M18x R2 7970m voltage weirdness

Alexander Kim

• Founder

It should have worked unless it requires a force flash (-f). Otherwise try a different monitoring program to check the voltages. If that still doesn't work, then you will have to wait on @svl7 to get back from training before he can address it.

• Founder
so i can write atiflash -f 0 my.rom, right?

HWinfo64 and GPU-Z not showing my voltages...

@Mumak will know about the voltages showing up in hwinfo. BTW, it may be that the second GPU just reports the voltage higher than GPU 1. Another user here on T|I mentioned the same thing about his GPU's. And about the command, yes you can use that but if it never gave you an error the first time, then -f won't make a difference. It's only used to force a flash when it complains of a device id mismatch.

@Mumak will know about the voltages showing up in hwinfo. BTW, it may be that the second GPU just reports the voltage higher than GPU 1. Another user here on T|I mentioned the same thing about his GPU's. And about the command, yes you can use that but if it never gave you an error the first time, then -f won't make a difference. It's only used to force a flash when it complains of a device id mismatch.

ok, thanks. I think i have issues because of higher voltage on 2nd gpu... ie black screens when i play darksiders 2

MSI kombustor also shows 1.075v on 2nd gpu.. maybe its A03 bios messed up my videocards?

HWiNFO might not report GPU voltage/clocks on 2nd GPU because of ULPS. When ULPS is active and the 2nd GPU is not utilized, the system shuts down the card completely and you must not touch it on low-level (otherwise you risk a system crash). Maybe that causes problems with flashing too..

So try to put some load on the 2nd GPU or use Sapphire TRiXX to disable ULPS (at least temporary).

• Thumbs Up 3

HWiNFO might not report GPU voltage/clocks on 2nd GPU because of ULPS. When ULPS is active and the 2nd GPU is not utilized, the system shuts down the card completely and you must not touch it on low-level (otherwise you risk a system crash). Maybe that causes problems with flashing too..

So try to put some load on the 2nd GPU or use Sapphire TRiXX to disable ULPS (at least temporary).

Thanks, as i posted above i tried msi kombustor and it showed 1.075v on 2nd gpu though i flashed them both with 0.975v in 3d mode. (reflashed like 10 times.. 2nd gpu seems like won't take any undervolt or overvolt)

Well, if you really flashed the vbios on both cards and you still get different readings then I'd say it's probably an issue with the monitoring software, or the AMD display library (which I guess is the api that most monitor software uses to get these values...)

Well, if you really flashed the vbios on both cards and you still get different readings then I'd say it's probably an issue with the monitoring software, or the AMD display library (which I guess is the api that most monitor software uses to get these values...)

But i tried different drivers - i got the same reading -> increased voltage on 2nd gpu. Is there any other way to check real information?

If you want real values you need to measure the voltage directly at the gpu, but if you really have the same vbios on both cards then it must be related to the monitoring software of amd api.

If you want real values you need to measure the voltage directly at the gpu, but if you really have the same vbios on both cards then it must be related to the monitoring software of amd api.

So should i care? I flashed both videocards with undervolted vBios 0.975v, 1st GPU shows right voltage, but other 1.075v. Tried to change clocks on 2nd gpu and its worked. So it's bug in AMD drivers i hope.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I experienced with multiple 7970m cards... (by multiple I mean like.... 3+ different sets) They all seemed to read different voltages... I would just test the cards and if every works I wouldnt sweat it.... I went through the same dilemma a month ago... I have a set right now that would read .975 on 1 and the other 1.05 and works perfectly fine... My advice is to just ignore the volts unless cards start giving you problems.

• Thumbs Up 1