nando4

DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 (previously Setup 1.x)

2028 posts in this topic

AcqKcth.png
Setup 1.30

j3junyB.png KPvnBEd.png 4EoyAFp.png tCFq0Ji.png ID1Nyjh.png XqpQnzj.png uK8H5u6.png bRuy5In.png

******urgent message:nando is in hospital following  a road accident and at this stage cannot supply the software until further notice of recovery but can be obtained from the downloads area.  Sincere apologies, his sister on behalf of nando *****

DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 (Jan-2016) >>US$25: Paypal to 1NG6ScX.png

Pls include a return email address in msg and TechInferno username if have one.
Check your INBOX and SPAM folders for a reply message.

Don't have Paypal but have a credit card? Please email me on 1NG6ScX.png instead.

Setup 1.30 now being distributed with many new features: Series-7/8 chipset support, Win8/10 support, polled eGPU detection, Macbook installation, 13" Macbook PCI compaction, 36/64-bit compaction matching DSDT override + more.

c6I96WA.png B8D36iA.png mh4X0vn.png 26PHcef.png GqLz4Gx.png nfsaawS.png

Above: sample screenshots from DIY eGPU Setup 1.20. Hitting F1 over a menuitem providing context-sensitive help

Above: second video's first 15s shows how to configure a GTX670 eGPU for use on a Acer 5750 using Setup 1.30 (details). Shown is how to configure the mPCIe port, perform PCI allocation of iGPU+eGPU, then chainload to Win7.  

Setup 1.30 is available with quite a few nice new features over the previous 1.0x versions. These include using the faster FreeDOS 1.1 platform with no licensing issues, larger disk image with 26MB free space, a html-text based help system, being able to run from Linux' grub2 bootloader, Series-6+ 2.5-5.0 GT/s southbridge PCIe port switching, link retraining, simpler grub4dos setup; additional Reassign buses, ALL port and root port anti-whitelisting method, significantly faster F5 and status refresh, consistent iGPU/dGPU/eGPU naming, mouse support, cache option to speedup startup.bat runtime, F4 the last command into your startup.bat, browse your NTFS/EXT2/EXT3 partitions, do screen capture using the ALT+DEL key, play a retrogame with ALT+G hotkey and numerous bug fixes. Looks quite a bit better too icon7.gif

Why would I need DIY eGPU Setup 1.30? >>>

Setup 1.30 is a FreeDOS environment used to configure your DIY eGPU before chainloading to your OS. Required if you:

• encounter Windows error 12:cannot allocate resources requiring automated PCI Reallocation or IGP relocation. Note: Win7/8 users may want to try a simpler 36-bit root bridge DSDT override instead of using Setup 1.30.
  • want to use x1E/x2E/x2/x4 higher performance pci-e links (x1E/x2E on Series-4 or older, x2/x4 on Series-5 or older chipsets)
  • want to set pci-e 1.0 (2.5GT/s) or pci-e 2.0 (5GT/s) link speed (Series-6 or newer chipset).
  • require mPCIe anti-whitelisting (HP/Lenovo) to allow a wifi slot to work with a PM3N
  • want to disable a dGPU in a hybrid graphics system to free up resources to host the eGPU
  • want to disable a dGPU in a hybrid graphics system to activate NVidia Optimus and if using a x1 link, engage x1 pci-e compression
  • want to initialize a NVidia video card prior to Windows boot to prevent hang/BSOD on startup or error43 in device Manager. Eliminates the need for a standby, attach, resume to overcome this problem.

23 people like this

I got a couple of questions.

Would this Setup 1.x allow me to disable white-listing checks imposed by Lenovo on a laptop like Y510? Not talking only about eGPU, for example I want to use another WiFi card instead of the original one, until a whitelisting modded bios emerges.

Also, can I use this program to disable the discrete Nvidia GPU 750M and enable the integrated Intel one? I understand this could be a hardware issue and I could end with nothing displaying on my screen, just asking.

I got a couple of questions.

Would this Setup 1.x allow me to disable white-listing checks imposed by Lenovo on a laptop like Y510? Not talking only about eGPU, for example I want to use another WiFi card instead of the original one, until a whitelisting modded bios emerges.

