Thinking of upgrading GX740 CPU...

EricTViking

I'm thinking of upgrading my GX740 CPU from i5 to i7 - do you reckon the upgrade is worth the money and time?

I mean, the i7 should be about a 3rd as fast again as the i5, but will this be noticable in actual use?

Only the 920XM/940XM is worth upgrading to and overclocking via Throttlestop. The i7-7xx and 8xx cannot sustain Turbo Boost for more than a couple seconds (if even that) and are almost pointless upgrades.

You can also upgrade your GPU to a 7970m if you mod the heatsink.

It all depends on your reasons for upgrading. And it doesn't take much time to upgrade the CPU in almost any MSI machine (they are quite possibly the easiest and fastest to upgrade).

• Thumbs Up 2

Cheers for the tips Xonar, I use the GX740 for coding - .Net winforms and asp.net so processing power is handy as I'm building and running development code all day long.

Also do a fair bit of gaming but find the performance is Ok for what I'm playing (Battlefield/COD) so not too worried about gfx.

Could I fit an 840qm without any mods?

Yes, you can fit a 720,740,820,840qm without any mods, but like I've stated above it's almost pointless unless you go straight for the 920/940XM. Otherwise you're stuck at the lowest turbo ratio for the CPU, which is 1.86ghz, but a 920/940XM can go up to 3.5ghz on all four cores if you have the cooling for it. That's literally double the frequency on four cores.

I would put the money into a good SSD, then in a year or so if you still love the machine grab a i7-9xx. I had a i7 in my GX740 for a few minutes but never got to test it, sadly my friends computer wouldnt post with my i5 so we couldnt do the trade.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi TS and All. I think is no reason to upgrade from i5 to i7. i7-720qm average 10% faster than i5. Today i have thought about moving to 920-940qm.

But the first i'll look for a good SSD for laptop. the whoole system becomes more responsive, i think you'll like it.

p.s. there are no discoloration and random pixels yet :-)

• 1 month later...