[GUIDE] NVIDIA VBIOS flashing

svl7

Hi, would just like to make a quick inquiry. If I used the nvflash tool that lets me work from command prompt, will it flash the card just as well? If I must do it the long way that's fine, but it'd be nicer if I could do it without wiping my drive, flashing, then re-making it into a bootable win 7 drive like it is now.

The risk of bricking the card is greater, it takes like 5 seconds extra to do it in dos. And making it bootable again takes like 1 minute.

No, it's just an unlocking of the BIOS. If you want to overclock, you could overclock it. But the BIOS simply disables GPU boost for consistency and such. It doesn't really BOOST performance, it's meant to let you be more easily able to boost your performance on your own.

well im trying to flash the gtx 650 ultra bay and its giving me an error. i was able to save the old bios but not flash it.

heres the command line im running

nvflash -i1 -6 vbios.rom

my file is names vbios.rom and from the id its 1 so it looks good to me but here's the pic that it gives me

IMG_20131002_235126_zpsc1a879e7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i went to flash my 650m ultrabay on my y500 and it said Firmware image PCI subsystem ID (17AA.3970) does not match adapter PCI subsystem ID (17AA.3972). What does that mean and how can i fix it?

Edit: Nevermind i figured it out!

Hey svl7, I created the bootable usb pendrive and everything went good, I flashed did all the commands but I didn't know how to save the bios, I looked for my filename of my respective bios before do the flash, and I also flashed and it asked me two times to press ''yes'', I did and made a beep sound and at the end it said it flashed sucessful, I pressed CTRL + ALT + DEL and went to the system, but the vbios was the same I started with!

Hi here, i am new to this forum i found searching how to disable the gpu boost.

I am very pleased to find these informations, as i own two titans for months now and am really happy to be able to unleash them. This gpu boost is more than annoying me and the 85% fan limited speed too.

Getting everything ready and ride on.

Thanx svl7 ! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have a MSI gt60 2od-026us and downloaded the GTX780m bios as listed and followed the instructions for a dos flash. The flash went through good with following all the steps properly with the -6 option. Well after I reboot into windows, within GPU-z or the device manager the Intel HD 4600 is listed but the GTX 780m is listed as a default windows 8 display card. I try reinstalling the NVidia drivers and they cannot find any NVidia hardware. Tried rebooting a couple of times with no luck with finding the NVidia card. even after removing the drivers in the control panel. So I reboot and re-flash back to the stock bios. The card is immediately found. I have tried this twice with the same results. Any Ideas.... ?

If you need more information let me know. If you need screen shots I can re-flash back to the modded bios again and take pics.

Thank-you

Adam

Hi I have a MSI gt60 2od-026us and downloaded the GTX780m bios as listed and followed the instructions for a dos flash. The flash went through good with following all the steps properly with the -6 option. Well after I reboot into windows, within GPU-z or the device manager the Intel HD 4600 is listed but the GTX 780m is listed as a default windows 8 display card. I try reinstalling the NVidia drivers and they cannot find any NVidia hardware.

Then you need to use a modified .inf in order to install the driver.

@ svl7 Duh (face palm)... I totally forgot about that... Its been a while since I have used modified bios. I am not sure if members know about www.laptopvideo2go.com but I have been using them since the go7900 series days and have found them to be a good repository for modified NVidia drivers for laptops.

@ Klem The modified bios works great The voltage is still locked out but I was not really interested in changing that anyway. I was able to boost the clock to 202 over and the memory to 330 over and snagged a score of 8795 on 3dmark Fire Strike. up from 8426. So a very nice increase. Again thank-you every one for your help. If it is ok with you Klem and if svl7 wants to add the modified bios to the repository he can. it did not even require a -6 switch during the install. The hardware strings were identical.

Again Thank-you

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

hi i have a gtx clevo w370et with a gtx660m is there a problem if use the - Nvidia GTX 660m Vbios - GHz Edition [Dell]?

i tried the -a, -b and -6 command and all of them gave a break, the laptop starts to beep forever and i need to restart.

am i doing everthing right??

thanks

thanks

Th