[GUIDE] NVIDIA VBIOS flashing

svl7

• 1 month later...

Hello

I'm trying to flash vbios on my m18x with unlocked a9 and nvidia gtx 660m. All steps goes well exept last one when it starts flashing rom. it gives me this error

EEprom erase failed

Error: software write protection enabled, unable to erase eeprom

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edit: I figured out did nvflash -r command before flashing rom file and worked

For some reason the nvflash link doesn't work when I boot into dos and do nvflash -a the program hangs up and I have to reboot. is there anywhere I can get a working version?

I have always used the windows version for both desktop and laptop flashing and have never had a problem. best one is nvflash version 5.118 if you wan't to do it with CMD within windows.. Dunno about Dos way. .

GL ;)

@svl7: I've completed the modified vbios flash on my Clevo 680m; will let you know if anything out of the ordinary happens. As an alternative suggestion, I created my bootable flash drive with Rufus (Rufus - Create bootable USB drives). Fantastic utility: standalone exe, no installing; and you can choose MSDOS or FreeDOS, or an ISO image if desired.

Hi All, I am trying to complete this flash on an AW M18xR1. I got a weird warning after entering the flash command and decided to abort. It was "Warning: firmware image PCI subsystem ID (10DE.0964) does not match adapter PCI Subsystem (1028.048F). Press Y to override PCI Subsystem ID." Is this message here because the 680M is not native on the M18xR1, because the modded vbios is MSI (I think), or perhaps another reason? Do you believe it is safe to continue with the flash? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you flash the wrong vbios version in the windows cmd how would you be able to flash the old version back? NVflash does not recognize my card in DOS... and so the only way for me to flash a vbios is via the cmd in windows as described in the next post.

For some reason the nvflash link doesn't work when I boot into dos and do nvflash -a the program hangs up and I have to reboot. is there anywhere I can get a working version?

A solution to this problem vie the windows cmd is available here:

Which Nvflash version to use for GTX 680M?

the attachment is about something else, i don't know how to remove it

post-10348-1449499434831_thumb.png

Hey man,

about the commands

are filename and vbiosname just there to tell us to put in the names of the files on the usb stick?

If it's in this case, the file name would be vbois.rom, correct?

Also, I'm considering to flash my two 680ms , and use msi afterburner to overlock it. Aft4er flashing, do I just adjust the core clock and memory clock to overlock the cards, or do I have to considered other values to make it stable?

ps:Sorry for the english, not my mother tongue.....:smug:

Offcourse the names in the EXAMPLE are not the real names...:50_002:

Use the name of the bios that you downloaded and are you using for this mod....how would the author know what version of Bios everybody would be using??....or you could rename you bios to match the TUTORIAL EXAMPLE but that would leave you clueless if you wanted to know what bios version you have on your disk :uncomfortableness:

Got sli680m on clevo p370em, bought it from eurocom. What are the potential risk if I falsh them? And why would that happen?

Also, If I overlock the cards too much, do they just go like blue screen and reboot to defults, or do they go permanantly wasted?!

I'm new to this and I know i've been asking a lot of questions 0w0, thanks anyway......

Hi! I had the same problem... Someone told me to use the Windows 98 DOS Files to make a bootable drive... This allowed nvflash to work.

Best regards

Phila

You have to use the latest version of nvflash (5.127), any older version will not recognise the 680m.

The hp flash tool in the first post has the Windows 98 DOS files/folder for the DOS commandline functions. You dont need to copy the files themselfs manually because that will mess the usb key's boot sequence and actually try to boot basic function from DOS and that is not what you are looking for.

Just format the usb key with the selected folder and you are done.

you wont be able to see the files manually as they are flagged as forced hidden system files but if you leave the key in the laptop and reboot, it will work.

at this stage you just copy the (blablaname)bios.rom and nvflash tool and you should be good to go.

Hello members,

Question, My Alienware M18x R2 has 2 Clevo(I think) Nvidia GTX 680M 4Gb video cards just installed. Loaded windows 7 pro64. In device manager one video card is seen the other has a yellow triangle with (!) inside. Anyone have an idea of whaT i need to do to correct this. The purpose is to overclock the machine. Thanks for your help.

I'm so excited. It's been weeks since I've been reading this. I think tomorrow I can download the files. So i can finally do the OCing. Can't wait to flash the card XD. BTW, for the new guys who read this, the reply system isn't too bad. Think about it, if i were to able to download the files the first day. I may as well bricked my card already. But to have 5 post require me to do readings so this helps you toget more experience before getting to do it. So thanks the admin to improvise this and reading the replies before allowing the post