OFFICIAL: Alienware M11x-R3 Owners Lounge

Brian

Just wanted to check in with my M11x R3 after over 3 years with it. With a scratched screen, missing keys, and missing rubber feet, the m11x still keep on kicking. The CPU is starting to show its age with it's low clock rate, but overall, it's a great laptop still.

Anybody been able to find any good ways to eek some more performance out of this lappy?

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

just bought myself a second hand faulty m11x r3 off ebay, replaced the motherboard with an i5 i bought and all is good again! Pretty chuffed to have got it all up and running with for a total of 170 quid! I'm about to start turning it into a portable gaming tablet now, so need to learn about how to make it run at its max capabilities when on battery. Any advice/help greatly appreciated!

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/23/2016 at 4:37 AM, madbeast9 said:

I will upload a mod a made for the heatsinks, I added plates to the heatsinks and and several plaques of cooper on the refrigeration system and ram, it decreased a lot the temp.

Where is the mod you made?I was preparing to make a cooling mod myself also but I want to see yours for ideas ;)   Have you the i7 model? What temps do you have on cpu and gpu at idle and full load before and after the mod?  Was it good or it was a waste of time?

• 4 weeks later...

Question, how do i disable Intel HD 3000 and keep just the NVIDIA Card? I'm trying to connect my notebook to a monitor and duplicate both screens but there is no such option on Display Settings.

I've tried to disable it everywhere software-side without any luck. Any help will be very welcome.

• 3 months later...

its 2017 and its a great time to start gaming on my m11x r3 XD. it still runs some of the old games great and i cant believe it.

On 4/3/2015 at 4:30 AM, andrei123 said:

Does anybody know if the i7 R3 works with 16gb of RAM (2x8). On Intel's website it says that the processor only supports 8.

Thank you

yes im running 16gb on mine. i just cant set it to run faster than 1333mhz =(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

You're probably going to run into a CPU performance issue long before you run into a 16GB RAM usage situation.

On 6/14/2017 at 8:11 PM, bootmanbill said:

Is it worth upgrading to 16gb of RAM?

You're probably going to run into a CPU performance issue long before you run into a 16GB RAM usage situation.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I recently scratch built a brand new M11X R3 with the following specs:

i7 2637m w/ 2GB GT 540M

16GB DDR3

INTEL 7260 Wireless AC

512GB Samsung 860 Evo

After learning about the M11X R3 I just had to have one and unfortunately there were none available used so I ended up picking up all the parts for it brand new online and assembled it myself. I absolutely love this laptop for its portability. I have an AW17 R4 and it sucks for use on the go so this seemed like a great laptop for dragging around with me all day. The factory screen was an absolute travesty so I ended up tracking down the best 11.6” I could find (AUO B116XAN03.0) and am currently waiting for it to arrive. For now I’m running the LCD out of the R1 which isn’t amazing but it’s 1000x better than what comes with the R3. Anybody else running this LCD?

Edited by speach

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I just upgraded my HD to a new 860 Samsung SSD. I wanted to change the boot setting to UEFI from LEGACY, but there's no option like that. I'm running with A05 BIOS. Because of that I can't install any OS on the new SSD :(

• Bios Modder
4 hours ago, marcinger said:

Hi All,

I just upgraded my HD to a new 860 Samsung SSD. I wanted to change the boot setting to UEFI from LEGACY, but there's no option like that. I'm running with A05 BIOS. Because of that I can't install any OS on the new SSD :(

Hi!

You can try to flash unlocked bios from this thread:  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2018. 10. 21. at 1:58 PM, Klem said:

Hi!

You can try to flash unlocked bios from this thread:  

I will give that a go! Also what are the normal operating temperatures for the R3? While I was playing World of Warcraft my cpu was around 90 degrees in Celsius :/ Also my cpu load was around 60% so probably the heat is coming from the GPU. I took the laptop apart recently and applied some new thermal paste. Now the results are far more interesting. If the CPU is not under load the temps are around 60 degrees. If the system is under load this will go up around 75. :( 

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 10/22/2018 at 3:07 PM, marcinger said:

I will give that a go! Also what are the normal operating temperatures for the R3? While I was playing World of Warcraft my cpu was around 90 degrees in Celsius :/ Also my cpu load was around 60% so probably the heat is coming from the GPU. I took the laptop apart recently and applied some new thermal paste. Now the results are far more interesting. If the CPU is not under load the temps are around 60 degrees. If the system is under load this will go up around 75. :( 

Mine loads up to about 70 degrees when playing World of Warcraft Classic, but I do have about 3cm space under the fan to keep easy airflow.

Since I got mine and its still on the original thermal paste/pads I will refresh all that and keep you guys posted for the temps. :D

• 1 month later...

I have an i7 R3 with Windows 10 installed. It doesn't seem to have an issue so far. Unfortunately I'll have to sell it soon though. 

Also, yes, you will need a new motherboard to upgrade to the i7. The good thing is you should also get the 2GB 540M. I can't remember exactly but I think the i5 usually came with the 1GB card. 

I used to have a few M11x's but sold them all a few years ago. I only just managed to get my hands on one again but a few bills have come up so I'm probably going to have to sell it. The wife wasn't happy when she found it in the cupboard last week. Apparently I'm not good at hiding things.

I never got a chance to swap the HDD out for an SSD or install the unlocked BIOS. I may run out and put a cheap 240gb SSD in her before selling. It's still running A04 I believe. It's in perfect condition. It's the Nebula Red with i7 2617M and 2GB 540M. 

I did install the unlocked A05 on one of my old machines years ago but I never messed around with it. They are great machines but limited to how much power you can unleash from them. The bigger machines with extreme CPU's are better with the unlocked BIOS'. 

Wow $100 is a great deal! I got mine for $220AUD which is about $150USD but they are very rare down here so they are usually worth around the $400AUD mark. I used to have the small briefcase for it. I remember it being a really tight fit. I will try to keep mine but if I get a good offer I will let it go. 

You have 6 posts so you should be able to download the file once they see it and upgrade your account. Hit them up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome. My first Alienware was back in 2011 with an M17x R3 and shortly after I got my first M11x R3. I still have a picture of them side by side the day I got the M11x. The size difference was pretty funny. Then I got my first M18x R2 and it was David VS Goliath but poor David never had a chance. 

At one stage I had an M11x, M14x, M15x, M17x and M18x. I think I have a picture of them all lined up side by side somewhere.