Also, can I use this program to disable the discrete Nvidia GPU 750M and enable the integrated Intel one? I understand this could be a hardware issue and I could end with nothing displaying on my screen, just asking.

If the notebook doesn't halt bootup with the 'unauthorized wifi card detected' then potentially Setup 1.1x could be used to allow another vendor's wifi card to work. That was what was used in [ALL ProBooks/Laptops in General] Our WiFi WhiteListing Days Are 0v3r! .

Setup 1.x can disable/enable the iGPU port on Series-5 or older systems (1st i-core or older) but it is only of value if the notebook has the iGPU wired through. More valuable is disabling the dGPU so an eGPU can use it's pci-e space instead as well as receive NVidia driver priority to enable Optimus features (internal LCD mode, x1 pci-e compression)>

1 person likes this

Hey Nando, got the setup in my signature working however I got a few issues/questions;

1) Should I be using grub4dos MBR, straight up "chainload MBR", bootmgr, or? I am currently using grub4dos MBR and it seems to be working but since it is Windows 7 I thought I should be using bootmgr, no?

2) iGPU + eGPU compaction doesn't seem to be working via your software. It says "no solution found" every time. Compact all PCI lanes doesn't seem to work either and just hangs the computer everytime. If I want better DX9 performance, what option should I choose for compaction? Maybe just the eGPU one? The first one (all except x,y, and z) does work but I am leary of compacting PCI lanes not related to my eGPU....GPU-Z currently displays "x1 2.0".

3) It seems I cannot set my PhysX processer to be my iGPU? It only gives me 2 options, CPU and the GTX650. I heard it is a good idea performance wise to atleast use the iGPU as the PhysX processer (is that true first of all?) so I'd like to be able to do that....

Thanks in advance Nando!

2012 13" Macbook Pro | 8GB Gskill RAM | 124GB Crucial M4 SSD | OS X + Windows 7 (MBR) + Linux

GTX650 Ti eGPU | 400w PSU | PE4L v2.1b | Sonnet Pro Adapter | Setup 1.2x

1 person likes this

Hey Nando, got the setup in my signature working however I got a few issues/questions;

1) Should I be using grub4dos MBR, straight up "chainload MBR", bootmgr, or? I am currently using grub4dos MBR and it seems to be working but since it is Windows 7 I thought I should be using bootmgr, no?

2) iGPU + eGPU compaction doesn't seem to be working via your software. It says "no solution found" every time. Compact all PCI lanes doesn't seem to work either and just hangs the computer everytime. If I want better DX9 performance, what option should I choose for compaction? Maybe just the eGPU one? The first one (all except x,y, and z) does work but I am leary of compacting PCI lanes not related to my eGPU....GPU-Z currently displays "x1 2.0".

3) It seems I cannot set my PhysX processer to be my iGPU? It only gives me 2 options, CPU and the GTX650. I heard it is a good idea performance wise to atleast use the iGPU as the PhysX processer (is that true first of all?) so I'd like to be able to do that....

Thanks in advance Nando!

'chainload mbr' is fine.. and in most cases works better than 'chainload bootmgr'. Hence why it's set as the default.

The PCI compaction will be dependent on the system and as such the list of combinations to try is shown if you hit F1. If "All except SATA+..." works then stick with it. A lot of BIOS/firmware doesn't pre-set devices on boot and depends on the OS to do it. When there is a huge chunk needed by the eGPU then it can confuse matters. Compact is doing what the firmware didn't do AND adding the eGPU into the allocation.

iGPU can't be used as a Physx processor. Only a NVidia dGPU/eGPU.

Anyone who is looking to convert their GPT disk to MBR please see below. I needed to do so in order to properly run this software for my HP 2570P laptop. In order to make this work, you'll need a Live-CD Linux that supports your network card (I used Backtrack 5, it has Intel 6205 drivers), a Windows 7/8 retail installation media (OEM won't work), and a few hours. I highly recommend that you make a system image using Windows Backup prior to starting, as there is a serious chance of messing something up. Spoiler has download links

Backtrack 5:

Windows 7 Install media, choose your language and SP1:

Details on repair install:

If you have a large enough flash drive, at least 8gb, YUMI was super helpful:

In order to reclaim the 100mb EFI partition after everything, I used GParted.

