changes in the board-layout or something because i can't see any differences in the bios revisions offered by dell for the inspiron. strange issue...

2all. and here comes the Sun! here's the TOTALLY OPENED dell 7720's BIOS. "totally" means that all the hidden menus are now opened and customizable.

rghost-dot-ru/43962616 - opened BIOS

rghost-dot-ru/44113376 - instructions.

and there are some new BIOS' modifications to come which are flashable as the original one.

this is reposted message from the 7720's thread at the ixbt forum.

be careful, you can build a rocket or you can get it bricked.

yeah,please link to the original thread.

i also don´t understand that some guy´s have problems. i dont know about the 3630QM problem,because i have a 3610QM,but i run the modded bios by SVL7 since he released ist and it works pretty good on my notebook. no unstable problems with the 970 mhz clock speed.

i think ist maybe because the notebook is getting to hot.

dell is using really bad heatsink paste... i opened up my inspiron and change it carefully with the arctic MX-4 and now the CPU is about 15 degrees cooler. also the GPU has 6-7 ° less with it. i also using a cooling pad under my notebook(coolermaster notepal U3) and i getting arround 70-72 ° at my GPU and 75-79° CPU(with boost) while i´m playing battlefield 3. the temp´s are stable and doesnt increase,i sometimes play 3-5 hours.

@svl7

i send you a message a few day´s ago. please respond if the donate findig it´s way to you ;):D

2all. and here comes the Sun! here's the TOTALLY OPENED dell 7720's BIOS. "totally" means that all the hidden menus are now opened and customizable.

rghost-dot-ru/43962616 - opened BIOS

rghost-dot-ru/44113376 - instructions.

and there are some new BIOS' modifications to come which are flashable as the original one.

this is reposted message from the 7720's thread at the ixbt forum.

be careful, you can build a rocket or you can get it bricked.

This is great!!! But a few questions:

-What do you mean with totally open? What else is open besides AES,MSR 0xE2?

-Is OC over 135mhz unlocked?

-Is GPU Voltage unlocked or raised?

Has anybody with newer 7720 notebooks tried to flash this bios? My Notebook is only 2 weeks old and has the i7 3630qm CPU, I´m really scared testing this bios. Don´t want to brick something!

I was born in russia, but sadly never learnd to read cyrillic :-(

@gebiter

It´s not a thermal issue... as i already told, my temperatuer from CPU and GPU is at 66°C on load! So everything is fine.

Could you please check your GPU voltage on load? Mine drops to 1012mv on load, i think this is our problem...

yeah,please link to the original thread.

i also don´t understand that some guy´s have problems. i dont know about the 3630QM problem,because i have a 3610QM,but i run the modded bios by SVL7 since he released ist and it works pretty good on my notebook. no unstable problems with the 970 mhz clock speed.

i think ist maybe because the notebook is getting to hot.

dell is using really bad heatsink paste... i opened up my inspiron and change it carefully with the arctic MX-4 and now the CPU is about 15 degrees cooler. also the GPU has 6-7 ° less with it. i also using a cooling pad under my notebook(coolermaster notepal U3) and i getting arround 70-72 ° at my GPU and 75-79° CPU(with boost) while i´m playing battlefield 3. the temp´s are stable and doesnt increase,i sometimes play 3-5 hours.

@svl7

i send you a message a few day´s ago. please respond if the donate findig it´s way to you ;):D

Temps are not to blame here, I'm still running it at 970 atm, just without the bios mod. Meaning after every cold boot i have to reseat the battery to ''reset'' the gpu lock. And it doesnt get to hot when stressing the gpu. Even when stressing both the cpu and gpu it manages to cool itself enough (it does get quite loud though)

I ordered today a 240W Power Suppy. This should be enough to handle the I7 and overclocked GPU. I hope this fixes the instability issues with GPU. This PSU is used in the Alienware M17x Series :-)

Although i will trie the russian bios mod, seems that its a kind of developer bios. There are all options open. You can even run the RAM with 2133mhz and one user was able to OC to 1200mhz:

Thats just awesome! The russian guys are although thinking that the PSU doesn´t have enough power.

Ok i tried to flash, but it am getting this error:

Press any key to continue . . .

C:\Flash_Tool>fptw64.exe -f BIOS.ROM -bios

Intel ® Flash Programming Tool. Version: 8.0.10.1464

Copyright © 2007 - 2012, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

PMXUtil: Error during PMX Call: idrvdll.dll!IDRVInit(): Failed VerAddVersion() c

all

Error 284: Fail to load driver (PCI access for Windows).

Tool needs to run with an administrator priviledge account.

I am running the cmd.exe as administrator, and even flagged the fptw64.exe to run with administrative privileges...

I am running this on Windows 8 Pro x64... why am i getting this?

Yeah, there is. Will post it when I get back.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

@sl7

any word on the windows8 crap? it's kind of bothersome that I can't OC my GPU nor can I revert to the A01 bios because of whatever dell monkeyed with.

