HP Probook 6460B Keyboard Replacement

I have the HP Elitebook 6930p and successfully exchanged the keyboard with an ebay version after I killed the Alt Gr key (once you don't have it anymore, you realize how often you need this key).

Swapping was very simple because HP designes their products to be as modular as possible. It was only 3 screws in the back and the 4 latches on the keyboard. AFAIK this does not even void your warranty (Phillips screws).

The only tricky thing is to get the flat cable back into the connector, but if you don't have 2 left hands this should be fairly easy.

As far as I understand Keyboards, they are all more or less the same only the printed characters differ. The computer interprets the keys with the help of the keymap(control panel), which of course has to match your physical keyboard in order to make any sense.

I honestly don't see anything you should be worried about, except the (sometimes exorbitant) price.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for the encouragement. I took the keyboard off mine and you were right, it makes sense that they can be interchanged as the keyboard is one unit plugged in by that flat cable. Found a US version for $30 shipped, not too shabby. Cannot wait to be free of this bilingual keyboard annoyance.

I have the HP Elitebook 6930p and successfully exchanged the keyboard with an ebay version after I killed the Alt Gr key (once you don't have it anymore, you realize how often you need this key).

Swapping was very simple because HP designes their products to be as modular as possible. It was only 3 screws in the back and the 4 latches on the keyboard. AFAIK this does not even void your warranty (Phillips screws).

The only tricky thing is to get the flat cable back into the connector, but if you don't have 2 left hands this should be fairly easy.

As far as I understand Keyboards, they are all more or less the same only the printed characters differ. The computer interprets the keys with the help of the keymap(control panel), which of course has to match your physical keyboard in order to make any sense.

I honestly don't see anything you should be worried about, except the (sometimes exorbitant) price.

• 2 years later...