Check your install media by booting into it, selecting your language/currency/time, then click repair in the bottom left. Mine said that I couldn't repair my windows install with that particular disk, but it worked after I got started.

If you get lucky, then you can follow these instructions tailored to your flavor of Linux without any extra hassle:

How to Convert a GPT disk layout to a MS-DOS/MBR layout without data loss (and Gigabyte Hybrid EFI) | firewing1

For me, after step 14, Windows Repair couldn't locate my installation so I had to set my primary partition as active using diskpart from the Windows RE command prompt:

Diskpart

LIST DISK

SELECT DISK (followed by the number of the disk . most likely 1)

LIST PARTITION

SELECT PARTITION (followed by your partition number. most likely 1)

ACTIVE

EXIT

Windows startup recovery should now work.

After that, I started again from step 13 and it worked. Don't forget to change your BIOS to Legacy or MBR boot. Good luck!

1 person likes this

Anyone tried bf4 on a egpu setup? I am worried that my 3360m might not be enough.

Thanks.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I dismounted the eGPU image and removed the eGPU folder from C:, but at startup I still have to choose Windows 8.1 or Setup 1.x . How to remove it completely without the boot interruption?

I dismounted the eGPU image and removed the eGPU folder from C:, but at startup I still have to choose Windows 8.1 or Setup 1.x . How to remove it completely without the boot interruption?

Prior to removing the c:eGPU directory you'd run c:eGPUuninstall-disk-image for it to remove the DIY eGPU Setup 1.x bootitem from BCD/boot.ini. If you've deleted it then at the commandline run 'bcdedit', followed by 'bcdedit /delete {ID}'. eg:

C:>bcdedit

Real-mode Boot Sector

---------------------

identifier {abadcceb-40c1-11e3-b075-b2a36dbf094f}

device partition=C:

path eGPUgrub.exe

description DIY eGPU Setup 1.30

C:>bcdedit /delete {abadcceb-40c1-11e3-b075-b2a36dbf094f}

The operation completed successfully.

I have a problem. When I try to disable the dgpu, it freezes. The keyboard works fine, as the capslock light still responds, but it just sits there at the setpci command and I have to restart the system. Any ideas?

If the dGPU is the primary bootup device, rather than the iGPU, then that is expected. The dGPU should only be disabled if the console is being viewed on an iGPU. The only other instance the dGPU can be disabled is if you are using XP or Win7/8 with XP drivers and are seeing an error 12 on your eGPU AND have insufficient 32-bit PCI config space to perform PCI compaction. There would need to ignore[dGPU] to get a PCI compaction solution. Then you can add a 'call iport dGPU off' to your startup.bat and boot blindly into Windows.

If your configuration differs from the above scenario and are using the latest 1.30 version then please email me to discuss further.

Your recollection of history with regards to the BIOS mods is a bit off. I came to mydigitallife and posed a request for someone to mod the HDX BIOS to remove the whitelist. TTAV134 took up the challenge and achieved it. A fact that can easily be verified. His work was the basis for further HP BIOS mods. Then you came along and did the Dual IDA mod to his work. His work. Another fact that is documented.

Later I approached TTAV134 to make a BIOS mod for my DV5 to remove the whitelist, add DUAL IDA, and unlock advanced menu items. Once again, he succeeded. In all cases, I always gave him proper credit. He doesn't obtusely pretend that he owns either of these mods or the many others he's done for people as a generous favor. In fact, no one on mydigitallife who mods BIOS files makes any sort of claim to them because they know they have ZERO rights to them under any law or circumstance. The modified BIOS files are public domain. That you thought that you were doing me and the HDX community a favor by "allowing" me to continue to host the HDX BIOS files unmolested is obscene. I couldn't believe that you would say something like that to me of all people. The guy that went to bat for you when NO ONE at NBR would.

