[Guide] M15x with Nvidia GTX 660m

svl7

right i've mod the inf file myself and now have the driver installed on the latest nvidia driver 314.07 and its working perfectly inc brightness,Audio,DP and internal monitor. and to make me even more of a happy chappy its actualy a 2GB card not the 1GB a advertised :D

been playing bf3 for well over 1hr and temps bounce between 84-87c top high for my liking so i will repaste once my new thermal pads arrive.

can any body tell me where i cover on the graphic cards with the thermal pads please ?

thankyou.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the same place as b00ts. Just got an installed the 660m, got drivers installed fine. However, I'm not getting anything on my internal display, only through vga. Hopefully the vbios in this thread will fix that, but I've got to wait until this forum will allow me to download it, as a I just joined this forum while looking around for solutions.

Hey guys, wanted to post another 660m in M15x result.

Done the install, works great via VGA, but internal screen flashes with what looks like 8bit colors and green instead of black. Anyone had this before?

Also, the card I got was pulled out from an M17x apparently. Hence it might be the reason why it is causing the low color bit / green instead of black issue.

It is running about 60deg C max for me with 1mm copper shim.

Also pretty much used thermal pad for all the mem chips and die on the card.

Just an update.

Tried to flash the 2gb 660m card with the 1st post's vbios (ghz and non ghz versions). Unable to as both give "Board ID mismach" errors. Must be because the vbios that I downloaded were for clevo cards, not dell. My card was lifted from a m17x.

This is a copy of the 660m 2gb vbios if anyone finds it useful.

UPDATE:

Tried to flash the bios from this link:

VGA Bios Collection: Dell GTX 660M 2048 MB | techPowerUp

Was able to flash as had the right device ID. Checked before flashing also, and there was a mismatch, but was still able to flash.

Did not solve the internal screen problem though.

Tried Svl7's 660m OC vbios. Was good for letting me use the displayport + VGA (+the green internal display) compared to the original (only let me use VGA, and internal screen only). This is what I've stuck with for now. The internal display is still shown as per the pictures though.

Also attached an example of my green screen below:

660M2GBOLD.zip

post-11798-14494994887286_thumb.jpg

post-11798-1449499488749_thumb.jpg

So I have a few questions about the GTX 660m on the M15x. I have installed the card (Clevo) and it works on my external display but not the internal monitor. To make it work I need to flash the card with its appropriate VBIOS? Also, the VBIOS you have attached, is it for the 1GB or 2GB card?

Did you buy the 1gb or the 2gb card? I am unable to flash my 2gb card with this thread's vbios.

Tried to overclock my video card today with an external monitor. Attached is a picture of a normal external monitor picture. Internal monitor picture on the laptop still exhibits the green hue as previous post.

Was able to overclock the memory, but the all important core did not upclock as per the settings. The GPU clock is set at 900, but the current clock is still at 835.

Here is a picture of that below as well.

I think my 2gb 660m video card is different to the ones that have been used before, where both the internal screen and the overclocking worked with the OC vbios. The 660m OC Vbios was obtained from here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks.html

Also tried the Ghz edition of the Dell 660M vbios. Default clocks raised, but they never go beyond the 850 core and 2500 memory speeds which is a puzzle. My 660M 2gb card has a newer vbios than what svl7 used, mine is 80.07.57.00.02. The internal monitor's green screen still stayed. No fixes yet.

For all people reading, there appear to be two distinct types of cards: clevo or dell. Only try to flash the vbios of the identical brand. Flashing it with the other brand would not work, if forced may brick your card or require a blind flash as memory timings are different.

Thanks to anyone who can help out with my green internal monitor problem.

post-11798-1449499489129_thumb.jpg

post-11798-14494994891481_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update: the screen anomalies were most likely due to a physical cabling / connection problem. For some reason I turned on the laptop today and the problem appears to have fixed itself. It would reoccur however when I try to fully extend the monitor in to its most fully open position. I checked all the cabling for the monitor 2 weeks ago and couldn't find anything loose. It must be something wrong with either the cabling, or a loose connection further inside the monitor.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. So I have an M15X with the old 260M, I just bought a 660M off Ebay which was supposedly ripped from a M17X. I've plugged the card in and put all the heatsink back in, however when turning the laptop on, the GPU fan runs at max, nothing displays and the scroll/caps/numlock lights flash. Not sure what I can really do here, it's not displaying anything via VGA. Any help would be most appreciated. I haven't uninstalled the previous drivers nor updated the bios.

**EDIT** I just flashed A09 bios, however this has still not rectified my problem. I'm 100% sure it's a DELL card. Any possible solutions are most welcome.

The M15X is somewhat upgraded as well, however there shouldn't be a compatability issue should there? Specs as follows;

i7-940XM Extreme Processor (Stock clocks)

8GB DDR3 RAM

240GB Intel SSD

and now the GTX660M

Also seems as though the previous 260M is now just making everything Green too. :\

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, well I sent the 660 back as it appears to have been DOA, there was no explicable reason why it didn't work, so the people I bought it from on Ebay were nice enough to refund me the money.

Also, I purchased a 670MX instead and have fitted this, laptop boots up perfectly now, however the screen keeps cutting into a pink haze and sometimes switches back (rarely) could this be the screen or is this the card or what? Seems a bit weird, it was happening with the 260M previously as well.

If it was happening with the 260m as well then I'd guess the issue is the screen or screen connector. Or maybe the MXM socket. First of all check the screen cable.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, I am. Also confirmed by the technician:

"Hi Jan,

I’ve been informed that your card has been replaced and has shipped out today! We were able to get you a Dell card for your replacement as well, so you should have full HDMI functionality on it."

Do only Dell cards have HDMI functionality?

• 9 months later...

hello my pc cant detect my 660m 2gb its an alienware m15x my bios is A09 i had a 460m in it when i got the 660m then it wont let me use the card tryed installing nvidia drivers and got an error hardware undetected and it is not in my hardware manager help plz.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Fans run at maximum? Use HWinfo32 to solve the problem?

usually users use HWiNFO to make their fans run at maximum. What it could be is the hardware temp sensor is malfunctioning or reporting wrong especially if your gpu is not stock theres a chance for that. Maybe HWiNFO will let you override them while they are at max and make a fan table based on temps. It is definitely worth a try.