Dell Inspiron 7720 650m GDDR5 modded vBIOS

Thats what i thought as well at first, but with a reboot the system doesnt fully power down. And the symptoms just scream ''dead'' bios to me. And it looks a lot like the story from a few pages back regarding the russian mod.

edit: would removing cmos for a sec help?, does the notebook even have one to begin with actually..? i have informed dell, but obviously rather not send it back.

You used svl7 mod or that russian fail of a mod?

Thats what i thought as well at first, but with a reboot the system doesnt fully power down. And the symptoms just scream ''dead'' bios to me. And it looks a lot like the story from a few pages back regarding the russian mod.

edit: would removing cmos for a sec help?, does the notebook even have one to begin with actually..? i have informed dell, but obviously rather not send it back.

A bios can't just be 'dead'. You can have a bad flash, and then it won't work, but you can't flash a bios, then have your system running and then the bios goes magically bad... Unless your bios chip got hit by some radiation from space which flipped some bits, lol.

Seriously, this can't be a bios issue, else it wouldn't have worked in the first place.

svl7 mod, the latest one with the 970 clock. Just that the symptoms are the same as those who have used the Russian one.

- - - Updated - - -

A bios can't just be 'dead'. You can have a bad flash, and then it won't work, but you can't flash a bios, then have your system running and then the bios goes magically bad... Unless your bios chip got hit by some radiation from space which flipped some bits, lol.

Seriously, this can't be a bios issue, else it wouldn't have worked in the first place.

Yeah i understand, with the dead part i was simply referring to a bad flash resulting in a ''dead'' laptop. I just thought maybe because i rebooted, rather than power down the NB and then power on it may have not actually been using the new bios. Although i already felt like it was a long shot simply because i had furmark running for 10 min at 970 clock just fine. I'm just trying to understand as to why its happening at this point.

My expirience... Bios mod is still working fine for me, flashing was successfull, and notebook works correctly now, core clock is 970 and memory 2000. Max Gpu temp is 76C. I will change thermal paste soon to decrease max temp to 70..)

My expirience... Bios mod is still working fine for me, flashing was successfull, and notebook works correctly now, core clock is 970 and memory 2000. Max Gpu temp is 76C. I will change thermal paste soon to decrease max temp to 70..)

Nice! Do you hace your laptop risen up to get decent airflow? Im not sure if Id want to apply thermal paste and if 76c is the highest your getting then I should have hope.

I dont have problem after 1-2 weeks of testing, everything work find. Dont try to use the russian mod, use only slv7 mod. This guy know what he is doing .... trust me ! thanks again for all again slv7

Your words have no meaning. Where is the evidence?

Now the situation is as follows:

russian mod = 1 brick

last slv7 mod = 1 brick

score is tied!

How do you explain that the russian mod is worse? I use Russian mod for almost a month and everything is OK!

Hey everyone.

New to the forum, and wanted to say thanks to all who have put in the time and effort for the modified bios.

That said, I have come with some bad news.

I ran the slv7 mod00 bios with excellent results. Everything was working great, but my gpu temps were around 90c under load. I didn't notice a huge performance increase in BF3, and therefore decided to flash back to stock bios to see if the temps would return to the mid 70s under load. Upon reflashing the stock bios, and message stating that the flash was successful, the laptop shutdown, never to return to life.

Maybe this is a fault of my own in flashing the A11 on top of a modded A11, but somehow in the process it bricked.

I am currently searching for a method to recover my bios, although dell is already sending a replacement board. I cannot seem to extract a .rom file from the bios executable. I have used resource extractor to get all of the .bin files out, but have no idea where to go from there in getting a .rom/.cap/etc. that is loadable by the motherboard in crisis recovery.

Any direction?

Thank you.

Yes, I used the Dell provided 7720A11.exe. Everything went as normal, system restarted, bios updated, "successful" message, then brick.

Prior to flashing the bios, the executable warned against flashing the same bios version as what was currently on the chip. Not sure if that plays a factor into this.

svl7, there are many methods around the web for loading the bios using a crisis recovery method. The most common I have found use BIOS.WPH for newer dell laptops, with a combination of keys while simultaneously insertingthe AC adapter. Are you familiar with this method/have any advice to give? Thus far I have been able to use "END" with the adapter and the laptop turns on upon release of the END button, but I have no been able to get it to load anything from the USB. I also have not been able to get a bios rom from the 7720A01.exe.

I appreciate your response.

I decide to flash my laptop back to the stock a11 bios, since i dont care to have a brick because im under warranty lol. I can confirm you that i had no problem to do it. Everything was find for me. I flash back to the slv7 mod after and it's Still ok.

groovelite : i used to have high temp problem with my laptop on the gpu and cpu. Even on stock bios i was close to 90c on both processor. I ask dell to change my heat sink and i saw it was bend and had a crack. And the same time i decide to put artic silver 7 termal past, and my temp when down from 90c to max 74-76c even with the gpu core at 970-1000 mhz ... also make sure to lift the back of the laptop about 2-3 inch.... Making the gpu 970mhz wont make a huge difference in bf3, from the stock 835 mhz, but when the system lock it to 745 mhz.... trust me, You'll easy lost a 10 fps !

Is there some other user with sucessfully story of the mod? In my case, the only concern i have, it's with the mod my system slow down sometime when the cpu and the gpu boost at the same time. If i lower the brightness of the screen and disconnect the wi-fi, the problem is gone. Same if i lower the max stade of the cpu to 99-98% ... Im still thinking of to much power draw from our 130 w ac adaptor. Last test ill do, is testing full boost on the battery only to see .... too slv7: Do you think i can be right, or 130w can supply a i7 and a gt650m overclocked? Will this explain the lock to 745 mhz problem when on stock bios since we know the temp of the gpu was not a issue when under 90c ???