Also, punishing by proxy is ridiculous and you know that in your heart of hearts. I have to believe that. Otherwise, you're no better than terrorists who believe in such a doctrine. Moreover, those BIOS files are all over the web. Google them and see. That you sent a DMCA take down notice to an innocent poster for something you simply don't own is atrocious and unconscionable. That poster lost his DropBox account that he built up with referrals. You lost the moral high ground doing that. You committed an act of fraud with malicious intent. As a staunch supporter of yours, there's no way I can defend that action of yours. It can't even be twisted into some sort of Holy crusade to find justification. What were you thinking? Bro seriously. What happened to you? Look I get you're justifiably angry at NBR. But are you seeing so much red a full year later that you can't distinguish from right and wrong? The innocent from the "guilty?"

You don't own the BIOS files. They are not your intellectual property. They belong to HP. Modifying them does not make them your property. How you cannot understand that is strange. Don't take my word for it. Ask an attorney. They will invariably tell you the same (unless you retain a shoddy one who will tell you what you want to hear just to take your money). To illustrate; what do you think would happen if you stole Facebook's website code, changed a few lines of code, graphics, and sequence of page presentation and started a website with that code and pretended it was your IP simply because you modified it? Give it an honest thought. The answer should come instantly to mind.

And Chris Leonard is NOT your enemy. He was quite sympathetic to your cause. Quite. He is a very good guy. An excellent dude. Think about his position. Think about the dynamics. Now put yourself in his shoes.

On this one issue with regards to the BIOS files, you are dead wrong my friend. It's all I ask you to drop. Think about that. Think about what I'm saying. Just one issue I'm telling you, you are dead wrong about. That's it.

Friends are going to challenge you. Friends are going to support you. Friends may even disagree with you. But they are still you friends.

Set aside your personal perception of your own good and take a moment to think about the greater good. Those files are not your property and belong in the public domain. You look really bad claiming something as yours that in no uncertain terms isn't. If you want credit for your modification work on the files, yes, that's fair and that's fine. But let's not pretend you did something so monumental as to make it an original copyrightable work. Be honest with yourself bro. Be rational. Be better.

Yeah, whatever. Please take this discussion to a separate thread in the off-topic forum or to PMs if you want privacy.

Bear with me for a second...

You might be thinking... that NBR drama is being brought here. And that isn't entirely incorrect. It's an unavoidable consequence because our friend Nando is charging for the files which technically and legally belong to Hewlett Packard (HP) and details why he does so in the opening post even going so far as telling people to send TechTarget/NBR a $15 bill to compensate them for his compulsory "donation." He also, in his second post, highlights an inflammatory comment made against him by a poster on NBR with respect to distributing these files after losing his Dropbox account. A response to Nando's explicit references and actions with regard to these files is topical.

However, persons host the files outside of NBR and when Nando notices where (by monitoring for links to them posted on NBR as if that's the only place), he issues fraudulent DMCA take down notices to the file host service. The file service hosts aren't going to waste time validating Nando's false claims as doing so isn't cost effective. That's something Nando relies on. However, a challenge to the claims will implicate Nando in criminal activity. So it's very unwise of Nando to be doing this. He's claiming ownership to files which violate HP's IP and potentially Microsoft's and also potentially facilitate criminal activity.

Think of it like this; Imagine someone modifying Mumak's excellent program and subsequently claims that it is his program (the modifier's) and not Mumaks' intellectual property and then charges for it because of the modifications. Or if someone modifies the groundbreaking program ThrottleStop and subsequently claims that the modified version is his program (the modifier's) and not the IP of UncleWebb and then charges for it because of the modifications as if the modifications make it somehow an original work. I doubt the staff here would stand for it. As a personal user of both these excellent programs, I wouldn't stand for someone doing that to these awesome guys who actually own the original work. If I saw it on the web being modified and/or sold, I would let Mumak and Unclewebb know and would support them in their efforts to stop the practice of someone violating their IP rights and depriving them of the compensation due them.

So you see, most importantly, Nando issues DMCA takedown notices on the false grounds of copyright infringement (he's not the owner, HP is) but also on the correct (though hypocritical) grounds that the files contain SLIC 2.1 injected tables which enables activated installations of Windows 7 on computers without a Windows 7 license. The same files he distributes also have SLIC 2.1 injections and are also a violation of Hewlett Packard's intellectual property rights. (I can show the text of Nando's DMCA take down notice claim).

