[GUIDE] NVIDIA VBIOS flashing

svl7

Hi, I'm new to the community but I'm trying to squeeze the most out of a 680M in a Clevo and have seen suggestions of using Dox's:

modified drivers in addition to the modified vbios. Any benefit to that or do I just increase my risk of something getting screwed up?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10.11.2016 at 5:30 PM, raindrop said:

My gtx 780m in Clevo P170sm just died, looking to replace it with 880m. I'm new to this domain, so looking all over the place and found this. just trying to make some post to have enough permission to download this thing.

I belive that You need at last 5 posts to download "stuff" from techinferno.

Edited by Ponury Typ

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys.

Need help in flashing (in Windows) my Clevo build 980m back to stock for an RMA due to extreme throttling and overheating.  

It has been so long since I flashed my Premamod bios, I dont remember the flashing method I used.  However I know I did it within windows, not bootable USB. I do not have a flash drive handy not an external cd drive for this laptop.

I of course saved my stock bios in case of the need to return, but would very much appreciate being pointed in the right direction for instructions and links to the proper version of nvflash for windows 10 x64.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hey guys.

Need help in flashing (in Windows) my Clevo build 980m back to stock for an RMA due to extreme throttling and overheating.  

It has been so long since I flashed my Premamod bios, I dont remember the flashing method I used.  However I know I did it within windows, not bootable USB. I do not have a flash drive handy not an external cd drive for this laptop.

I of course saved my stock bios in case of the need to return, but would very much appreciate being pointed in the right direction for instructions and links to the proper version of nvflash for windows 10 x64.

Any help greatly appreciated.

It's most likely a bad thermal compound. Start from there mate. GC-Extreme is what I use.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi good people, 

Can somebody PLEASE help me with my case?!

I have MSI GT70 notebook. It came with factory GTX 670M 3GB (which is dead now) and a friend of mine gave me DELL Alienware GTX 680M 2GB. The card is on working state, but it seems that something is not as it should be. The thing is, when I put the card in, sometimes the notebook recognizes it, but most of the time NOT and fails to work, and when it fails it won't recover again until I restart. Then when I restart, the notebook freezes and I should turn it off by unplugging it, wait for 10-15min. plug and power on again. Same thing again, again and again. Also, when I'm on GTX the notebook lags and works very slow, freezes, the screen flashes-recovers and so on. But when I pull of the GPU, my notebook works flawlessly (with Intel HD 4000). The very moment I put it back, the notebook starts lagging, crashing, rebooting by itself, etc etc. 

The reason I am writing here is that I NEED HELP if somebody can tell me what should I do to make the card compatible and work with my MSI, knowing that it's Dell Alienware GPU (and I saw on forums that I can use this type of GPU on MSI notebook):

Will flashing vBIOS help in my case?

I found 3 vBIOS:

DELL 2GB ->                      https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/128059/dell-gtx680m-2048-120611
MSI 2GB (unverified) ->   https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/154729/154729
MSI 4GB (verified) ->       https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/131796/msi-gtx680m-4096-120604

Wich one of these should I flash on to my Alienware 680M?

Will flashing vBIOS make the GPU compatible with MSI, and if YES, can someone PLEASE  tell me and show me the procedures and steps of how should I do that flashing and what vBIOS files should I use.

Thank you in advance,
JS.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is great. I'll certainly be carefully performing this operation once things stop being so hectic with university. My main issues are mainly with the firmware throttling of the system causing all and sundry games to break. Running the Y510p and I kept getting the firmware has throttled x core event coupled with games that should have run trivially crashing or freezing. Glad to know that it's probably not entirely my fault

On 9.04.2014 at 5:00 PM, ntam said:

Hi inches!, could you send me a link where did you buy your card from, share the link please.

18 hours ago, Fetaznapleta said:

Yes, I would say it is safe.

Yup, thanks, just flashed msi bios to clevo card under windows 10 all is working great.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*FIXED* Used the GPU switch to change between dedicated and onboard, when I switched it back to dedicated the bios shows as modded.

Hi, I have a 780m in my AW17 and I've flashed the bios no problem with 'Nvidia GTX 780m - 'OC edition' - rev02'. No errors or anything, however when I go back into windows Nvidia Inspector shows the bios as the original (80.04.AF.00.03) not as the new modded SVL7 one and all the overclock options are still limited as if its still stock. Its strange though because if i relaunch NVFlash it shows the flashed bios as the new modded one (80.04.B3.00.10)...

This is the first time using a modded vbios so im guessing im missing something...? I've not done anything within windows, ie drivers etc. Its using the most current Nvidia driver 

Thanks for your help in advance guys

Edited by SteveMonk

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys so i tried to flash my ultrabay 650m in my lenovo y500 with the files provided here:

i had to --protectoff to even get the process starting..

it ran through and it said the flash is completed..

i restartet and nvidiainspector doesnt recognize a modified bios nor does it let me get past the 135 limit.. everything seems to be the same.. what can i do??

IMG_20170531_215744.jpg

something wrong with the pcie subsystem?

i have the modded 2.04. bios does this vbios only work when i have a modded 2.02 bios?

Edited by BigBuddha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there, does anyone have bios for GTX 970 from MSI gaming? I mean overclocked bios, i have troubles with mine, cant go more then 1450mhz on core with 1.241v, in msi AB. Games may crush and "device has been removed". I have 71% asic

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I need a vbios for My Alienware M15X to upgrade GPU to DELL  Geforce GTX 680M .  Please share if you have. (I have problemes with installation of drivers, even then ****.inf  file is modded - system boots with black screen). 

P.S. Tried to download this file, but I have no permission... 

Regards.

Edited by Yidaki

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/2/2018 at 1:35 PM, HankGunn said:

Is there any benefit to this at all if you're not OCing and things are running smoothly?

The whole reason you'd do this is to try to squeeze a little more performance out of the rig. If you don't intend to do that and things are running smoothly, then no.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I've successfully modded my Dell 680m bios (Svl7's Dell 680m 80.04.33.00.32_'OCedition'_revised 1.0.0), it appears.

On Uniengine the specs read an increased 759/1800. Do I need to use something like afterburner, to get that performance? Or is the GPU just set to that now?

• 1 year later...

Hello Everyone,

i am trying to flash a Clevo GTX 880m in a MSI GT70

I followed the guide (and looked at several others on other forums too) but upon booting from usb and trying to run either NVFLASH or NVFLASH64 with any of the options i get the error "This program cannot be run in DOS mode" (i have made sure from several sources that the NVflash version i am using is the DOS version.

Though i am able to use NVflash64 commands (both the DOS version and windows version) while in windows.

"NVflash64 -a" detects the GTX 880m in my system.

but any other commands (e.g trying to flash bios named 880m.rom with NVflash64 -6 880m.rom) gives me the error "I/O ERROR: Cannot open file: 880m.rom"

i have tried this with both DOS version and Windows version (within windows CMD because it doesnt work at all in DOS mode)

Any suggestions??