Overclocking Gt555m Question?

cjrulz101

Recently ive been trying to overclock the Gt555m to Core 760 Shader 1520 Memory 970 using Nvidia System Tools. Monitoring Temps with Gpu-Z and HW Monitor and benchmarking using Borderlands 2 on max. Okay so the question ive been meaning to ask is when i overclock it to those settings i get like 55 fps ingame but ive been monitoring temps and it resets once it hits 74 degrees well on gpuz it goes from Core 760 Shader 1520 Memory 970 to like Core 202 shader 400 and memory 900 so i was wondering how can i keep it overclocked cause i know 74 degrees isnt high. 85 degrees is pretty hot. But how can i keep it running overclocked at those settings without it resetting?

Also when the clocks drop my fps drops to like 10...

Please help ASAP

Ty in Advance ;)

What do you mean "resetting"? Because it will not reset unless you manually downclock by yourself, the what seem to be resetting, actually it wont, it is the work of the Optimus that it will auto-downclock the clockspeed whenever you're not in game, once you launch the game and NVIDIA control panel detect it, your GPU will auto clock up to the speed you set when you OC it.

The only time that your clock drop will be when you're on Power Saver mode or on battery.

• 3 weeks later...
Recently ive been trying to overclock the Gt555m to Core 760 Shader 1520 Memory 970 using Nvidia System Tools. Monitoring Temps with Gpu-Z and HW Monitor and benchmarking using Borderlands 2 on max. Okay so the question ive been meaning to ask is when i overclock it to those settings i get like 55 fps ingame but ive been monitoring temps and it resets once it hits 74 degrees well on gpuz it goes from Core 760 Shader 1520 Memory 970 to like Core 202 shader 400 and memory 900 so i was wondering how can i keep it overclocked cause i know 74 degrees isnt high. 85 degrees is pretty hot. But how can i keep it running overclocked at those settings without it resetting?

Please help ASAP

Ty in Advance ;)

Unless your drivers crash which can occur when using too high clock speeds I think it has to do with your power options.

Unless your drivers crash which can occur when using too high clock speeds I think it has to do with your power options.

I dont think it has something to do with the power option, because I always on Power Saver and whenever I play BF3 (in Windows Mode), the GPU will auto OC as usual, Balance and High Performance also the same, though the only time where those option will be override is when you play on the battery.

• 2 weeks later...
I dont think it has something to do with the power option, because I always on Power Saver and whenever I play BF3 (in Windows Mode), the GPU will auto OC as usual, Balance and High Performance also the same, though the only time where those option will be override is when you play on the battery.

Actually pci express power savings and stuff differs from balanced, power saver and performance. Your gpu in advanced power options of windows on nvidia and amd can have an option that states power saver or performance on the gpu.

I think you cant avoid the temperature limit. I was on 580m and on the overvolt bios had the same issue...if it got to upper 70s it would throtle and or crash from throttle. I suggest working to get temps down. Work a lower gpu overclock. See if core or vram is adding more heat on either and find a happy medium. You may find just a small drop on one keeps your temps just right. Often vram overclock adds more heat than core but both contribute. If your capable repaste if you can improve and check thermal pad position. I found on my 7970m that if one pad was even a mm off it could add a few degrees. You can see residue where pads were on opposite surface of heatsink and gpu when repasting which should help if you need to repostition the pads a little for best clverage of your vram, capacitors, volt regulatora etc.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

Please help ASAP

Ty in Advance ;)

I have an M14x R1 gt555m, Ive found that the best software is EVGA 2.1.2, (the newest one wont work on this gpu), Im getting Core 752 Shader 1054 and Memory 1080 and works very stable, never crashed. Once i got it to 764 CORE and MEMORY 1080 and after 30min-1hr it crashed, sometimes after the crash, the GPU driver just restarted and kept with overclock, sometimes just restarted and went standard config, and sometimes went blue screen :S (just happened once), so I got scared and wend down by a bit. I really recommend you C 752 S 1054 M 1080.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With my R1 I have always run 760 core/1170 memory without issue, using MSI Afterburner as the overclock tool. This is without any BIOS mods either. I think that the overclock is more important today than ever considering the age of the GT 555M, and is almost necessary playing the newest games.

Off topic: Sorry for resurrect this topic, but i having lag spike(1-3seconds) while gaming in full screen 1600x900 which occurs for every 1-2 minutes gameplay , i wonder if OC gt555m will solve this problem, not to mention the temperature is the problem as my gpu temp was around 69c and also thinking that 1TB 5400rpm HDD causing these lag, i need advise