Not that you, or Nando, or certainly myself particularly care about the issue of the SLIC injections. The files are a useful public domain resource for many people as it gives them the freedom of choice without harming the actual copyright owner (That being HP). That is until one decides to sell them (a compulsory donation is indeed a sale). Or of course if one uses them to circumvent Microsoft's IP rights or uses them to install a wifi card that violates international or local communications laws. But that's on the individual.

I ask that you let this discussion run its course just for the very short term. Literally for no more than a few more posts. Why?

Nando's compulsory donation and fraudulent issuance of DMCA takedown notices is technically a criminal action prosecutable by law. It's like a bootlegger charging for a DVD/Bluray simply because he modified portions of the original source with overlays, customized menus, and different chapter breakpoints to which he does not own the IP rights to in the first place. Allowing Nando to demand a donation in exchange for distribution of files he does not have IP rights to makes whomever owns this domain complicit in this flagrant violation of Hewlett Packard's intellectual property rights. And if HP decides to go after these files because of Nando's illegal actions, we all would lose a valuable resource (Nando and the files) and in the broader context would also stand to jeopardize MyDigitalLife's site which specializes is BIOS modifications.

Keeping free and unfettered distribution of modified BIOS files is in the best interest of all involved - both those who modify them and those who would use them.

And if Nando stops or is prevented from illegally demanding compensation for files which he does not legally own and allows unfettered access, feel free to delete all posts with regard to this issue. They would the be moot and look out of place after all. What Nando doesn't realize is that if rightful and unfettered access is granted, I would point people to any download links posted here so other people wouldn't have to host them or share them via email in an effort to avoid his fraudulent and harassing DMCA claims. And you know what? People would discover this excellent forum on account of links pointing to here and would likely join it and perhaps become contributing and productive members. If they have questions about the files, who better to ask than Nando? Right? It's all about being reasonable. :)

Bro' date=' you can't charge for the files. That's straight up theft of intellectual property which belongs to HP. You can't copyright modified intellectual property nor lay any sort of ownership claim to a BIOS unless you're the original copyright or patent holder.

Of the money you received if any, did you compensate HP, TTAV134 (whose work you built off of), the authors of the tools you used?

I'm going to host the files for the benefit of owners everywhere. Those that land on them from a Google search. Those here that want them. Those over at NBR - many of whom, like myself, were staunch advocates of you and were against NBR's banning of you and did the best we could on your behalf. Myself especially. You don't punish the innocents. You don't punish your friends.

I made slight modifications to them all to further nullify your claim to them. If anyone has a claim to them, it's TTAV134, the originator of them. The first to modify them. That you think you could charge for them or lay claim to them is a slap in his face. He deserves all the credit for breaking ground on it.

Now don't get me wrong. The content of your posts over there was yours. No doubt. That was your original work. But the modified BIOS files are not your original work. They were part of collaborative efforts. Technically HP owns them regardless. Don't take this particular issue any further or HP may issue a takedown for all of them. Would that make you happy? Is that right? All you did was change a few bytes which anyone with technical skill could do also. You created nothing with regard to these files. You merely modified another's created work. Namely HP's. And you did so in violation of title 17 of the United States Code.

Come on bro. Be rational about this. You're better than this.

Your other claims against NBR... by all means pursue. They are legitimate. And you know I mean that. But this one particular issue is not in any regard legitimate whatsoever.

I'm going to host these on one of my personal cloud accounts. I trust I won't lose that account due to multiple illegitimate DMCA notices being sent to the cloud service. That would be very unfortunate and disappointing.[/quote']

Wayyy-off legal discussion about the distribution of the modified bios moved to private correspondance.

Here ya go:

Almost sleek narration to make it seem like I have some remote idea of what I'm talking about lol.

---

As requested, showing minimal interaction and a fast bootup:

2 people like this

Hey nando,

i just want to to ask if you has received my payment. i would like to send you a pn, but with less then 5 posts it´s a bit difficult :). i´m posting here because i´m just wondering haven´t received an answer since my payment on 5th. january. if you have answered me, i´m sorry but i didn´t get anything :(. please excuse my lag of englisch, but school belongs to the past and reading is easier then writing :) . hope to hear from you soon.

best regards

jan

You could get one of these for $200.

