How to reduce Windows 7 boot time

Guest Alienware-Natalia_J

Guest Alienware-Natalia_J

Just by tweaking your PC you can significantly improve your boot time. One of the ways to do this is to get rid of the Windows GUI thats shows up while your system is booting.

What is GUI?

GUI stands for Graphic User Interface. This is the Windows Logo that appears at start up.

So, deactivating this basically means that there will be NO boot screen animation. On the other hand, your boot time will decrease by 6-8 seconds.

This is not a lot, but if you apply some other tweaks it will all add up and you can perfectly optimize your boot time.

How do you do this?

1. Click on Start and type msconfig into the search box, then click on msconfig.exe at the top

1_zpsb446ffb5.jpg

2. Select the “Boot” tab.

3. Check the option “No GUI Boot” and enter “3″ seconds as your timeout.

2_zpsecc412a0.jpg

**Note: When you change the timeout to 3 seconds, if you dual-boot Windows 7, then you will only have 3 seconds to pick another OS. The timer will stop when you hit a key, so 3 seconds is still a “safe” setting.

Thanks Natalia, I knew of this method but not of its implications. I didnt know of the 3 second delay as a recommendation thanks for the info. The time saved adds up if you turn off your computer after use everytime. Your guide is greatly appreciated Natalia.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Disable starting items is one way to reduce. Another way is get a solid state drive,it will make boot time get in to 20s.

And, careful with choose anti-virus software,I personal recommend to use Avast or Bitdenfer.

Oh, by the way, don't install more than one anti-virus software,if do so sometime they might cause conflict, and make boot time up to 1~2 mintues.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I dont shut down the computer, but go to hibernate (not standby). It wakes up much faster from hibernate then doing a full fresh bootup. Plus all your apps are still open and ready to use.

• 2 weeks later...