OFFICIAL: Alienware M14x / AW 14 Owners Lounge

Brian

Hello Guys, hold the boobs for a moment,

A fix is being processed for the random shut downs due to gaming with the battery. It should be released on May 19th or so. The problem is due to an Nvidia BiOS.

You know where all this came from.

-end of report-

proceed with the boobs.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Founder
Hello Guys, hold the boobs for a moment,

A fix is being processed for the random shut downs due to gaming with the battery. It should be released on May 19th or so. The problem is due to an Nvidia BiOS.

You know where all this came from.

-end of report-

proceed with the boobs.

Thanks for the heads up, very interesting news, any estimate on the fix?

Ark- only disable the icon itself on the start bar. Don't actually uninstall the driver itself. Dont you have a SSD? You certainly want it if you have a SSD.

But i remove mine all the time as I hate having that extra icon on my bar.

Best Wishes,

StevenX

I hope it all works out and the Vbios gets a good update... you know I used Dell vbios update for HD5870M to overclock... maybe you guys can do the same on the Nvidia chipset!

I have a m14x and I am trying to use the nvidia video card with grand theft auto 4 and I am having troubles with it not recognizing the nvidia card. It tries to use the lower intel video card and I am a computer illiterate so you might have to explain somethings twice for me. sorry! Please please help I want to run gta 4 at the higher settings. Please please send me either a private message or something if anyone knows how to fix this thanks so much ^-^

Edited by katgirlhinata

• Founder
I have a m14x and I am trying to use the nvidia video card with grand theft auto 4 and I am having troubles with it not recognizing the nvidia card. It tries to use the lower intel video card and I am a computer illiterate so you might have to explain somethings twice for me. sorry! Please please help I want to run gta 4 at the higher settings. Please please send me either a private message or something if anyone knows how to fix this thanks so much ^-^

Hi Katgirlhinata,

Welcome to the T|I forum! Unfortunately this seems to be a pervasive problem with Optimus ranging from M11x to the M17x-R3. The only real workaround is to try "whitelisting" applications to take advantage of the discrete GPU (nvidia 555M). Take a look at this video for a quick tutorial:

• Thumbs Up 1

oki I tried that and it still wont work.. and I tried the no restrictions option as well.. it is frusterating.. and it wont let me download the drivers either is it a glitch? why does dell and/or rockstar have to be sooo stupid.. I was soo looking forward to playing this game in high quality

• Founder

Are you using the default dell drivers or did you update them recently? You shouldn't need to download the driver, simply open your nVidia control panel-->manage 3d settings-->program settings and then select "Add" to choose the .exe file for GTA IV (if it's a steam download, you might need to go into the steam apps folder to find it). Select the nVidia graphics processor and hit apply and it should work at that point.

If whitelisting doesn't fix it for you then it could be a power plan issue (check to make sure you are on high performance) and that the system is plugged in.

Hey katgirlhinata, welcome to the forum, let me ask you, do you have this problem when your laptop is pluged in and on high performance mode?

I had not tried on high performance ^^; I was just now figured this out sorry as I said I am not the brightest with computers at times but it is plugged in.

Cheers Katgirl.. Please dont gauge performance by GTA 4. It's one of the worst console ports ever and even monster machines have trouble running it well. Please post and let us know if we can do anything to help or improve your m14x experience. StevenX

This is completely true... I had times where GTA 4 would crash and no other game was so although it frustrated me a lot I found a work around which was lowering certain settings that slowed game-play to a crawl. I found this here which explains what settings affect performance so set according and leastwise you'd have a playable GTA experience. I know its design is poor but you should be able to play.

Here's what Fellix_bg at rage3d.com had to say!

Quote:

Actually, the PC "port" of the game boasts some more advanced features, beyond what the consoles are capable of:

Quote:

THE GRAPHIC SETTINGS OF GRAND THEFT AUTO IV PC

Most users using current PC hardware as of December 2008 are advised to use medium graphics settings. Higher settings are provided for future generations of PCs with higher specifications than are currently widely available.

Graphics settings are limited by system resources by default. 256MB video cards force minimum settings by default. If a user bypasses these safety measures using command line arguments and exceeds their system resources, the users gaming experience may be compromised.

Video Mode

Resolution scaling effects water, reflections, shadows, mirrors and the visible viewable distance. The resolution settings relate to the amount of available video memory. At 2560*1600 the game will require 320MB of video memory in addition to all the memory required for content. At 800*600 the game will require 32MB of video memory in addition to the content. Medium resolution settings are recommended for most users as higher settings are only usable if there is available video memory.

Texture Quality

Texture quality affects the visual quality of the content of the game. High setting for textures will require 600MB of video memory at a setting of 21 View Distance in addition to the memory taken by the Video Mode. A medium texture setting is recommended for most users.

Render Quality

Render quality is the texture filter quality used on most things in the world rendering. Most people would know this as anisotropic filtering. Medium settings are recommended for most users and will provide filtering beyond what the console versions can execute.

View Distance

View distance scales the distance in which different objects in the world such as building and cars are seen. Raising this option increases the distance in which high quality objects must be loaded and will increase the memory it requires. Restrictions are established to ensure the game runs optimally for most users. A setting of 22 or more will provide PC users an enhanced experience over the console versions.

Detail Distance

Detail distance scales aspects of the environment that the View Distance setting does not including vegetation, trash and other moveable objects. A setting of 10 would be the equivalent to the performance on a console. This setting has little effect on memory.

Vehicle Density

Vehicle density scales the traffic density of the traffic in the game. It has no effect on the mission vehicles or difficultly of the game, but can have a significant impact on CPU performance

Shadow Density

Shadow Density controls the number of shadows generated for positional lights in exterior environments. These shadows are exclusive to the PC version and can have a major impact on CPU and GPU performance.

Crossfire/SLI

With the latest ATI driver (8-11 series) the game supports crossfire modes (ie. 4870x2)

SLI is currently unsupported. Support will be added through a future game patch as well as an updated Nvidia driver.

It's mostly due to memory size limitations.

It's my way, or... hell, it's my way!

End Quote:

You can check it out here: GTA IV: Radeon graphics cards cause crashes - Rage3D Discussion Area