[M17x R4] Delivered with A08 Bios version

Hello

2 days ago my new R4 arrived and will replace my good friend M1730.

One of my first task, checking for updates. and then I discovered a strange thing. My R4 has a Bios Version A08. I checked the delivery slip and all components build in. No It's not a R3 it is a real R4 (check my signature).

To prove this I uploaded a picture from the Bios Page.

How is that possible ?

Did missed something ?

cheers

tom

post-6018-14494993665728_thumb.jpg

• Founder

Hi, welcome to T|I! So what is the issue with it having A08?

Edit: Ok I see why you're wondering since A05 is the latest on their website. The answer is that Dell tends to issue bios updates internally that go to the manufacturing line but sometimes are not available on the website.

Guest Alienware-Natalia_J

When BIOS versions are released in the lab, usually it´s put in the systems that are in production at the moment, and it takes about a month for the official release on the Dell´s driver site after that. With that being said, I still do not understand the jump either, I will definitely look into that.

I don't understand why Dell takes another month before posting to the web.

If it is good for new build system, it is more important that M17x R4 owners would need it as it could fix their issues or enhance their user experiences.

At least, when Dell decided to implement on new build system, they should be ready for current owners as well.

So, when can we expect to see A08 on Dell supprt site?

Another Swiss member :) Welcome to T|I [MENTION=6018]Thomas Zumbrunnen[/MENTION] !

Interesting... A08, I don't know (yet) what they changed but it seems AW revised all the bios of the current systems. Dell / AW recently started with the really bad habit of not posting any changelog for the bios updates anymore... this really sucks. I really hope [MENTION=4664]Alienware-Natalia_J[/MENTION] or another Dell rep can give us some more information, not only about this new, upcoming release, but also about the past updates. It really doesn't make any sense posting an update without telling what it fixes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Another Swiss member :) Welcome to T|I [MENTION=6018]Thomas Zumbrunnen[/MENTION] !

Interesting... A08, I don't know (yet) what they changed but it seems AW revised all the bios of the current systems. Dell / AW recently started with the really bad habit of not posting any changelog for the bios updates anymore... this really sucks. I really hope [MENTION=4664]Alienware-Natalia_J[/MENTION] or another Dell rep can give us some more information, not only about this new, upcoming release, but also about the past updates. It really doesn't make any sense posting an update without telling what it fixes.

I agree its pretty important to know what the bios update fixes or changes in case it ever was an issue in the future.

The dump probably contains your service tag... I temporarily removed the link, if you don't care about people knowing your tag, feel free to put it back online. Just wanted to warn you.

I'll take a look at it when I find time, might be able to provide a "clean" version. Not sure how it behaves when it comes to flashing a dump, but it could cause issues for users if they accidentally delete their own service tag by flashing your dump :)

Edit: If someone else has A08 and is willing to dump it, let me know. Would help a lot with cleaning up the dump.

just received my M4 last week and it had the A08 bios as well.

any news on what has changed? also, is there an unlocked version?

I noticed that I could select the overclocking options but that all the GPU settings were not selectable. It was possible to tweak the CPU and memory settings but not the GPU settings.

My laptop has a 680M b.t.w.

Its likely to prevent scenarios like like the following, if a major prob slipped through and x amount of systems shipped with that bios it is still less than if they also released it on the web. The whole would be hurt rather than the few systems that shipped, which likely would be taken care of at a much smaller cost. It's the liability and accountability my guess... plus a great reputation to maintain. :)

Sent from my Paranoid Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint using Tapatalk 2 Jelly Bean flavor included

Dell phone reps are usually pretty ill-informed, especially in Europe. They're just call center agents mostly with no technical background... you have to set your expectations pretty low before calling them :)

Anyway, I guess we'll see the new bios in the next one or two weeks. I'm not exactly sure what they all changed, is there a 'secure boot' option in A05?

Cool, thanks a lot for the news!! Same for the M14x R2 and M18x R2. I'll see that I can mod those as soon as possible, tomorrow or Saturday.

... and still no change log from Dell. I mean 'BIOS for Win7 / Win8' - you don't say oO

Seriously Dell... put a stop to this non-sense. It can't be that hard to release some information. And by the way, I'm sure the BIOS works for Linux as well... lol.