Dell Inspiron 7720 650m GDDR5 modded vBIOS

svl7, a member on notebook review, in the thread regarding owners of the Dell 7720, uploaded the batch file for flashing and the two mods, 00 and 01. I previously read through this TI thread and had some understanding of what your VBIOS mod intended to do. If you look through notebook review thread, I believe the post including your modifications is somewhere around page 148.

• Thumbs Up 1

I get a brick, when flash at 970. nb is 7720-3884

What i do:

1. Flash @ A11 from Dell's off site

2. Flash @ AES vMod 835mhz

3. One day later buy Arctic Silver Ceramique and get NB for "turbo mode" xD

4. Try to flash @ 970 mzh - failed on start. When i think what need back on "clean" A11 and do it...

5. But when flash is ok - NB reboot and ... i got brick.. x_X

- not read usb with "crysis mode" =( no power on external ports (sata, usb, fans, etc - work only kb backlight and matrix test). For recover I get rom chip from other NB (7720-6174) and create dump with prog device. Then this binary I'm uploaded on my chip and moutherboard can send power and read ROM from USB. But NB not started normally - black screen, fan speed is 0.

What now:

- reflash with factory flasher A11 - brick.

- reflash @ any mod from here - brick.

- system can load if rename "boot.rom" to "boot.cap" from 835mod and only from USB (this is ROM i flash before in step 2)

- Windows loaded nornally, if after boot ROM from flash enter to BIOS (F2) and exit with save (F10)

Any ideas? Work any time load BIOS from flash not fine, I think :D

P.S. I can create binary from my chip, if it can help resolve problem :)

P.P.S. Sorry for bad English ;D

Patrick, typically I experience an idle of 50-55c, and 70-76c under load. However, in BF3, after prolonged play, logs show the card hitting 90c. Literally as soon as I exit BF3 and check my temps it returns to 70c, and therefore I do not believe it to be a problem with the heat sink as it dissipates heat very quickly. I will consider changing my thermal paste should the temps continue to reach 90. I just had the motherboard replaced by a Dell tech for the previously mentioned failed flash from Mod00 to A11 (again, I in no way believe this to be a problem with svl7's mod, as it was running perfectly, but rather an issue with Dell's installer package), and I will see how the temps look with this new installation. Also, I do not use a laptop cooler/external cooling of any kind, and we may be comparing apples to oranges.

Alright with new motherboard and stock A10 (came with new install) BIOS, I am maxing at 77c in BF3 for 30 minutes with no external cooling, CPU turbo (i7/3630qm) enabled. So in Mod00, it appears my GPU was seeing significant increase in temps (90c @ 835mhz in BF3), though it is difficult to compare as I now have a replacement board in the system.

Now in BF3 (835mhz) with thermal paste replace\no external cooling - i get not more ~75-80c, but need to load bios from USB anytime :( Change MB @ warranty not good idea for me, i think :D More 5 times i was get\insert rom chip from MB, but i will try after russian's holydays. And, I if can't resolve my "little" problem in next 3 weeks.

@Dimitry: Is the coin cell battery ("cmos battery") plugged in and working? Also are you sure that your bios chip is functional and soldered on properly?

Yep. Battery is ok. Chip was soldered proper. I'm sure! ))))))

Just I'm remember: in 1st time, then unsolder chip, previously I made a ​dump - i'm pay attention on visual differences of 2 dumps (software shows HEX two versions before flash).

Strange, what software bios versions (A11), chip models, .rom file sizes - it was identical. Apart a strange result in fact - mine chip dont work, after reflash on official release...

How show mine humble experience, what big difference with same troubles will not to be . But I can be wrong - because dumps was made of two difference notebooks - part and serial numbers, release dates, hardware parts setup and etc.

Is all are it logical? I'm not sure. Or I skip some details. Maybe upload to here a .rom file what I'm used in 1st time? And why after official reflash, without errors, warnings, bugs - BIOS work fail and power turned off on external ports? Why, after hardware chip reflash - motherboard send power on external ports, but after again reflash with official tool - no get power again? WTF? Heh, so many questions))))

Will be fine, if I can find binary dump from 7720-3384, created with programming device or without it, damn. :((( Maybe, it give chance to help in my trouble resolve . Don't know...

Any case, IMHO, problem need solve here - for experience and excluded such failures in future.

Regards.

Hey guys,

I flashed successfully (no bricking!) the from RadioDOT linked BIOS mod,

which combines svl7's GPU clock and AES-NI patches made by ixbt member Serbius
(page 6). And now I have full AES support!

TOP guys! You will get one more beer :eagerness:

I have got a question: Can I overclock the 650M more than 970Mhz? How? MSI Afterburner and Nvidia Inspector allow me only 970Mhz.

And for those guys failing to run the flash.bat, you have definitely to DISABLE the UAC-Control from Windows with msconfig!

I´d like to use this BIOS Mod too. But I have some questions now. Which is the newest Version of your Mod? The version posted at page 11 or the one on page 6? If i didn´t misread there is one version with aes support and one without. Which is which? And finally my last question. How do you install your mod? the BIOS Update from Dell was an executeable. Is yours one too?

Hows everyone whos using the modded bios computer doing? Also what is the highest clock speed the gpu can be set to without the modded bios and using a program such as nvidia inspector as long as the gpu doesnt get over 90 degree Celsius.

Would there be a way to modify the bios so the 650m would become a 660m? I heard that those two are physically the same. I know that 7720's cooling solution wouldn't be able to keep it chill (or maybe?) but lets not think about that for the moment

Hi,

I purchase this laptop a few days ago and eagerly waiting for it to arrive, sense then i been reading about some issues with it.

One of the issues is GPU Boost disabling after unplugging the AC. Only fix apparently was to turn laptop of remove battery and reinsert it.

A few questions to anyone who has time to help :)

Does this mod fix the gpu boost disabling issue?

Does it change the clock speed to 970Mhz with gpu boost or just changes the stock clock to 970 and turns boost off?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Any news here?

The 17r SE reacts very strange to OC. Everything over 970mhz core gets unstable. I don´t understand why... the alienware guys are squeezing out 1100mhz+, and we can´t go further than 970 :-(

What could be the reason for this?

ATM i have no bios mod. Just overclocked via NvidiaInspektor to 970mhz and checked the voltage: Idle voltage is 1037mV.

But at high gpu load it drops to 1012mv. I also disabled CPU Boost by switching maximum CPU usage to 99%, to be sure that it´s not a heat problem and to safe power. My temps are at 66-70°C on GPU and CPU with CoolerMaster Notepal U3.

The PSU (135Watts!!) should be strong enough to handle the GPU OC with disabled CPU Turbo Boost. Is this voltage drop normal? I think this might be the reason for instability issues.

@svl7

Any chance to check this?

Hey, Used the latest 970 clock bios from svl7. Was good for an hour, untill i shut down the notebook. Now seems to be bricked, wont turn on proper. Only the leds turn on and hd spin for a sec, thats about it. Any tips?

same issue here. temps were fine after flash (about 30 mins of ss3, not more than around 80) , boot after first real shutdown failed. i'd wonder if gpu was responsible. didn't get original bios flashed back so only solution for me was change of mb...