Dell Inspiron 7720 650m GDDR5 modded vBIOS

this seems to be exatly what we are searching for :)

i´m from germany an we have a forum full of users that have that problem...

we collect a many service tags an names an try to contact dell because of this.

because we buy a notebook that not promises that dell made....

my english is not good,but i will try to help everyone with that notebook and the same problems :)

Hello im new here i bought the laptop myself a few days ago i also have the same problem (the specs are the same) i just want to ask if the modified bios file is enough to stop the card from going down to 745 mhz without touching the flash file This is my graphic card

post-7352-14494993891456_thumb.png

Hello im new here i bought the laptop myself a few days ago i also have the same problem (the specs are the same) i just want to ask if the modified bios file is enough to stop the card from going down to 745 mhz without touching the flash file This is my graphic card[ATTACH=CONFIG]5387[/ATTACH]

looks like the herer posted bios file kann fix the problem ;)

but i havent test it yet,because i cant download it.

but it all looks like that the bios is a breake for the GPU

It seems that smth wrong with flash.bat, when I run this file it just immediately closes with no result. I try to perform it in 'cmd' and it says that "I" command is not valid, then I delete "echo ********* T|I ****************" from this .bat and it could be successfully run. Now I'm going to restart and test the results)

Let me take a look at it again, it was about 4am when I wrote that batch... :)

It seems that we have first great resultsicon7.png I played 40 minutes in different games and clocks doesn't drop to 745mhz!! This is the gpu-z log for last 20 minutes in Crysis2:

[ATTACH]5386[/ATTACH]

Without that modded Bios gpu boost always disables after 40sec in Crysis2! Now clocks were always at 835mhz, max gpu temp was 74C (you could see everything in log file).

Awesome)) Great job) Thank you svl7!!

I will continue testing))

One more hour of game in World of tanks, 835 mhz don't drops) Max gpu temp during game - 65C. Perfect)

Now I'm thinking about small overclocking))

Sounds good... :) The software overclocking limit should already be increased. Not sure how it will behave when overclocked... might throttle down to 835, or it might not, no idea.

svl7, could you please enable AES NI instructions? It was enabled in A03 but dell turned it off in A08 and A11.

Well, blame Dell for disabling this, that's just plain stupid. Also disabling a hardware feature with which the system was sold might even be against the law in certain areas... anyway, it might be possible to fix it per bios mod, but I don't have time to look into Phoenix modding just now. For a quick fix just flash A03...

so when i run the FLASH.bat it told me that it can not find fptw64.exe .... so what whent wrong?

EDIT: ok i fixed that when i write the path to it into the .bat,but then it say´s it cant find fpart.text....

EDIT2: ok i flashed the bios successfully an will test it. i write the change direktory command into the bat and then he fund all the data ;)

It seems that smth wrong with flash.bat, when I run this file it just immediately closes with no result.

Lol, fixed that now, updated the post... Just realized what the problem was, stupid me. :P

so when i run the FLASH.bat it told me that it can not find fptw64.exe .... so what whent wrong?

EDIT: ok i fixed that when i write the path to it into the .bat,but then it say´s it cant find fpart.text....

If you have the BIOS and the tools in the same folder it should work fine, at least with the updated version. Fptw needs admin permissions.

If you have the BIOS and the tools in the same folder it should work fine, at least with the updated version. Fptw needs admin permissions.

something was wrong for me,but after all it works ;)

the boost is stable now,playing battlefiel 3 for 5 minutes and it doesnt throttle down.

thanks for that,youre awesome!!

maybe me and some other guy´s from germay donate you something :)

then i tryed overclocking but here the grafikcard throttle down to 835 mhz...

is it possible to change that? so that there is no throttle down when overclocking?

also it will be awesome if you can show us how do you get the vbios out of the bios file from dell and how to modify it ourselfs!!

maybe as a hint: after the GPU reaches 67° it throttle down...

EDIT: also i have reconized that the voltage goes down from 1.0370 V to 1.0120 V

svl7, i tried to flash modified bios but got an "Error 103: There are no supported SPI flash devices installed. Please check connectivity and orientation of SPI flash device." According to Intel's System Tools User Guide it means that fparts.txt doesn't describe my hardware and I need to manually add display name, id, size and other params to it. But where can i find this information?

svl7, could you please enable AES NI instructions? It was enabled in A03 but dell turned it off in A08 and A11.

AES is set back on now in the modified A11 BIOS (ixbt ver.). I asked mod's author to let people here try his mod, if he allow this I'll let everyone know.