Firmtek TT-PX ThunderTek/PX Thunderbolt to PCIe... in stock at OWC

Should be able to pull out the useful bit in a few minutes. Downside: only 10Gbps.

As posted by Relentless, there is a $200 10Gbps TB1 enclosure ( FirmTek ThunderTek/PX) and a $480 16Gbps TB2 enclosure (OWC Helios 2 - rebadged Sonnet Echo Express SE II with 3yr rather than 1yr warranty) : http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-259.html#post80870 . Only the Haswell 2013 13" rMBP and 15" MBP have TB2 controllers. All other Macbooks have TB1 controllers.
Yeah I have a 2012, and I'm pretty sure a GPU doesn't come close to 10Gbps so this would be perfect
Does the III-R Mobile Rack kit include PCIe to TB? Doesn't look like it does, but says this:

Note!PCIe cards sold separately; requires Thunderbolt cable

It was listed under sonnets site as a PCIe-TB thing.
The $199 III-R Mobile Rack kit is an extra that can be added to a $1075 Echo Express III-R. You can see how it all pieces together at Sonnet - Echo Express III-R Thunderbolt 2 PCIe Expansion Chassis . Yes, the Echo Express III-R should be $199 instead!! Sonnet obviously targetting the premium end of the market.

Cheapest so far being the $199 FirmTek ThunderTek/PX. At that price it doesn't make any sense to purchase a US$92 PE4L 2.1b + US$132 Sonnet Echo Expresscard II adapter anymore since it (1) costs more overall and (2) is a 5Gbps rather than 10Gbps solution.

Warning - a expresscard eGPU adapter vendor is pushing their x1 2.0 5Gbps solution instead of native 10/16Gbps ones

I've been alerted to a competing vendor that is claiming 5Gbps + Optimus x1 pci-e compression is faster than native 10/16Gbps Thunderbolt1/2. This is not true. 10Gbps TB1 is at least 14% faster: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3062-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-mbp-gtx660ti-hd7870%40x2-2-th05.html Besides, the 10Gbps native TB1 solution can have the eGPU second lane taped so can run at 5Gbps (x1) if really want to in those rare DX9 instances that may see performance benefit in doing so.

Same vendor is also claiming that Optimus internal LCD mode only works in x1 mode. Again, misinformation disproven by same link : http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3062-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-mbp-gtx660ti-hd7870%40x2-2-th05.html .

This illustrates misleading pre-sales info that favors their x1 2.0 expresscard solution using a EC-to-TB adapter for Thunderbolt systems above native Thunderbolt ones for completely false reasons. Buyer beware!!

Ya lost me there.... but I agree all he PCIe-TB solutions are marketed to business and professionals with a way inflated price, and every link I could find googling (MAc external gpu) or (PCIe to tunderbolt) ect. just turned up the PE$L + echo expresscard link from this site.

Hi @Nando.

The Firmtek seems to put out about 36 Watt (specs say 12V at 3.0A) so if you were to power something like a Geforce GTX 770 which needs 230W TDP (for example) and has a 6 pin (75W) and 8 pin (150W) power connector you would have 225W from the power supply and any extra (5W) from the Firmtek?

Is there a minimum power (or percentage of power) that must come from the PCIe connector? or that the graphics card expects to draw from the PCIe connector?

If not then could you just:

1. buy a Firmtek and rip out it's logic board.

2. mount a Geforce card in a chassis with a standard power supply capable of delivering 225W+

3. connect the Firmtek board in place of the motherboard. I am guessing that it will hold on to the PCIe slot well enough without proper mounting.

4. UEFI boot Windows on a Macbook Pro with both the power supplies powered on.

Cheers

Hi @Nando.

The Firmtek seems to put out about 36 Watt (specs say 12V at 3.0A) so if you were to power something like a Geforce GTX 770 which needs 230W TDP (for example) and has a 6 pin (75W) and 8 pin (150W) power connector you would have 225W from the power supply and any extra (5W) from the Firmtek?