EDIT---------------------

FIXED, run in windows 7 compatibility mode. seems to work... tested and working fine. Thanks!

post-9837-14494994360866_thumb.png

I ordered today a 240W Power Suppy. This should be enough to handle the I7 and overclocked GPU. I hope this fixes the instability issues with GPU. This PSU is used in the Alienware M17x Series :-)

Although i will trie the russian bios mod, seems that its a kind of developer bios. There are all options open. You can even run the RAM with 2133mhz and one user was able to OC to 1200mhz:

Thats just awesome! The russian guys are although thinking that the PSU doesn´t have enough power.

please report if you get your new PSU.

also i would be interressted in ja link where i can buy it. im´m from germany and cant find a stand alone PSU

please report if you get your new PSU.

also i would be interressted in ja link where i can buy it. im´m from germany and cant find a stand alone PSU

I'm also from Germany. The PSU is called "PA-9e". Its the OEM PSU from Alienware M17x. Just search on eBay, I bought a refurbished unit for 28€. Please wait till I verify that the plug fits to our 17r SE.

AFAIK you have the i7 3610qm. Can you please check your GPU Voltage on load?

I hope so much that this fixes the voltage drop problem and I can oc to 1200mhz ;)

I'm also from Germany. The PSU is called "PA-9e". Its the OEM PSU from Alienware M17x. Just search on eBay, I bought a refurbished unit for 28€. Please wait till I verify that the plug fits to our 17r SE.

AFAIK you have the i7 3610qm. Can you please check your GPU Voltage on load?

I hope so much that this fixes the voltage drop problem and I can oc to 1200mhz ;)

okay, i now found it official at the delll shop,but they want 120 €.... so i think ebay and refurbished will work fine for me :D

normaly the gpu has a voltage about 1.037 but on load it drops to 1.0120,why ever....

maybe its the PSU,please report. you can write me a personal message on german :D

i will now flash the russian open bios an hope it works,anythink special you do while flashing?

EDIT: are you sure about the PSU? because the original has output: 19,5V / 6,7A and the alienware has 19,5/ 12,3A. im not an electrican,so i don´t wanna damage my notebook with the wrong PSU...

Ok guys, DON´T FLASH THE BIOS MOD ON NEWER 7720 Notebooks!!!

I flashed it and got bricked, like the other people. Bios was running fine, till i removed the battery and unpluged the power!

So to me it means, that dell has changes something on the mainboard. People with old 3610qm doesn´t have problems with the mod.

Newer models with 3630qm (like mine) get bricked. Recovery doesn´t work. So i have to contact dell :-(

I assume you're talking about the Russian mod, so please clarify this. Also are you sure you followed the instructions for the Russian mod? If you flash the bios in that way, it's crucial that you're already on the same stock bios version as the mod you want to flash, else you might end up with a complete brick.

my NB was on A12, i flashed russian mod A12 from the link and followed instrucions. Flash went fine. And NB bootet without problems. I disconnected and reconnected PSU, boot was fine. Then testet to remove battery and disconnect PSU. After reconneting PSU, brick! So to me it only happens after complete power loss.

Its strange that nobody knows the reason for this... But like i said before, i wouldn´t recomment to use bios mod on newer 7720 notebooks.

okay i now have flashed the russian open bios mod.

i have the 3610QM model and it work pretty fine with this mod. i also have remove all power supplys for 5 minutes and nothing has bricked.

first think i found out,that i have much lower tempretures on the same CPU/gpu clocks like before with SVL7´s mod. !

they are about 6 degrees lower. isnt that strange? o.O

there are so manny options, i will test a little bit with this "new features".

i report soon.

Watch out, not necessarily all functions will work. Lower temps is possible, it's a newer bios after all. Maybe different fan speeds etc.

i will be carefully, i promise that.

but isn´t it the A12 bios like the one you modded?

hmm,i also cant find any options for the geforce card. just für the HD4000.

fan speed seems to be the same, but cant say for sure because it just sounds like before.

i also stuck on the 970 mhz speed.... but i thing i will finde a work around :)

nope,with the russian open bios the gt 650 is all standart again. 745 mhz and boost works on 835mhz.

i tried to overclock with nvidia inspector. before i was able to get over 1000 mhz. now with the same .bat file i stuck on 970 mhz.

there some fine settings in there i have activated and it stil runs fine :)

EDIT: i have just seen that there is ja new open russion bios mod with a modded vbios in it. i will test and report if they using yours!

EDIT 2: okay they using another v bios mod! this has a standart of 885 mhz an can bring up to 1020 mhz. also the voltage is changed. before i have 1.0370V maximum and now about 1.0670V

but somehow it throttle down to 400 mhz.... think the russians dont knwo what to do,your bios mod doesnt throttle :D

EDIT 3: ok,now i have restartet all and so on an now it dont throttle down and just runs fine... strange things happend here.i also ordered another PSU ,maybe it will run much better.....

EDIT4: ok last edit :P this vbios mod runs very fine, increase my framerate in alot of games. but the gpu here also stuck @ 1020 mhz. even other powerstates not work anymore. the gpu voltage ist most the tome stable @ 1.0870V sometimes drop to 1.0620V

temps are fine. even with this higher voltage and clock it is 3-4 ° cooler then before.

i can say that the bios mod works fine for me.

but users with a 3630QM should be really carefully!!!