As soon as after overclocking video throttles to base 835mhz (after last bios mod) , we could ask svl7 to make bios with default 970mhz core clock and 2200 mhz memory)) GPU will not have boost and will not throttle (it seems to me easier than trying to fix boost disabling bug.. just to find max stable clocks with turned off boost and be happy). Then we could test stability of these clocks/temperatures/perfomance. (More than 970mhz seems for me to be not very stable for this notebook, but who knows:joyous:)

As soon as after overclocking video throttles to base 835mhz (after last bios mod) , we could ask svl7 to make bios with default 970mhz core clock and 2200 mhz memory)) GPU will not have boost and will not throttle (it seems to me easier than trying to fix boost disabling bug.. just to find max stable clocks with turned off boost and be happy). Then we could test stability of these clocks/temperatures/perfomance. (More than 970mhz seems for me to be not very stable for this notebook, but who knows:joyous:)

this grafikcard truely has more power,i can promise you that.

in the overclocking thread in some other forums the users are able to set the clock stable to 1200 mhz core clock with a huge powermance boost ;)

the problem in my oppinion is the temp....

i can set my card stable to 1100 mhz but after a short time is throttles back.

if you go over 1120 mhz it crash with a blue screen,but only because of the bios ;)

my brother has nearly the same notebook(if you look at the specs)

same GPU in a ASUS notebook an it hast no problem to run arround 1180 mhz. his maximum overclock was 1250mhz but then there was some issues...

we have to remember that the GT 650M is nothing else then a GTX 660M that is throotled by nvidia...

EDIT: but you are right! we should not go to far or high with the clock settings. i just saying it is possible ^^

and of cause we have to check tempratures!!!

Gebiter can you write a guide what you did to correct the problem?

of cause :)

first you have to extrakt all the files an have to put the BIOS flie in the same directory as the flashing tool.

when you getting the same problem as me like "file XXXX.exe" not found or somthing like that,you have to edit the batch file. by that i mean to right click the FLASH.bat and choose EDIT in the dropdown menu.

then writh the path to the directory you have saved or extract the files in one of the first rows BEFORE the line where it asking for your input.

exemple: C:\USER\plaguesss\flash-tool\XXX.exe.

also delete the line with "echo **********T/I******* " or something like that.

now the bios should flash wenn you run the batch file as admin.

be sure you hat the battery in the notebook an power connected... afther that reboot an be happy :D

Well, blame Dell for disabling this, that's just plain stupid.

that's an artificial border between "mid-priced home" and "corporate" product lines. 7720 without its limitations will beat dell's other models sales for sure.

AES-NI opening thread is here: http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-inspiron-dell-studio/2404-inspiron-17r-se-7720-aes-ni-disabled.html

and, there's at least one ready BIOS mod linked. at the moment without VBIOS mod, but I hope it'll be ready soon.

so after a few hours of reading an testing and stuff like that i have extract all the content in the BIOS. around 1388 .ROM files or somthing like that.

i also was able to find the videobios...

i found something intresting and wierd in the bios!!!

in A11 bios the vBIOS version is: 80.07.35.00.2F

But i already flashed the original bios file and the modded one from this thread and GPU z still say it is version 80.07.35.00.0C linke in BIOS A03

maybe SVL7 can say something about that?

also i am interessted how do you edit the vBIOS. nibitor and tools like that wont wok for me :/

EDIT: ok seems like i can edit it with svet´s fermi/kempler VBIOS TUNER....

and hex modding seems too dangerous for me,because dont have any skillz with that :D

Actually there are four vbios in A11 - 75.17.33.00.01 (a 620m vbios), and 3x 650m - 80.07.35.00.0C, 80.07.35.00.0D, 80.07.35.00.2F.

The newest one contains UEFI compatible drivers, but the rest is exactly the same, so it doesn't matter at all, no need to force it to use the newer version. You'd only need it if you wanted secure boot, but in that case you wouldn't be able to use a modified bios anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

Actually there are four vbios in A11 - 75.17.33.00.01 (a 620m vbios), and 3x 650m - 80.07.35.00.0C, 80.07.35.00.0D, 80.07.35.00.2F.

The newest one contains UEFI compatible drivers, but the rest is exactly the same, so it doesn't matter at all, no need to force it to use the newer version. You'd only need it if you wanted secure boot, but in that case you wouldn't be able to use a modified bios anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

yes,yesterday i found 2 others as well,but you already answered my question for today :) (but i got tiered in the night :D)

thanks for the explain^^

i flashed the modded bios you have posted here and sometimes when i turn into standby,he doesn´t wake up anymore...

EDIT: seems the BIOS file have 5 vBIOS... 2 for 620M and 3 for 650m as far as my searching goes and i count right...