Is there a minimum power (or percentage of power) that must come from the PCIe connector? or that the graphics card expects to draw from the PCIe connector?

2. mount a Geforce card in a chassis with a standard power supply capable of delivering 225W+

3. connect the Firmtek board in place of the motherboard. I am guessing that it will hold on to the PCIe slot well enough without proper mounting.

Cheers

Huh? don't you just connect it via the TB port?

This is the only thing I have found with a decent power supply but its not TB, I'm just going to find a small chassis and throw a 500w PSU in there.

I would run a 780 but I heard they don't work on mac for some reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi @Nando.

Cheers

Huh? don't you just connect it via the TB port?

This is the only thing I have found with a decent power supply but its not TB, I'm just going to find a small chassis and throw a 500w PSU in there.

I would run a 780 but I heard they don't work on mac for some reason.

Hi @Nando.

Cheers

Easiest way where no mods to the Firmtek are made would be to plug one of these into the Thundertek/PX slot : PCI Express PCIe 16x Riser Card Ribbon Extend Cable Molex Power Capacity Filter | eBay

$_3.JPG

That's a x16 to x16 pcie extender with molex power. The molex power providing the 12V/75W necessary to drive the slot. That eliminates using the supplied and insufficient 12V/36W AC adapter. It *might* be necessary to shorten the extender from x16 to x4. I say might because I can't quite see if the Thundertek/PX's slot is an open ended x4 one or not and unfortunately ebay doesn't seem to have a x16 to x4 extender. If the slot isn't open ended, then would need to cut down the end that plugs into the Thundertek/PX to be x4 OR you could cut into the Thundertek/PX slot to allow x16 cards to be inserted.

Once the pcie extender has beem added just attach a ATX PSU molex to that connector, attach pci-e power to your video card and that's it for a UEFI implementation. A bootcamp/MBR implementation would need an additional PCI Reset Delay mod added.

Easiest way where no mods to the Firmtek are made would be to plug one of these into the Thundertek/PX slot : PCI Express PCIe 16x Riser Card Ribbon Extend Cable Molex Power Capacity Filter | eBay

That's a x16 to x16 pcie extender with molex power. The molex power providing the 12V/75W necessary to drive the slot. That eliminates using the supplied and insufficient 12V/36W AC adapter. It *might* be necessary to shorten the extender from x16 to x4. I say might because I can't quite see if the Thundertek/PX's slot is an open ended x4 one or not and unfortunately ebay doesn't seem to have a x16 to x4 extender. If the slot isn't open ended, then would need to cut down the end that plugs into the Thundertek/PX to be x4 OR you could cut into the Thundertek/PX slot to allow x16 cards to be inserted.

Once the pcie extender has beem added just attach a ATX PSU molex to that connector, attach pci-e power to your video card and that's it for a UEFI implementation. A bootcamp/MBR implementation would need an additional PCI Reset Delay mod added.

I am soooooo lost... I want to do bootcamp so what is a PCI Reset Delay mod? Is using s Helios way easier or about the same difficulty?

Helios is the same board. Just a different brand name outside, hardware is the same.

You need to cut the wires from the extender if you power the videocard from the PSU, because you don't want the current to flow back in the thunderbolt daughterboard.

Hey Guys,

I am running a GTX660 in a Sonnet Express Pro and almost everything is running out of the box.

All I had to do was edit two kext files: NVDAStartup.kext and IONDRVSupport.kext to enabler Thunderbolt support.

This gives me native support in OSX 10.9 and any game I have tried runs as smooth as it gets.

I have however encountered two minor issues and was hoping somebody here can help me solve:

1. Clamshell mode is not working properly anymore. The MB just sends itself to sleep all the time. I am currently circumventing the problem by running NoSleep! in the background.

2. Hardware acceleration when playing HD vides is all screwed up. Just greenish stripes all over, nothing really decipherable.

Hey,

From what I've heard, it's an issue with Mavericks. I was running a Mac Mini with a 660 with 10.8.3 and everything worked fine, but upgrading to 10.9 caused some hardware acceleration issues.

Here's an article on the TonyMacx86 site that has some people with similar problems in mavericks: Nvidia Hardware Acceleration Issue After Mavericks