[Guide] M15x with Nvidia GTX 660m

svl7

Hello,

If I want to upgrade from 260m, do I need to remove the motherboard as well or just remove the chip from the mobo and replace it with the 660m one? sorry..I still a noob :)

Just the graphics card, the M15X is pretty easy to upgrade. =]

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello, all :)

I've tried All version Ghz, overclock, even a dell version from http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks.html but I get the ID mismatch error.

Also my system recognizes card as dell but as svl7 said the nvidia inspector recognizes card according to what is on the system.

Any ideas?

Finally!

I found out, that doing things in the right order sometimes helps ;-)

After flashing the vBios in the first post in this thread a clean install of the NVidia-Drivers was needed - and suddenly everything (including Display Port and laptop display) work fine.

My mistake was, that I flashed the vbios over and over, but there was no automatic detection of the activated diaplay port.

So thanks a lot svlt7 for providing help and bios!

Regards WAHNfred

What do you mean exactly by fresh install? I've tried official nvidia drivers, techpowerup drivers, and the one at the beginning of the thread but am still drawing up a blank on the displayport. Can you clarify "NVidia-Drivers"? Which ones do you mean the offical drivers or the *.inf posted in beginning of thread?

Flashed my card still doesn't work on display port (with new cable).

Also found this link pertinent to installing nvidia drivers from their site (both legacy and beta drivers):

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/513621/installer-cannot-continue-the-graphics-driver-could-not-find-compatible-graphics-hardware-installer-/

Am going to tinker some more tonight. Will post update on results over the weekend.

Cheers to all :)

Hey All,

Results of further testing:

Used the following drivers for the test:

Geforce 310.54 Beta Driver (supports DP 1.2)

Drivers | GeForce

1). Displayport - DVI-D: Looks good no 120hz (knew this already, tried it anyway)

2). Displayport cable wit support for DP 1.2 and DP 1.1a - no picture

Will continue to post results till I'm successful with Displayport.

• 4 weeks later...
svl7 heeeelllllp!!! Displayport still not functioning on m15x nvidia 660m with Samsung S27A950D. Any more ideas?

I would be curious as to if anyone found a solution to this as well.

Also, are all the 660Ms the same? Is there a Dell one that fits better in to the M15x? Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I've since returned the samsung s27a950d and have gotten Asus's 144hz 27" monitor. I'm still also having the issue where no active adapters work and am currently only able to go up to 80hz with hdmi :-( I have the Eurocom gtx 660m upgrade kit card (with out copper shim) and am wondering if the missing copper shim could be the culprit. Any ideas? anyone?

Also none of the active displayport to dvi-d adapters ever worked (including the dual link active one). I'm wondering if it has something to do with the vbios or missing copper shim. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thks E.

You use the vbios I provided in the first post, right?

I'm a bit at loss here, it worked perfectly fine for me. You could try some other vbios, but the problem is that it might cause issues with your card. I have some other versions which might make a difference for you.

You say you can go up to 80Hz with HDMI... what do you mean with this? M15x hasn't got HDMI out, only DP. Does it work in some cases or what?

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, when I say I get HDMI upto 80hz I mean through an displayport to hdmi adapter.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm at a lost as well cause I'm able to do displayport to dvi and hdmi with no problem just as long as the adapters are not active.

Sounds like a voltage issue (maybe not enough power hitting the displayport).

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe its just another messed up dp -> dvi-d adapter. I'll compile my laptop specs later on so that you could see what I'm working with.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes I used the vbios originally posted in the beginning of this post.

Also on previous S27A950D monitor I got 120hz through dp -> hdmi adapter but with screen artifacts and in some cases no artifacts but annoying screen blanking every time I switched between programs and frequent intervals while watching video.

Am going to reflash card now and install a fresh copy of nvidia's latest drivers (shimmied of course) to see if it works. In the meantime, even though your modded inf file (from page 1) is a different format from nvidia's latest driver inf file(s) do you think your modded inf file would still work with nvidia's latest driver?

Hey, I've noticed something about the overclock bios for this card (nvidia gtx 660m). The Ghz overclock edition doesn't allow to get any hz higher than 60 hertz through dp -> hdmi adapter whereas the other version allows me to go up to 80hz! Could some of the settings within that version of the bios help with the dp -> dual link dvi-d adapter issue?

As a side note: I think the dp -> dvi-d dual link adapter issue is mostly an issue with these monitor makers as I was able to get 120hz with a dp -> hdmi adapter on the samsung (though with artifacts and blacking out but was able to set it nonetheless).

The inf file probably still works. Not sure why the overclocked vbios has issue with the 80Hz. An active dual link dvi adapter should work fine for 120Hz, if I remember correctly @iloveb00bs used it quite a while ago on an older AW system.

• 2 weeks later...

HI Guys, I am new to Techinferno, and have stumbled upon your site because I have just installed a GTX660M card from Eurocom, into my M15x.

I am having the same problem as one of the first posts on this thread... My analogue VGA output is working, but not the internal laptop screen.

It looks like I need to install the vBios as described earlier on, but because I am new to the forum, I am not allowed to download it.

Is there anywhere else I can get the vBios from??

Thanks for your help, I look forward to your replies.

Hi again,

Sorry to be writing back so soon, I am getting a bit anxious about getting the 660m card working with the internal display.

I think I am up to my 5th post now, so hopefully I will now be able to download the vBios on the first post.

I know svl7 has said that the cards from Eurocom are Clevo cards, so I will flash that vBios. I'm a bit hesitant because I am not entirely sure if this is definately a Clevo card or not, and I'm not sure if flashing the wrong one will brick the card...

I have emailed Eurocom support, but I haven't heard back from them yet... not sure if they can help me anyway, unless they can send me a Dell card??

BTW: Thanks svl7 for all of your modding efforts with this card. Looking through different threads it looks like you know these cards well :joyous:

• 2 weeks later...

So...

I decided to flash the GHZ version to my card, and it now runs fine with the internal screen!

One thing... I have noticed that GPU-Z and HWiNFO64 are both reporting the maximum clock speed as 699.5Mhz

Any ideas why this would be?

GPU-Z does also say that the default clock is at 1000Mhz but it never seems to get there. (Maximum load on the core is 99.0%)

Scratch that, I found the issue.

Not sure why but it seemed to be Stealth Mode causing the problem.

Although it was not on when I was doing the tests, all I needed to do was activate Stealth Mode, then deactivate it again.

Core clocks are now maxing out at 999.8MHZ!

• 4 weeks later...

hello to all,

can anybody tell me where to put the thermal pads on a dell Nvidia GTX660m that i just purchased to upgrade the Nvidia GTX260m that was in my Alienware M15x, thankyou.

Card arrived this morning and installed fine with 1.0mm copper shim, kept the thermal pads that were on the heatsink from the Nvidia 260m for the time being, system picks up the card, internal monitor is working fine but drivers from Nvidia will not install, so i downloaded drivers from eurocom (why i dont know) as its a dell card i thought i'd just give it ago. They also failed to install "card not supported" or works to that effect. can some body assist me with this problem please, thankyou.